6.4 Hemi Gear Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Not so good news.....

After the initial quote of 1800....after specing out everything, the quote came in at 2700. The guys at the shop spent all day calling around trying to get the price down. Looks like the gears were not the issue, it was the dress kit ( bearings,set) that were approx 500 an axle.

So I held off. That is getting way too close to trade in territory. I had a less than 2k threshold in my mind.......

They are going to call around some more this week, and see if they can find anything else.

Crap

Just Diffs has gears sets with complete install kits for about $1,325.00. Would these not work? GPRAM2500-SELECT

From other threads on here, the 11.8" gears will fit in the 11.5" rear.

Last edited:

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
There are no 4.56 11.8 gearsets.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I can neither confirm nor deny that... I guess Just Diffs has it wrong on their website. I haven't contacted them about it since I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a gear swap yet. That and I have an 11.5" rear, so the 11.8" is not a huge concern for me.

There was an AAM employee on here that commented in another gear swap thread that said the 11.8" gears would fit inside the 11.5". I may have misunderstood his statement. My memory isn't what it used to me ;)

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not so good news.....

After the initial quote of 1800....after specing out everything, the quote came in at 2700. The guys at the shop spent all day calling around trying to get the price down. Looks like the gears were not the issue, it was the dress kit ( bearings,set) that were approx 500 an axle.

So I held off. That is getting way too close to trade in territory. I had a less than 2k threshold in my mind.......

They are going to call around some more this week, and see if they can find anything else.

Crap

That sucks.... I was afraid of this. From reading several stories of people upgrading it seems like it gets confusing/expensive. I agree with the cost thing. At some point it doesn't make sense to put the money into the truck and selling/trading becomes more wise of an option.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can neither confirm nor deny that... I guess Just Diffs has it wrong on their website. I haven't contacted them about it since I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a gear swap yet. That and I have an 11.5" rear, so the 11.8" is not a huge concern for me.

There was an AAM employee on here that commented in another gear swap thread that said the 11.8" gears would fit inside the 11.5". I may have misunderstood his statement. My memory isn't what it used to me ;)
Well, considering I am that employee I can confirm it. Unless an aftermarket company has recently started making gearsets that is.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, considering I am that employee I can confirm it. Unless an aftermarket company has recently started making gearsets that is.

The link I posted for Just Diffs has Nitro Gears listed with gears ratios from stock 3.73s up to 5.13s. Again, just what I found.

I thought AAM had made 4.56 gears for the power wagons. Was that only for the 10.5" rears? I guess that would make sense since the newer power wagons only come with 4.10.

I wonder where TWILLIAMS99 went. He hasn't chimed in and hasn't logged on in a good while. He might have been able to shed a little light on the whole thing. But, from his threads, it looks like he never got part #s from the shop that did the install.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
The link I posted for Just Diffs has Nitro Gears listed with gears ratios from stock 3.73s up to 5.13s. Again, just what I found.

I thought AAM had made 4.56 gears for the power wagons. Was that only for the 10.5" rears? I guess that would make sense since the newer power wagons only come with 4.10.

I wonder where TWILLIAMS99 went. He hasn't chimed in and hasn't logged on in a good while. He might have been able to shed a little light on the whole thing. But, from his threads, it looks like he never got part #s from the shop that did the install.

AAM does make 4.56 gears for the 11.5" differentials... I'm running them.

Yukon Gears also makes everything needed for either the 11.5" or 9.25" differentials. Finding parts for these things isn't that difficult...

I can't comment on the 11.8" as I haven't looked into those. Not sure where that came up either as the 11.8" is only installed in Cummins dually's as far as I know.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 11.8 is just the gear set and diff. The axle housing is identical. The 2500 has an 11.5 but requires a special pinion bearing, it's not an 11.8. AAM makes gear sets up to 4.88 for the 11.5.

wrtaylo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just Diffs

I have a call into them now. They have the 4.30 also, which I would be very interested in if it will work. Dealership quoted me 800 to install, which I did not think was terrible.

More to come!

wrtaylo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I chatted with just diff and decided to go with the 4.30 vs. the 4.56.

Based on the amount of highway driving I do and tire size I think this will be a good compromise. Kit is ordered and should be here in the next couple of days.

I have not seen anyone going this option so hopefully I am not screwing up or unintentionally getting something that will not fit. I have the 11.5 rear so I think I am good.

The 4.30 was intended for the diesel with 37+ according to the just diff folks.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I chatted with just diff and decided to go with the 4.30 vs. the 4.56.

Based on the amount of highway driving I do and tire size I think this will be a good compromise. Kit is ordered and should be here in the next couple of days.

I have not seen anyone going this option so hopefully I am not screwing up or unintentionally getting something that will not fit. I have the 11.5 rear so I think I am good.

The 4.30 was intended for the diesel with 37+ according to the just diff folks.

So you ordered here: GPRAM2500-SELECT

is that the kit you ordered? Let us know how it works out. If there are any parts missing (i.e. the pinion bearing everyone keeps mentioning). I was looking at the 4.30s also, but wasn't sure if it will be enough gear with the 6.4 when/if I move up to 37s.

I know there will be a lot of people on here interested to see how you like the gears and if that is the right package to order. Sure would make it a lot easier to know that it's a complete kit and has all the right bearings so we aren't having to track down part #s.

btw, what size tire are intending to run?

I'm a few months out from this, so I'd love to hear reviews and observations from initial install and after a few thousand miles. Now you have me wondering about the 4.30s vs 4.56s....

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So you ordered here: GPRAM2500-SELECT

is that the kit you ordered? Let us know how it works out. If there are any parts missing (i.e. the pinion bearing everyone keeps mentioning). I was looking at the 4.30s also, but wasn't sure if it will be enough gear with the 6.4 when/if I move up to 37s.

I know there will be a lot of people on here interested to see how you like the gears and if that is the right package to order. Sure would make it a lot easier to know that it's a complete kit and has all the right bearings so we aren't having to track down part #s.
With 37's and a gas motor either 4.56's or 4.88's would be the gear to go with. If AAM made 4.30 gears I would have swiped me a set by now because that to me is perfect for 35's.

wrtaylo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gears are in. Got them in a day. Came packed nicely with 2 bearing hardware kits. Mix of Tim Ken and koto bearings.

Ring and pinion box marked with 11.8, spoke with the rep and he went way technical on me but said I have what I need in the bearing kit.

Bearing kit says 11.8 with aftermarket 11.5

Dropping it off next week for install so fingers crossed.

I have pictures but no flipping idea how to post

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Keep us posted.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Interested in results as well. If you have 37's, let me know how you like the 4.30's with them.

wrtaylo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.30 installed

Just picked up truck today.

Installed 4.30 kit from just differentials.

I spoke with the mechanic who installed and said everything that was needed was in the kit. He did say there was a bit of noise and generally said he hates installing after market gears.

Just have a 100 miles or so and wow what a difference. I am running factory 33's and the truck now pulls like a truck. Obviously I need to drive some more to get over the honeymoon period. I hit 6th gear on the rollers on the interstate and the tranny stayed there....first time that has happened.

More info after a couple of days of driving.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How much noise are you hearing from the gears compared to stock?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please post the part numbers and where you orderd them from and the kit cost and the full install cost. Thanks bud really appreciate it, I bet u really love ur truck now.