6.4 owners....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
:popcorn:

So why isn't the ZF 8 speed used in the HD's?? There is a reason....

All that technology in the 6.4, too bad it's only a few hp/tq #'s higher than the 5.7 in performance. But then it doesnt show with its performance on the IKE!!!

Did the 2500 5.7 with a 545rfe perform better than the almighty 6.**** when towing??
:flipthebird: Any kids in your family live?

bigdodge

Reaction score
Capacity is most likely the limiting factor, as in production. Chrysler doesn't build any 8 speed trans that goes behind a V8. They all come from zf. Chrysler builds all the v6 backed trans. They will eventually build them all but not for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
With respect to understanding that you are intellectually challenged I'll try to keep it simple. The ZF 8HP70 currently used in 1/2 ton trucks doesn't have the rated torque capacity or the incline hold capacity for HD trucks. The 8HP90 does have the necessary capacity (for gas trucks) as 900nm = 664 fb/lbs. I can only speculate on the reason FCA didn't release it; cost of re-certification after the 8HP90 was released.

What I do know is you are completely full of **** as usual. Trying so hard to be the smart guy in the crowd, and yet failing so spectacularly.

What?? 8hp70 isn't rated to handle the HD gas engine torque??? It's rated for 700nm=516ft lb. Largest gas engine is 429ft lbs=581nm.

The 8hp70L is the light commercial vehicles, it's used in the iveco daily. When used in the daily it has the capacity of a GTW (gross train weight) of 22k lbs. The problems is the 8hp70L has a torque rating of 470NM=346ft lbs. It's the only 8 speed in the light commercial vehicle class.

So yes the 8hp70 used in the 1/2 ton is capable of the HD gas engine torque. Problem is it's a car/suv transmission not up to the light commercial vehicle duties, neither is the 8hp90 as they are both rated as "passenger car" by the manufacture.

Check for yourself, it's all on the ZF site.:roflsquared:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Oh don't forget Iveco is owned by CNH industries, which the chairman is Sergio Marchionne (AKA Fiat)

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Danno is smarter than all of the engineers and strategists at FCA combined. Why doesn't FCA just outsource all of their R&D, important decision making, etc to Danno. Andrea?... get FCA on the line. They can all rest easy. He's taking over, and can do it all from home. We'd have such an amazing truck then, that could actually get up the Ike fast and have more power on paper (so that Danno will feel better at night.) :baby:

But, it may be a lost cause. Since the 6.4 is such a pathetic POS.

All joking aside, if you bought this truck or are thinking about buying this truck and don't like it because stock for stock it is slower than the other trucks up the Ike, you have serious issues - like Danno.

Constructive criticism is one thing (which is how this thread started), trolling is another. You really want to bring the best potential out of the drivetrain? Some simple mods will do the job. That's something I am fine with for all of the other positive things this truck offers. So far I only have a pedal commander and it made it feel like a different truck.

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
I have the 5.7L in my 2wd because that was what was available in used trucks and I didnt want to take any further mpg penalty.

I went with a 2500 specifically because I disliked the 8 speed on several test drives, it sucks. My 5 speed in the 09 1500 I had was so much better.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here in au we have the 6.4 and 8speed in the jeep and 300 SRT8 models.
Jeep has a Gvm of 13700 pounds, so not hd by any stretch of the imagination....

I can assure you it can handle the 6.4 no problem, even with a supercharger....

Isn't the 8hp90 used in the hellcat ?

It is far better than the Chrysler 5 speed ever was in the 300.

Have Chrysler made a decent auto box since the 727 ?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I happen to like my 6.4 quite a bit. Unfortunately, it won't do the rocket launches like my old 1500, but once it gets to 3rd gear... look out. Unfortunately, I run out of speed limit before 3rd gear. I blame 1st and 2nd gear ratios in the transmission, shift points, and the throttle response, but the engine is solid. I've almost convinced myself that the throttle is somewhat ******** (or limited) when in 1st or 2nd to protect the transmission so the engine can develop full power at higher gears when torque multiplication is lower. I'd really like a sport mode button in my truck that changes the shift points. A Grand Cherokee I rented last month had a button, and it made a mediocre powered engine more interesting.

As for IKE...:flipthebird:
I call BS. What kind of moron would truly drive their truck up a mountain with the gas pedal on the floor the whole way while pulling a load at capacity? Talk about abuse, I wouldn't even drive YOUR truck like that (ok, maybe I would). The theory is the Ram is programmed for longevity, but I can't imagine any truck having a decent life when driven like this consistently. I'd actually be interested to see how the truck would do up Ike when driven normally (I have no desire to drive all the way there to test mine either).

I like my engine, but transmission gearing and shift points could be better.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So yes the 8hp70 used in the 1/2 ton is capable of the HD gas engine torque. Problem is it's a car/suv transmission not up to the light commercial vehicle duties, neither is the 8hp90 as they are both rated as "passenger car" by the manufacture.

Check for yourself, it's all on the ZF site.:roflsquared:

I guess someone forgot to tell FCA that the Ram 1500 is not a "passenger car". Or perhaps the 8HP70 trans was sufficient and/or modified by FCA for use in 1/2 ton trucks, hence its 16k GCW rating. The 1500, 2500 and 3500 are all classified as light duty trucks in the US. So unless you can provide a detailed explanation of how ZF defines a "passenger car" vs a "truck" or LCV your point is yet again useless.

I made a comparison of the 66RFE to the 8HP90 since they have roughly the same torque rating. As to other reasons why it hasn't yet been used in a gasser HD, some speculated it has to do with the ability of the transmission not being rated to hold the full GVWR of the truck when parked on a hill. Which wouldn't likely be a hard issue to address. But again, it's all speculation at this point.

You still haven't managed to add anything actually useful to this conversation. But you genuinely tried, so props for that.

Last edited:

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the 5.7L in my 2wd because that was what was available in used trucks and I didnt want to take any further mpg penalty.

I went with a 2500 specifically because I disliked the 8 speed on several test drives, it sucks. My 5 speed in the 09 1500 I had was so much better.

In what way was the 5 speed better? The 8 speed has better ratios, shifts faster, smoother, and has better over drive ratios.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Here in au we have the 6.4 and 8speed in the jeep and 300 SRT8 models.
Jeep has a Gvm of 13700 pounds, so not hd by any stretch of the imagination....

I can assure you it can handle the 6.4 no problem, even with a supercharger....

Isn't the 8hp90 used in the hellcat ?

It is far better than the Chrysler 5 speed ever was in the 300.

Have Chrysler made a decent auto box since the 727 ?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
The 5 speed in the 300 was the 5aw580 Mercedes designed trans built in the us for Chrysler. To date it has the best quality rating of any Chrysler trans. Still being built today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I happen to like my 6.4 quite a bit. Unfortunately, it won't do the rocket launches like my old 1500, but once it gets to 3rd gear... look out.

Yeah, feels like all of a sudden you have a turbo on the thing.

As for IKE...:flipthebird:
I call BS. What kind of moron would truly drive their truck up a mountain with the gas pedal on the floor the whole way while pulling a load at capacity? Talk about abuse, I wouldn't even drive YOUR truck like that (ok, maybe I would). The theory is the Ram is programmed for longevity, but I can't imagine any truck having a decent life when driven like this consistently. I'd actually be interested to see how the truck would do up Ike when driven normally (I have no desire to drive all the way there to test mine either).

Ram engineers told TLF the computer put the truck into a semi limp mode to put less strain on the drivetrain. I don’t remember what they said word for word but it’s out there somewhere in a TFL video or some article. I would tend to believe them on that. Probably half so because they don’t want to be paying for warranty claims for people who beat the **** out of their trucks, but whatever.

I like my engine, but transmission gearing and shift points could be better.

Well, you are like most sane people here. We all wish the ratios were better.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I guess someone forgot to tell FCA that the Ram 1500 is not a "passenger car". Or perhaps the 8HP70 trans was sufficient and/or modified by FCA for use in 1/2 ton trucks, hence its 16k GCW rating. The 1500, 2500 and 3500 are all classified as light duty trucks in the US. So unless you can provide a detailed explanation of how ZF defines a "passenger car" vs a "truck" or LCV your point is yet again useless.

I made a comparison of the 66RFE to the 8HP90 since they have roughly the same torque rating. As to other reasons why it hasn't yet been used in a gasser HD, some speculated it has to do with the ability of the transmission not being rated to hold the full GVWR of the truck when parked on a hill. Which wouldn't likely be a hard issue to address. But again, it's all speculation at this point.

You still haven't managed to add anything actually useful to this conversation. But you genuinely tried, so props for that.

Facts, I provided them and yet you still lack them.

Do your own research, if your that interested. ZF.com

You may want to research the true definition of "light duty truck"? 2500, 3500 may not be in that category by GVWR not GCWR... but that a facts and we don't care about them.....

You bounce from all over, first the 1500, 2500, 3500 are light duty, then you reference gasser HD?

So by your own words the 6.4 is a light duty motor and not a HD motor?

Pick one side of the fence and stay there, use facts and you shouldn't get confused....

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I know in your world this all makes sense. Not necessarily to anyone else here, but you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. Personally I'm thinking you just need to stop drinking while posting. Or perhaps you're still just angry that your boy Hillary lost the election and need to take it out on the world. But could still just be that you have nothing better to do then troll the internet.

I'll try to simplify this for you once again. My guess is that some form of the ZF "passenger car" 8 speed trans will eventually show up in the gas powered HD Ram trucks. Also my guess that the "bullet proof", "heavy duty", 5.7 Hemi will be dropped from the HD trucks entirely in favor of the 6.4 you cherish so much.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi

Do your own research, if your that interested. ZF.com

You may want to research the true definition of "light duty truck"? 2500, 3500 may not be in that category by GVWR not GCWR... but that a facts and we don't care about them.....

You bounce from all over, first the 1500, 2500, 3500 are light duty, then you reference gasser HD?

So by your own words the 6.4 is a light duty motor and not a HD motor?

Pick one side of the fence and stay there, use facts and you shouldn't get confused....
I see you been tipping the Bottle again:roflsquared:Troll away little man:favorites13:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
With respect to understanding that you are intellectually challenged I'll try to keep it simple. The ZF 8HP70 currently used in 1/2 ton trucks doesn't have the rated torque capacity or the incline hold capacity for HD trucks. The 8HP90 does have the necessary capacity (for gas trucks) as 900nm = 664 fb/lbs. I can only speculate on the reason FCA didn't release it; cost of re-certification after the 8HP90 was released.

What I do know is you are completely full of **** as usual. Trying so hard to be the smart guy in the crowd, and yet failing so spectacularly.

according to wikipedia the zfhp90 can handle 900ft lbs of gas engine and up to 1000 ft lbs of diesel engine and the 8hp70 up to 700ft lbs so either would work with the 6.4

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Excuses, keep them coming. Personal attacks show how your really running out of options. Facts lady's, facts...

Wikipedia, hell we all know that's better than manufacture facts....

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well my apologies. Which one of my "personal attacks" wasn't a fact? If only you would take your own advise.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
according to wikipedia the zfhp90 can handle 900ft lbs of gas engine and up to 1000 ft lbs of diesel engine and the 8hp70 up to 700ft lbs so either would work with the 6.4
It’s not about the power it can handle. It’s about not having a parking pin to handle the weight of an HD application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk