6.4 HD oil leak 10K mi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The torque sticks we use in our shops (8-10" long looking extension on an impact gun) are 65 lb-ft. If you don't torque to proper spec and just leave as-is... that's a guaranteed lost wheel after 100-500 miles.

I am baffled that any shop would actually let a vehicle go out the door without checking torque AT LEAST once. I skim the threads at work, my coworkers even got a terrified-chuckle out of that.
Being a little dramatic, aren't we MasonD21? I see by your bio that I built my first engine 13 years before you were born. Everything on that motor got torqued (sweet little sbc 327). That being said, I've never used a torque wrench on lug nuts and I've never lost a wheel yet. Guess your "guarantee" is just your way of scaring people, you being a "service advisor" and all. The trick is to go around the bolt pattern at least 3 times.
I still maintain 5 family cars and have done countless brake jobs and tire rotations over the last 45 yrs. Used an air gun on everything in the last 35 yrs. I'd be curious to know how many you've done. Also, how many wheels have you seen "lost"?
Not saying lugs shouldn't be torqued but, it would not "make my head to explode" if they weren't. Sometimes you need to listen to old people. You don't get to be old being a fool.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You really do have to watch out for yourself when you get vehicles worked on. When getting my tires rotated it seems the shop can never get the PSI right. I run 60 front, 80 rear. Pretty straightforward (I thought). So, last time I was very specific when I dropped it off and the lady at the desk wrote it down on the sheet.

So, I get in and look at the DIC with the pressures and they are just crazy all over the place. I figure the computer must just be re-adjusting so I grab my gauge. Fronts are 76 and 64, rears are 92 and 70. WTF????? A blind mouse could have come closer. Things like this just blow my mind. It's not like there are 25 things going on one got missed. Setting the PSI it (and hopefully torquing the lug nuts) is pretty much it with a tire rotation.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Being a little dramatic, aren't we MasonD21? I see by your bio that I built my
So because you’re an old dude that built an engine before I was born means you can try and tell me I’m “being dramatic”.

And you go on to ASK about wheels falling off vehicles, as if it hasnt happened?

When you get a wheel and tire package (new aluminum alloy wheels) installed on a vehicle, have you ever heard them say “Come back in 100-150 miles for a retorque with new wheels”. They don’t tell you that for no reason. Scaring someone? No. I don’t believe I’m “scaring” anyone. The people on these forums are aware of the same concerns happening. The answer to “how many wheels?” The answer is 5. Technicians that have no desire to give a **** about you and your family are the same guys that service 50, 100, 500 vehicles per day at large volume dealerships. “Margin of error” is what they are concerned with. 0% is the target... but things happen!

I found it completely crazy that someone would zip on a wheel and send it out the door. If you disagree, that’s fine. I’d rather know everything’s tight and at the right spec.

And (LOL) being a service advisor just means I get to experience first-hand the kind of work a “backyard mechanic” does on people’s vehicles. Some are good, some are horrific. Hopefully you are one of the good ones?

By the way, did you even read the post that I quoted?

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So because you’re an old dude that built an engine before I was born means you can try and tell me I’m “being dramatic”.

And you go on to ASK about wheels falling off vehicles, as if it hasnt happened?

When you get a wheel and tire package (new aluminum alloy wheels) installed on a vehicle, have you ever heard them say “Come back in 100-150 miles for a retorque with new wheels”. They don’t tell you that for no reason. Scaring someone? No. I don’t believe I’m “scaring” anyone. The people on these forums are aware of the same concerns happening. The answer to “how many wheels?” The answer is 5. Technicians that have no desire to give a **** about you and your family are the same guys that service 50, 100, 500 vehicles per day at large volume dealerships. “Margin of error” is what they are concerned with. 0% is the target... but things happen!

I found it completely crazy that someone would zip on a wheel and send it out the door. If you disagree, that’s fine. I’d rather know everything’s tight and at the right spec.

And (LOL) being a service advisor just means I get to experience first-hand the kind of work a “backyard mechanic” does on people’s vehicles. Some are good, some are horrific. Hopefully you are one of the good ones?

By the way, did you even read the post that I quoted?
All that writing and you still haven't told me how many you've done. That's what I thought. There's no better teacher than experience, son.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Huh. I thought they taught reading in your day.

And in terms of how many brake jobs, tire rotations, etc? Hundreds. I was a tech before.

The answer to “how many wheels?” The answer is 5.

I will say this: I'm definitely not here to make enemies. And I'd rather not hi-jack someone's thread, nor feel the need to defend myself against some old fart on the internet. :drunk:

Last edited: