6.4L Oil and MS-12633

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I hesitate to admit this publicly, but here goes:
I have started letting the dealer change my oil. My reasoning is that way it is all on them in case of an internally lubricated engine part failure. Plus, while standing in Autozone or someplace I did some quick and possibly faulty math in my head and figured that it costs me $20 to have the dealer do it.
Reasons:
1. I’m getting old and I deserve a break.
2. The dealer does everything and I don’t have to dispose of my used oil.
3. They do a multi point check that may or may not mean anything if for instance, my brake pads go metal to metal between oil changes.
4. Their clean lounge with a Cafe and Wifi is excellent.
5. I get the opportunity to wander and test my resistance to New Truck Fever.
6. Actually and quite important, is that the service advisors seem to have a clue!
7. Most important: The techs do what they are supposed to do. At least so far. Oil life minder reset, tire pressures adjusted after rotation, my radio is where I left it, truck delivered to the service area exit and backed in to a spot. No drips under the truck from splashed oil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I used Castrol edge 0w40 and at 225000km lifters failed don't used

This is the same guy who said the cams are junk because they are only $85... Anyone credible blow up their engine not using PUP? LOL

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Apples to Oranges here. My GF recently had her 2014 5.7 1500 engine blow up on her at 96k miles. She had the oil changed every 3k miles, but Chrysler/Area Manager/dealer have refused to replace the engine with the 100k powertrain warranty due to lack of official oil change paper trail. She had someone do her oil changes at home.

I have a 2014 6.4 Hemi dually and did the last oil change/filter myself, but due to her experience, this probably wasn't a good idea. Next oil change will be through the stealership or greasemonkey. At least til I sell it or the warranty expires. I believe ONLY Pennzoil has the official MS spec required by Chrysler, so anything besides that specific oil "could" void your warranty if the potential damage is oil related. Appears they don't have to prove it - Area Manager has the final say and Corporate Chrysler can't over ride that decision. A new 6.4 is roughly $11k to replace. You don't want to get into a month long fight with your local dealership and Corporate Chrysler, then find out they refuse to honor the warranty. That puts you with your truck down and have to come up with the cash the replace the engine. Food for thought. Later.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Damn your dealership has a cafe inside it!!! Holy **** that makes me wanna go there just for the Mopar burger with bacon
I hesitate to admit this publicly, but here goes:
I have started letting the dealer change my oil. My reasoning is that way it is all on them in case of an internally lubricated engine part failure. Plus, while standing in Autozone or someplace I did some quick and possibly faulty math in my head and figured that it costs me $20 to have the dealer do it.
Reasons:
1. I’m getting old and I deserve a break.
2. The dealer does everything and I don’t have to dispose of my used oil.
3. They do a multi point check that may or may not mean anything if for instance, my brake pads go metal to metal between oil changes.
4. Their clean lounge with a Cafe and Wifi is excellent.
5. I get the opportunity to wander and test my resistance to New Truck Fever.
6. Actually and quite important, is that the service advisors seem to have a clue!
7. Most important: The techs do what they are supposed to do. At least so far. Oil life minder reset, tire pressures adjusted after rotation, my radio is where I left it, truck delivered to the service area exit and backed in to a spot. No drips under the truck from splashed oil.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apples to Oranges here. My GF recently had her 2014 5.7 1500 engine blow up on her at 96k miles. She had the oil changed every 3k miles, but Chrysler/Area Manager/dealer have refused to replace the engine with the 100k powertrain warranty due to lack of official oil change paper trail. She had someone do her oil changes at home.

I have a 2014 6.4 Hemi dually and did the last oil change/filter myself, but due to her experience, this probably wasn't a good idea. Next oil change will be through the stealership or greasemonkey. At least til I sell it or the warranty expires. I believe ONLY Pennzoil has the official MS spec required by Chrysler, so anything besides that specific oil "could" void your warranty if the potential damage is oil related. Appears they don't have to prove it - Area Manager has the final say and Corporate Chrysler can't over ride that decision. A new 6.4 is roughly $11k to replace. You don't want to get into a month long fight with your local dealership and Corporate Chrysler, then find out they refuse to honor the warranty. That puts you with your truck down and have to come up with the cash the replace the engine. Food for thought. Later.
You would think if that's the case that someone, somewhere would have said that it doesn't stipulate that vehicle has to be dealer maintained. It's only a 50k, 100k, lifetime warranty if dealer maintained.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Sounds like a record keeping problem. A log book and receipt copies mitigate such problems most times. Warranty denial for home or third party maintenance performed when proper records are kept is pretty rare.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
So anyone know what exactly MS-12633 says?

The reason I ask is because Castrol Edge 0w40 is made in Belgium and is a group 4 synthetic available easily at Wally World for $26 for 5 quarts. It's CN rated.

I know Penzoil can be had for under $5 a quart if you play AMAZON's price game, right now it's about $7 with the rebate.

Any thoughts on using a non MS-12633 oil? Anyone run the Castrol Edge in their 6.4L without the engine exploding?

I got the Max Lifetime Warranty with my new 2018 6.4 and I just got the warranty contract in the mail. There is very specific language to using proper approved fluids, and if you use a third party for routine maintenance you Must keep your recipes to Prove proper fluids were used. So for me it will be PUP 0w40 and a mopar oil filter. Other warranty agreements may be less strict but why risk it when PUP is a fantastic oil. Only thing I don't like is the mopar oil filter; would rather run the M1.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963