65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL ! Me too .
Unicorn tears and such
$43.00 a qt.

I have the X-fer case with just 2h 4lock 4low, but chrysler told me the Borg warner fluid goes in there... haha been in there for 20k miles, hopefully it was the right fluid....

Also what is the service interval on this, supossidly its 80k miles if service vehicle 110-125k if personal use, seems a little high. im at 65, and fluid still looks new

Not sure what model tranny i have 4.7 6 speed lol

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ok, here's a question for the board.

wix or OEM filters (tranny)

EDIT: what is your preference and why.

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 199

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ok, here's a question for the board.

wix or OEM filters (tranny)

EDIT: what is your preference and why.

OEM, because it is the path of least resistance in the event of a transmission problem and you have to take it in for warranty work and prove what you did with it.

At least with the flat pickup screen filter, most of the filter makers do not make it and sub-contract that part out to whomever from wherever and quality can vary.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate OEM parts/ fluids with a passion. Its overpriced garbage IMHO.

But for the tranny I got OEM filters online to save myself the aggravation with a warranty claim down the road.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Im thinking about just going directly to the dealer and ordering it. Its all on record then for sure. Even if it cost more its a little extra insurance.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im thinking about just going directly to the dealer and ordering it. Its all on record then for sure. Even if it cost more its a little extra insurance.
This is what I did. I wanted an undeniable record in their system that I bought the correct OEM filters. Next time I change the filters I'll probably stick with OEM but ill get them on Amazon or something.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

You can search around Ebay and even some third party sellers on Amazon that are RAM dealers who sell OEM filter kits relatively cheap. That is what I did when I changed mine and I have a receipt from a actual RAM dealership even though it is not the local one.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hoot, did you have any problems with your Dorman pan hitting the filters when you installed it?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Hoot, did you have any problems with your Dorman pan hitting the filters when you installed it?

Yeah, seen you post on your Dorman pan install and eventual removal. Tell you the truth, I really had no problem installing mine or anything to think the filters were hitting or binding.

I did double check my dipstick after seeing your statement about it hitting the bottom of the pan and say mine hits ever so slightly and maybe is about 1/8" being too short on the pan side. I have close to 7K miles on my Dorman setup with no issues and will probably take it out to my next planned pan drop and filter change at 50K miles. I will reevaluate then if I need to scrap the idea and go another route.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
After finding out about the "drain plug kits" im surprised how many dont do it this way. the system is not under any significant amount of intentional "pressure" so as long as you do a good job there should never be any problems (leaks) with installing your own drain plug.

and if your want some extra insurance, a small...small, dab of Teflon PASTE (not tape) on the threads will help seal it up. that stuff is great btw.

always just my opinion of course.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
is the only way to fill out transmissions through the dip stick tube, or can we pump it in somewhere too?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's actually not as bad as you would think. When I was messing around with the Dorman pan drain plug, I had drained it into a pouring container and then just dumped it back in. It took 5.5 quarts pretty quickly.

Spankyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 6 speed seems to shift hard, and it's supposed to be factory. I bought the truck new and at just under 100k it went into fail safe mode, 4th gear only. It wouldn't have been a problem but I was 500 miles from home pulling a Mazda Miata on a tow dolly!! Got it to the dealer and they put a new valve body in it under warranty. About 15k miles later some kind of shift sensor under the intake manifold went out. That cost me $400 to get fixed. Now, this week, the truck is back in the shop with a completely different problem. The cam is shot at 127,*** miles!!

I used to really like this truck aND recommended it to everyone. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's the same old Chrysler ****.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 6 speed seems to shift hard, and it's supposed to be factory. I bought the truck new and at just under 100k it went into fail safe mode, 4th gear only. It wouldn't have been a problem but I was 500 miles from home pulling a Mazda Miata on a tow dolly!! Got it to the dealer and they put a new valve body in it under warranty. About 15k miles later some kind of shift sensor under the intake manifold went out. That cost me $400 to get fixed. Now, this week, the truck is back in the shop with a completely different problem. The cam is shot at 127,*** miles!!

I used to really like this truck aND recommended it to everyone. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's the same old Chrysler ****.
Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately 4th gear seems to be a weak point in these transmissions. Just curious, what maintenance has been done to the trans in the time you've owned it?

Reactions: U&A

Spankyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At this point, the only maintenance that has been done is what the deal did. Everytime they had it they looked at the rest of the fluids and, shockingly, they didn't try to up sell me on fluid changes.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
At this point, the only maintenance that has been done is what the deal did. Everytime they had it they looked at the rest of the fluids and, shockingly, they didn't try to up sell me on fluid changes.

to be clear for all..
so you went to 100,000 miles with NO fluid/filter change or flush on the transmission?

if so. and sorry for beeing frank but its all in honesty and not being an ass... that is a problem

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I plan to change my xsmn fluid & both filters at 45 ishk intervals on my 14 Ram .

My last Dodge truck a 1997 4x4 1500 Extended cab with 360 , I changed every 60k , I traded that truck in after 17 yrs and almost 300,000 miles with the original automatic xsmn , the xsmn was the weak point on that truck but never let me down .

Probably had 60 -70 k towing something , hay , firewood , lawn mowing equipt and several different boats and campers . Had 35" tires on it for over 200 k of its life , and I used 4wd more than anyone I've ever known .

That was a tough truck but in the end it felt and drove like it had 300 k .

I feel my 14 is not as tough so I'm using better fluids and changing them more often , I do plan on having this truck for 10-15 years , I'm not as hard on my vehicles now days .

Last edited: