6.4 HD oil leak 10K mi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Smelled some burt oil real slight, checked for leaks, didn't see any. Took a 150 mi trip two days later,truck was smoking in the rear view. pulled over, noticed oil from the filter location to the spare.First oil change I did myself, 4K mi, , wix xp, PUP, I'm OCD on maint cleanliness. Second at 8k had the dealer do with my supplies wix,PUP etc, The dont sell any 6.4s they said no oil in stock. $20 labor, with tire rotation. While they were looking into the Exhaust noise ( normal they say HA HA ) anyway, the filter was so loose I could move it with two fingers!, and 1/4 qt low.Tightened filter drove home power washes the underside, the yellow bilsteen shocks were black. Pissed. Still have a weep at the filter today.Could be residual. Going to put a new filter this afternoon, and see if there is any problems above the location, like the oil cooler lines etc. Maybe the Tech didn't remove the gasket from the previous filter. Maybe check lugnut's ridiculous, that I have to check their work. Dealer is not that close by. Any other thing to check,thoughts?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This is why I avoid dealerships. Techs don't normally do oil changes and tire rotations. Its the disgruntled millennial making $8.32/hr servicing your truck. I'd definitely change that filter properly, re-torque your lugnuts and chalk this up as a lesson learned.

OP
OP
wgreggking

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Yup, the only reason was, i wanted the dealer to listen to my exhaust leak sound,and maybe establish some rapport with the service writer,if that sound continues. Ive changed hundreds of filters, and only had one leak, which I fixed before it went out of the garage.I had a bronco that at a tire place, they forgot to put the lugnuts on, when he backed it off the lift and the 2 wheels fell off right in front of my eyes!

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Correction: Lesson learned #2.

OP
OP
wgreggking

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Just installed the new filter. The culprit was a substantial nick across the gasket and maybe not tightened correctly. I really like the little oil tray on the 2500.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's all it takes for the Seal. Wonder if they even oiled the gasket at all before install. Glad you have it fixed.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wrap my oil tray in tin foil and poke a hole in the tin foil where that trey drain is and when I’m done the tin foil goes to the oil waste place with my filter, my plastic drain spill thing below the filter looks brand new.

OP
OP
wgreggking

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I spent 2 hours between pressure washing and rag with brake cleaner still only 95% clean. No leaks though !!!

OP
OP
wgreggking

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Damned if you take it to the dealer, damned if you don't, "Lesson learned #3" but then again I could be dead tomorrow so...... all is good THX.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Damned if you take it to the dealer, damned if you don't, "Lesson learned #3" but then again I could be dead tomorrow so...... all is good THX.

Yep. Then if you do all your own work they play the, "well how do we know it was serviced" game. It's really all ridiculous.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
glad you got it figured out!

agree with the others, this is exactly why I do all my own work, regardless of any cost savings. my peace of mind knowing everything is done right is well worth it. just my .02, thanks

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
glad you got it figured out!

agree with the others, this is exactly why I do all my own work, regardless of any cost savings. my peace of mind knowing everything is done right is well worth it. just my .02, thanks

Exactly!!! You save little to no money doing it yourself but the peace of mind is worth plenty. It is really sad though. One likes to think the dealers would be better than that. It used to be you paid a premium at the dealer for service but the work was done by qualified mechanics that have pride in their work. Now that is really hard to find anywhere.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Exactly!!! You save little to no money doing it yourself but the peace of mind is worth plenty. It is really sad though. One likes to think the dealers would be better than that. It used to be you paid a premium at the dealer for service but the work was done by qualified mechanics that have pride in their work. Now that is really hard to find anywhere.

no doubt about it. not to say they are all bad. (dealers), but I've experienced myself and head enough horror stories that as long as the Lord will allow, I'm going to spin my own wrenches on my vehicles and equipment. that way if something isn't right, I only have myself to blame

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i brought my truck into the quick service lane at my local dodge dealer to install my new wheel and tire package.

he impacted the lugs and handed me the keys. i said no. he said the dealer doesnt give them torque wrenches because they use their own tools, and the dealer doesnt require proper torque to lugs on heavy duty trucks? f-off

not sure i can even trust the heavy work techs(warranty and major jobs)

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Wow...

WOW...

Just... wow. My head exploded with that. Safety, liability, people's lives... No words. Just 'wow'.

yep, absolutely ridiculous. you can't rely on torque sticks either. there's a torque spec in the owners manual for a reason. the lug nuts are supposed to be torqued! period, not just run them on with an impact gun and call it good. that's b.s., as is the excuse he couldn't torque them becase they don't have a torque wrench.

I'd look for another service department!

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
The torque sticks we use in our shops (8-10" long looking extension on an impact gun) are 65 lb-ft. If you don't torque to proper spec and just leave as-is... that's a guaranteed lost wheel after 100-500 miles.

I am baffled that any shop would actually let a vehicle go out the door without checking torque AT LEAST once. I skim the threads at work, my coworkers even got a terrified-chuckle out of that.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the statements from the tech...remember, this is the quick service 10 bay open every day building.

me-what did you torque the lugs too?
"i used an impact gun"
me-you didnt use a torque wrench?
"we buy and maintain our own tools, i dont own a torque wrench"
me-Dont you torque down wheel lugs?
"i just use the impact gun, but i can go look for a torque wrench"
me-what does that gun torque down to?
"its at least 90PSI"
me-Please go find the torque wrench now. doesnt the Dealer train and require that all bolts and lugs be Torqued to spec?
tech-"-Shrug-"

i have no problem what so ever telling all of you in south florida....this is Joey Accardi Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram in Pompano Beach, FL...
i have purchased a wrangler from them awhile ago, and bought the powerwagon elsewhere. i was going to service here because i live next door.

when i go in for simple warranty items like cab lights, transmission,seat movement, uneven ramboxes, it gets sent to "heavy work" techs. i will certainly meet the tech before any major work, but if i can find an ultra reliable and knowledgeable gear head tech, ill be satisfied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead