6.4 MDS annoying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexpaul09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 14 2500 with the 6.4 and I find myself always putting it into 6th gear once I get to highway speed cause I get sick of that annoying vibration. Anyone else feel the same way?

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am definitely not a fan of MDS. I understand why some people want it but I firmly believe it should be able to be permanently disabled without voiding warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had the MDS system on my 2014 6.4 turned off with a custom tune from Hemifever.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alex, it could be your motor mounts or body mounts. If I remember correctly some 6.4 owners had bad motor mounts that yielded excessive vibration.

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't noticed any vibration. I have a 2016 with 33,000 miles.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'm right there with you bud, i can absolutely feel when the mds kicks in on my 4800 mile truck. There is some vibration and the exhaust tone changes.

I'm not a fan of it. A V8 is designed to run with all 8 holes lit all the time, at least in my opinion

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I have gotten into the habit of just dropping the truck to 6th gear with the +/- button, every time I start it. It seems to lock out the MDS.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have gotten into the habit of just dropping the truck to 6th gear with the +/- button, every time I start it. It seems to lock out the MDS.

Correct, when you go into manual mode it locks out the mds and my truck responds and shifts better.

Last edited:

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My truck runs like crap with mds, tranny shifts funny, seems like it's confused. When I turned it off, runs like its suppose to. Always has power, especially when it's down shifting. I only use it on the highway when I'm cruising. City driving or stuck in traffic, turn that off.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
How are you guys shutting it off besides going into manual mode. I'm going to put a HEMIFEVER custom tune on soon and I believe I can have the MDS shut off. Just curious until i tune it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Only way i know of is to shift into manual mode with the selector button. I don't know if you engage tow/haul mode if that locks out the. Mds also or not?

Beyond that yes, I believe that MD posted he had his turned off permanently with a hemifever tune. That may be something I look into once I'm out of warranty

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I found my MDS became much more noticeable after swapping the muffler. A little vibration can be felt. But it’s mainly just the exhaust tone change and you can easily feel a loss in engine power. But even now I don’t find it unbearable. I do always turn it off in and around town though. Because the truck just runs 50 times better without it and it’s frickin pointless during stop and go driving in an 8000 pound, 7” tall truck. I leave it on when on the highway or longer trips and the truck gets decent MPG. On the highway with cruise on at 70 I cant really feel it anymore and only hear the change of exhaust tone. Which I could care less about on the highway.

Some say they can easily feel a lot of vibration even with a stock truck, others cant feel any. I fell into the latter category and I am usually pretty in tune and sensitive to my vehicles. It makes me wonder if some trucks just run different from others. Maybe some trucks the MDS is much more pronounced for some reason.

I will say that stock vs. stock the MDS feels almost exactly the same in the 392 Charger as it does in the Ram. At least for my particular vehicles.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Only way i know of is to shift into manual mode with the selector button. I don't know if you engage tow/haul mode if that locks out the. Mds also or not?

Beyond that yes, I believe that MD posted he had his turned off permanently with a hemifever tune. That may be something I look into once I'm out of warranty

Yeah tow/haul mode will disable it as well.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
There is a TSB out there that will improve the transitions and shift pattern of the transmission. Initially I had them do it on my truck to stop a clunk or jolt effect from the transmission, but it altered a few other things as well. I dont know if it would make a difference on the 2014, but any truck built with a 66RFE transmission and MDS seems to benefit.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a 14 2500 with the 6.4 and I find myself always putting it into 6th gear once I get to highway speed cause I get sick of that annoying vibration. Anyone else feel the same way?
Here is the TSB for this issue:

DATE: January 16, 2016

SUBJECT:
Engine Mounts Replacement

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the right and left engine mounts.

MODELS:

2014 - 2016 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA.

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before October 11, 2015 (MDH 1011XX) equipped with 6.4L Engine (sales code ESA).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a drone/noise or excessive vibration condition when the engine is operating in ECO mode.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

Replace the left and right side engine mount insulators. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 09 - Engine, 6.4L/Engine Mounting/Insulator, Engine Mount, Engine Mount, Left/Right> Removal/Installation.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't understand the hate for mds. I like it. Changes the sound a bit, but doesn't change the feel and there is no increase in vibration, plus I get 18ish on the highway with it. 2018 2500 4x4

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adding my 2 cents.

About 2 years ago at 14000ish miles, I had a bad body mount on the front driver's side. MDS vibration was more pronounced with the bad mount, and there was a clunking in the floor feeling while driving over bumps that dropped off. After the body mount was replaced the MDS was only noticeable by engine tone. In the last couple of weeks, the clunk in the floor and vibration while MDS is active has returned. Be interesting if it is the mount again since the new one is just hitting the mileage of when the first one failed.