5th Wheel Mounting Options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey first post here.
My truck came with a Draw-Tite Under Bed goose neck hitch. I have a 32' 5ver and am looking to get this rig setup for hauling. I seem to have 3 options
1) install rails to mount the 5th wheel hitch into the truck.
2) convert the 5th wheel into a goose neck (new pin box or adapter like Convert a ball)
3) *my preferred option* Get a rail plate that mounts into the under bed mechanism like the Curt X5 Plate.

My problems with these options are as follows
Option 1. I really prefer not to have rails in my truck bed again. Even though this is the cheapest option.
Option 2. I'm not sure the goose neck option will allow me the turning radius with an adapter or a new pin box. And the new pin box is a bit pricey. Not to mention that the goose neck is going to limit my parking situation just a tad as I usually keep my trailer nose high when stored and pull my truck up under the hitch so it is all covered.
Option 3. I cannot seem to find an adapter plate to match my Draw-Tite under bed goose neck hitch. They seem to be either for Curt, or B&M under bed and not the Draw-Tite.

Before I settle for Option 1. I am wanting to know if anyone has a better solution. For Option 3? I am also looking for the the measurements for the pin on the adapter plate they have so I can determine if it might work with some modification, or the measurements off the bottom of your ball mount. Below is a link to an adapter plate that I think fits the bill except it would probably require modification, but then again if i had measurements it might not need any modifications. (not sure)

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Demco-RV/DM6140.html

I really appreciate any advise you can provide.
Thanks.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Option #4 Andersen Ultimate Hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me risk taking the devil's advocate position. I'm not sure about the Anderson, a lot of weight, both downward and bi-directional on a design like the Anderson. I admit failures are few and far between but the failures are consistent regardless the cause of the failure.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1512924-hitch-falure.html

How about B&W's single point attachment
https://www.suspensionconnection.co...FE7o877eIRbgMWj11VovoGq-SsZEV1vhoC4ucQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

moparsigfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Let me risk taking the devil's advocate position. I'm not sure about the Anderson, a lot of weight, both downward and bi-directional on a design like the Anderson. I admit failures are few and far between but the failures are consistent regardless the cause of the failure.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1512924-hitch-falure.html

How about B&W's single point attachment
https://www.suspensionconnection.co...FE7o877eIRbgMWj11VovoGq-SsZEV1vhoC4ucQAvD_BwE

Hi,

Anyone know why this solution can’t be used with a standard gooseneck ball connection? As states it must be used with B&W’s turnover ball system. I would think that all you need is the factory gooseneck ball to get the same results?

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
C

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for pointing out the Anderson. The one draw back (and perhaps it is not needed) is my current hitch is a manual slider hitch. I'm thinking (not real sure) but I think my old Duramax bed had a bit more clearance. But the interesting thing here is this give me more ideas on what to do if I wish to fab something up myself. I' came close a time or two to having my TT touch my cab, but in all honestly I only needed to use the slider once in 9 years of pulling my TT. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an Anderson on the cheap too. My 5ver is only 32' and weighs well under the 24k lbs of the Anderson limit. Then there is the jerky nature of my Reese 5th wheel which I believe this would solve. And don't even get me to dreaming about something that weigh's 30 lbs.

I'm hoping I can make this work. :)

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for pointing out the Anderson. The one draw back (and perhaps it is not needed) is my current hitch is a manual slider hitch.

By no means am I an expert, but I believe that the Anderson offers several inches of offset mounting by simply installing the hitch 180 degrees opposite of normal. That puts the mounting point further back.

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the b&w turnover ball and a super glide that I adapted to be installed like the b&w companion. I got the companion shank from b&w and fit it to the front of the superglide, then the super glide was welded to two skis/runners made out of 2" hitch stock that run 'longways' in the bed, that lifts the hitch to the right height. As a safety precaution I also mounted a crossmember under the bed towards the rear of the truck so the rear of the hitch is bolted down too. It's heavy but it works perfect and allows you the turning radius you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say convert your 5er to a gooseneck

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I say convert your 5er to a gooseneck

I think some 5th wheel manufacturers frown on this conversion. I've heard they will void warranties on the frame which may or may not matter to OP.

Is a slider hitch needed? A 32' 5th is relatively small so even with a 6.5' bed you may be okay.

I have the B/W slider and really like it. The only drawbacks are the weight (both moving it in/out and having it count against payload) and the cost.

OP
OP
C

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I believe converting is probably not an issue for most manufactures. And by converting I mean to say remove your current pin box and replace it with a goose neck style pinbox. I believe what they have a problem with is the adapters that attache to your standard 5th wheel pinbox that then mount to the goose neck ball. (but that is just my opinion on it)

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The frame manufacturer (Lippert) for most of the 5th wheel campers has approved one of the gooseneck hitches for use with their frames. It is called the Goosebox pin box and is made by Reese. I believe Lippert or the company that owns Lippert also owns Reese so that may have something to do with it. Regardless, Lippert will not void your warrantee if you use one of these and a standard gooseneck ball on the truck. I am seriously considering using this set up.

DuallyLaramie3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Be careful when considering the gooseneck option. I have a 2018 Montana 5th wheel (tow vehicle is Laramie 3500 diesel 4x4) and bought all the adapters to convert to gooseneck. Read a post somewhere stating I "could" void my warranty by converting, so I called Keystone. Sure enough, it would have voided my warranty as the pin box is not configured structurally to take the pounding a gooseneck connection would create. "Standard" hitches absorb the pounding, goosenecks transfer the beating to the frame of the fiver around the pin box...for what it's worth.

PyroParaPig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2016 2500 Mega cab which has the 6.5' bed. I also pull a 5er and decided to go with the Superglide hitch. I am very happy with that choice. The hitch automatically moves back from the forward position every time you turn, in forward gear or while backing. I can actually go a full 90 degree turn without clearance problems. Yes, it is pricey but well worth it. I did not have the 5th wheel prep in my truck so I had to have everything installed and the hitch, $2,000 at Camping World including the wiring. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think some 5th wheel manufacturers frown on this conversion. I've heard they will void warranties on the frame which may or may not matter to OP.

Is a slider hitch needed? A 32' 5th is relatively small so even with a 6.5' bed you may be okay.

I have the B/W slider and really like it. The only drawbacks are the weight (both moving it in/out and having it count against payload) and the cost.

I checked with the dealer where I purchased my 5ver and they had absolutely no concerns putting an adapter on or converting to a goose neck pinbox. I' am still looking for a deal on the Anderson though. I like just about everything about it.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I checked with the dealer where I purchased my 5ver and they had absolutely no concerns putting an adapter on or converting to a goose neck pinbox. I' am still looking for a deal on the Anderson though. I like just about everything about it.
Dealers will tell you anything to make a sale, because it will be on you. Call the trailer manufacturer, and ask them.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

Really looking seriously at one of these units but will ask a lot of questions to the camper manufacturer that we have selected.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A gooseneck adapter will put more stress on your trailer frame.