6.4L Oil and MS-12633

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Details on why the cams junk?.... lol. There is no data to be found that shows cam related problems are any kind of common issue with the trucks. If it was expensive then you’d hear “These junky Chrysler cams are way over priced”.

If anyone wants the most peace of mind with their truck, then just simply put in what the manual say to: MS-12633. Which like it or not, is Pennzoil or Amsoil. Arguably the two best-overall brands on the market anyway. The PUP 0-40 is one of the best oils you can buy period. Our engines are made to run with it, take advantage. Spending a few extra bucks on the PUP is a no brainer to me since I want my investment and the vehicle I rely on most to have what the engineers built it with.

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot of keyboard engineers who think they know more then real engineers who designed the trucks.

There are also, conspiracy nuts who think that Ram only recommends average or bad products for some crazy reasons.

Then there are those who still believe in old fake products like throttle body spacers in new trucks.

I drink PUP 0w-40 for breakfast instead of coffee!!!!!!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Inciting dramatic responses or rebelious claims on an enthusiast forum AND coming from a member who joined that day with 5 initial roque, contentious posts should show the 'validity' to their trolling activity. Personally, instead of a defense position, the best way to handle this is the "have a good day, sir" approach. LOL

It's a good point. The unfortunate thing is people who are interested in a Ram may come on here and see a post saying "the cams are junk" with no evidence and may believe it. Gotta love the internet.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot of keyboard engineers who think they know more then real engineers who designed the trucks.

There are also, conspiracy nuts who think that Ram only recommends average or bad products for some crazy reasons.

Then there are those who still believe in old fake products like throttle body spacers in new trucks.

I drink PUP 0w-40 for breakfast instead of coffee!!!!!!
Well all you so called experts can believe/use what you want, I doubt very many care. I don't recall anyone saying that PUP was a bad oil. Is it the best? That's only in the users eyes. It's deffinately not the only oil.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Well all you so called experts can believe/use what you want, I doubt very many care. I don't recall anyone saying that PUP was a bad oil. Is it the best? That's only in the users eyes. It's deffinately not the only oil.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Question on this subject. I changed the oil in my 2018 at 2000 miles from Penz to Amsoil SS 0-40. Have now noticed that the oil pressure gauge is showing slightly lower pressure. Maybe 3-5 pounds. Have others noticed a change when switching from one brand to another? Up or down?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question on this subject. I changed the oil in my 2018 at 2000 miles from Penz to Amsoil SS 0-40. Have now noticed that the oil pressure gauge is showing slightly lower pressure. Maybe 3-5 pounds. Have others noticed a change when switching from one brand to another? Up or down?
Don't know about the 0/40 but in general a 0/40 along with other weights has a range that classifys it as a 0/40. Some are a little thicker/thinner than others, but still a 0/40. Some have said that PUP 0/40 is a thin 40wt and sheers to a 30wt not too far into a run. I don't know, this is just what I've read. While oil pressure is important, the makeup of the oil is more important. You can have better protection with lower oil pressure, just depends on the formula.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Don't know about the 0/40 but in general a 0/40 along with other weights has a range that classifys it as a 0/40. Some are a little thicker/thinner than others, but still a 0/40. Some have said that PUP 0/40 is a thin 40wt and sheers to a 30wt not too far into a run. I don't know, this is just what I've read. While oil pressure is important, the makeup of the oil is more important. You can have better protection with lower oil pressure, just depends on the formula.

See your point

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve been running PUP or Amsoil SS since I bought the truck (new) and every time I go from PUP to Amsoil, I see the drop too.

I only go with PUP when I have my dealer do the oil change, which is usually in Dec/Jan/Feb. it’s just too cold to want to do that in MN during winter.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve been running PUP or Amsoil SS since I bought the truck (new) and every time I go from PUP to Amsoil, I see the drop too.

I only go with PUP when I have my dealer do the oil change, which is usually in Dec/Jan/Feb. it’s just too cold to want to do that in MN during winter.
Makes me suspect that PUP viscosity is a bit thicker at cold and hot. thanks

Tim Blair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi6.4
Funny chit,buy a ford or chevy.Then you can REALLY CRY..:bleh:
Details on why the cams junk?.... lol. There is no data to be found that shows cam related problems are any kind of common issue with the trucks. If it was expensive then you’d hear “These junky Chrysler cams are way over priced”.

If anyone wants the most peace of mind with their truck, then just simply put in what the manual say to: MS-12633. Which like it or not, is Pennzoil or Amsoil. Arguably the two best-overall brands on the market anyway. The PUP 0-40 is one of the best oils you can buy period. Our engines are made to run with it, take advantage. Spending a few extra bucks on the PUP is a no brainer to me since I want my investment and the vehicle I rely on most to have what the engineers built it with.

Tim Blair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi6.4
mopar cam is only $85 that just show how junky Chrysler parts are once this thing is back together it down the road
ms 12633 is for bend over Chrysler knows they have a problem cause they don't even have parts to fix so order real cam from comp cam and melling lifters

dynocon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also had a hard time finding the PUP 0-40, I first found it at walmart for $28?? or so a 5 QT jug but then could not. tried Amazon, autozone... then went to walmart.com and ordered it online, 2 jugs allowed free shipping delivered to the door for the same price as in store, might want to give it a try.

Second question is where can you find a cut sheet on the different flavors of oil? Not really looking to switch now that I found the oil but one post said any SN oil would work. I used Valvoline premium blue 15w40 in my Cummins and it has the SN designation on it. I was under the impression is had different additives in it to handle the soot.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I also had a hard time finding the PUP 0-40, I first found it at walmart for $28?? or so a 5 QT jug but then could not. tried Amazon, autozone... then went to walmart.com and ordered it online, 2 jugs allowed free shipping delivered to the door for the same price as in store, might want to give it a try.

Second question is where can you find a cut sheet on the different flavors of oil? Not really looking to switch now that I found the oil but one post said any SN oil would work. I used Valvoline premium blue 15w40 in my Cummins and it has the SN designation on it. I was under the impression is had different additives in it to handle the soot.

Amazon ... yes

Summit Racing ... order $100 for free shipping.

Pep Boys .. buy on line and pick up in store. They usually have a on line discount.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I ordered my PUP on ebay from Avondale dodge. 6 or 7 quarts plus an oem mopar filter for 69 or 79 bucks. Not bad from what i was seeing.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered my 7 quarts of PUP plus oil filter on ebay the week before Memorial Day. It was $75.50. Ebay was running a $15 off coupon code for Memorial Day for anything over $75. So, I got it for $60.50. Just did that change on Sunday. I go every 6k miles.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My dealer changes mine for $77.00. I was gonna start doing it myself but I guess I wont wity the prices I'm seeing.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My dealer changes mine for $77.00. I was gonna start doing it myself but I guess I wont wity the prices I'm seeing.

I went back to doing it myself after the dealer put the wrong oil in it. I caught it before I left and they changed it again.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I went back to doing it myself after the dealer put the wrong oil in it. I caught it before I left and they changed it again.
Well at least they tightened the filter, my dealer didn't and a week later it blew oil everywhere. Supplied my own oil and filter, they wanted 120 bucks! No more dealer oil changes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobram1500