5th Wheel and Goose Neck Prep Package - After Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rexanald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lots of details here so please read all before responding. When i purchased my truck, it did not have the 5th wheel NOR the goose neck prep package in it. Fast forward now to a little over a year, I am in need of both a 5th wheel (for hauling a camper) and a goose neck (for hauling an equipment trailer. I contacted my local dealership about this and SPECIFICALLY stated I wanted to have my truck prepped for a 5th wheel mount AND gooseneck. That I was needing the goose neck right away but would need the 5th wheel within a couple weeks to pickup a camper. Parts guy ordered it all up and then we ran into massive setbacks with the parts actually arriving. I even went as far to having to drive 1.5 hours down to Louisville to pickup the primary part number. I questioned the parts desk at my local store AND in Louisville, stating that I felt it wasn't the right part number. The part number that was ordered was 82213981, which included the rear stanchions (the two holes closest to the tailgate where you would insert the chain tie downs if you were hauling a goose neck OR where the rear legs would lock into if you were hauling a 5th wheel). This part number DID not include the front stanchions that would be needed for the front legs of a 5th wheel. The parts desk insured me it was correct for what I was asking for and he had some other parts that were waiting at the shop so I assumed that being he was a parts manager for Mopar that he likely new what he was talking about. I dropped my truck off for the install and once i picked it up, low and behold, it was wrong. It only contained the goose neck plate and the two holes nearest to the tailgate for the chain tie downs.
I had questioned the parts guy prior telling him that it seems like I needed to ALSO order part number 82213980AB. He stated that what he had already ordered was right. 82213980AB only includes the 4 holes for the stanchions but nothing for the goose neck plate.

When I picked my truck up, I called the parts guy and told him it was wrong. He said he would contact Chrysler in regards to it. He called me back this morning and said Chrysler says that I cannot have both on my truck. That I cannot have a 5th wheel AND a goose neck prep package installed. That I can only have ONE or the OTHER. I argued that it was an ignorant comment due to the fact they sell my exact truck on their lots with BOTH setups.

Looking for help and guidance here. For ease of help, info is broken down below and I have included links to the Mopar parts page so you can see the diagram.

2016 RAM 2500 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Part Number: 82213981 - Goose Neck Prep Kit
Part Number: 82213980AB - 5th Wheel Prep Kit

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah, that doesn't make sense. I have a '17 2500 and it specifically states on the build sheet "5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep Grp"

Reactions: SyN

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is putting a GN adaptor on the pin of your camper an option? You wouldn’t have to switch back and fourth every time you changed trailers.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The deal is there is no consolidated parts kit for both, and no kit for just the 2 fronts that I know of. You order the gooseneck kit and the fifth-wheel kit and end up with 2 extra rear stanchions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Andersen 5th wheel hitch....problem solved

OP
OP
rexanald

rexanald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The deal is there is no consolidated parts kit for both, and no kit for just the 2 fronts that I know of. You order the gooseneck kit and the fifth-wheel kit and end up with 2 extra rear stanchions.

I am fine with that deal, to an extent. It su ks to have paid for extra parts, but for them to tell me that I cant have both seems odd seeing how RAM sells them out the factory with BOTH. Looking at the two part number diagrams there is nothing that would hinder the install of either prep kits. See below.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.43.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.43.45 PM.png

OP
OP
rexanald

rexanald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is putting a GN adaptor on the pin of your camper an option? You wouldn’t have to switch back and fourth every time you changed trailers.

I looked into that option, but having a 6.5' bed, it would be nice to have the sliding 5th wheel setup for pulling my camper. I work on a farm and help my girlfriends grandpa haul round bails and equipment... thats the only need for a goose neck setup. But the 5th wheel will get used more. The issue is that I was told they would the setup for me, and when questioned about the parts promised it was correct. And when i picked up my truck, it wasn't what I asked for. And so I paid over $1,100 between parts and labor for half of the setup I was told I would get.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hear ya. Going through the same thing with my dads truck right now (2012 Crew Cab Short Bed). He’s already got a GN in the bed and just bought a 5th wheel camper. Trying to adapt it to get it home without having to install rails. Plus not spend a fortune on GN to 5’er adapters or vice versa.

OP
OP
rexanald

rexanald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hear ya. Going through the same thing with my dads truck right now (2012 Crew Cab Short Bed). He’s already got a GN in the bed and just bought a 5th wheel camper. Trying to adapt it to get it home without having to install rails. Plus not spend a fortune on GN to 5’er adapters or vice versa.

Some of those adapters are $500ish... dont get me wrong a full 5th wheel hitch is going to run me $1,500 range, but I am really wanting it for the ride stability and comfort.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Andersen ultimate hitch is the answer to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I picked my truck up, I called the parts guy and told him it was wrong. He said he would contact Chrysler in regards to it. He called me back this morning and said Chrysler says that I cannot have both on my truck. That I cannot have a 5th wheel AND a goose neck prep package installed. That I can only have ONE or the OTHER. I argued that it was an ignorant comment due to the fact they sell my exact truck on their lots with BOTH setups.

Looking for help and guidance here. For ease of help, info is broken down below and I have included links to the Mopar parts page so you can see the diagram.

Can't have both?..strange I am almost positive my buddy has this same set up from the factory

OP
OP
rexanald

rexanald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I called my dealership back and the parts guy swears Mopar told him it COULDN'T BE DONE! I diplomatically told him to use some common sense and to push Mopar more... That they obviously have trucks on their lot with this setup. I called another dealership that is actually more local for me and they are looking into this as well. I am just wanting the original dealership to rectify it as I paid $781.xx in parts and another $300 for the install and it wasn't what i specifically asked them for... If I go to the new dealership, I will have to pay for the 5th wheel prep kit and then another install price.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of details here so please read all before responding. When i purchased my truck, it did not have the 5th wheel NOR the goose neck prep package in it. Fast forward now to a little over a year, I am in need of both a 5th wheel (for hauling a camper) and a goose neck (for hauling an equipment trailer. I contacted my local dealership about this and SPECIFICALLY stated I wanted to have my truck prepped for a 5th wheel mount AND gooseneck. That I was needing the goose neck right away but would need the 5th wheel within a couple weeks to pickup a camper. Parts guy ordered it all up and then we ran into massive setbacks with the parts actually arriving. I even went as far to having to drive 1.5 hours down to Louisville to pickup the primary part number. I questioned the parts desk at my local store AND in Louisville, stating that I felt it wasn't the right part number. The part number that was ordered was 82213981, which included the rear stanchions (the two holes closest to the tailgate where you would insert the chain tie downs if you were hauling a goose neck OR where the rear legs would lock into if you were hauling a 5th wheel). This part number DID not include the front stanchions that would be needed for the front legs of a 5th wheel. The parts desk insured me it was correct for what I was asking for and he had some other parts that were waiting at the shop so I assumed that being he was a parts manager for Mopar that he likely new what he was talking about. I dropped my truck off for the install and once i picked it up, low and behold, it was wrong. It only contained the goose neck plate and the two holes nearest to the tailgate for the chain tie downs.
I had questioned the parts guy prior telling him that it seems like I needed to ALSO order part number 82213980AB. He stated that what he had already ordered was right. 82213980AB only includes the 4 holes for the stanchions but nothing for the goose neck plate.

Your part numbers are right. You will also need the 7 way plug, that mounts in the bed:

https://moparonlineparts.com/25003500-fifth-wheel-gooseneck-wiring-harness-p-2858.html

There should be no issue installing all 3 kits. You will have extra rear stanchions leftover.

OP
OP
rexanald

rexanald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your part numbers are right. You will also need the 7 way plug, that mounts in the bed:

https://moparonlineparts.com/25003500-fifth-wheel-gooseneck-wiring-harness-p-2858.html

There should be no issue installing all 3 kits. You will have extra rear stanchions leftover.

The got the harness in already. All-in-all, did a very good job with lining of the holes and everything. Very clean install. You can see the plug on the left side of the bed right by the edge where the tail gate closes.IMG_9123.JPG

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks good. They just need to cut 2 more holes, and bolt up the front 2 stanchions.

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s on the list, still waiting to hear back from Keystone.
The Andersen Ultimate Hitch is a great option. I had a 39' fifth wheel that I towed with a RAM 3500 that had the gooseneck/5th wheel package and used the Andersen hitch. It towed great and never had any issues. The best part was how light the hitch was and I could put it in and take out in a matter of minutes. My previous 5th wheel hitch was extremely heavy and a serious pain to install. It's definitely an option worth considering....

rcmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine