60k mile maintenance almost done, running great so far!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yesterday decided to get working on the truck, changed the plugs, both diff fluids, transfer case fluid, and cleaned the throttle body. Right at 65k miles, the throttle body was caked with black carbon, took about 2-3 hours of scrubbin with a toothbrush and the wife's dish scrubber lol, and 3 cans of brake cleaner, but got it about 90% clean. Runnin so much better and throttle response seems much smoother, hopefully this helps gain a little mileage back, have only been getting about 12mpg lately. First time the throttle body has been cleaned, how often should this be done? Trip to the dealer tomorrow morning for the coolant and tranny flush, and then i should be good for another 30k miles or so

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice, I'm approaching 60k here in a few thousand, sounds like a good idea to clean throttle body. I've never looked at mine.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How hard was that transfer Case and which oil did you use? I beleive mine really needs to be done

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah, never even thought about the throttle body until i saw a diy thread on here on how to clean it. Glad i did though, definitely made throttle response and acceleration much smoother. Transfer case was a piece of cake, literally took about 10 minutes. There are two large allen hex bolts on the backside of the transfer case, 10mm allens. Top one is the fill and bottom the drain. Just took the fill bolt out and then the drain bolt and out comes the fluid. Manual calls for atf4, took 2 quarts exactly

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Nice. I sold my 05 right at 60k so luckily I did not have to deal with all that maintenance.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would check the tb probably at every service interval. Forget what they are on your truck though. And clean as needed