65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spankyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right now the problem is not the trans, although I don't like how it shifts. Right after I bought it I complained to the the dealer about how it shifts. They told me to drive in "tow/haul" all the time. I just feel like the 6 speed is always "searching " for a gear. I think, when I get the cam problem solved, I may get rid of it and buy an older truck that isn't such a pain.

I had an 83 Jeep Wagoneer that had 250,*** and didn't have near the mechanical problems I'm having with truck. And it looked cooler!

Spankyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rented a 2016 with the 5.7 Hemi to drive while.mine is in the shop. DO NOT LIKE IT! Everything is good till you take your foot off the brake from a dead stop, the whole truck shakes like it's shifting gears.

I won't be buying a new one, that's for sure.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I hear the 8 speed "learns" how you drive and that shuddering goes away after a few hundred miles of driving it...

I think the only way to get a 6 speed trans in a 1500 is to get a tradesman. Or you could get a 2500 that would have the 66RFE.

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
I plan to change my xsmn fluid & both filters at 40k intervals on my 14 Ram .
My last Dodge truck a 1997 4x4 1500 Extended cab with 360 , I changed every 60k , I traded that truck in after 17 yrs and almost 300,000 miles with the original automatic xsmn , the xsmn was the weak point on that truck but never let me down . Probably had 60 -70 k towing something , hay , firewood , lawn mowing equipt and several different boats and campers . Had 35" tires on it for over 200 k of its life , and I used 4wd more than anyone I've ever known .
That was a tough truck but in the end it felt and drove like it had 300 k .
I feel my 14 is not as tough so I'm using better fluids and changing them more often , I do plan on having this truck for 10-15 years , I'm not as hard on my vehicles now days .
****** I just hit 40k miles, I assume I should move this to top of list? Was thinking more like 60k till reading some of this

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hello ALL .

I'd like to start a thread discussion about the 6 speed XSMN 65RFE to help all of us out in understanding as much as possible about this xsmn and different maintenance practices like fluid & filter changes and other info like normal operating temp ranges and such.

My truck 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L , 65RFE 6 speed automatic xsmn , 4X4 QC, 3.55 Differentials.

I'm at about 38k and I'm interested in a fluid & filter change , and possibly a DIY complete system Flush .

Also interested in a xsmn pan change with extra fluid capacity , cooling fins and a magnetic drain plug.

I'm gonna save a few spots below for my fluid & filter change and other maint related stuff I plan to do in the future on my 65RFE automatic xsmn.

Thanks in advance for your replies !

I thought adding some description and theory of operation may aid some of us in this thread who may want to understand why these transmissions act as they do. Also it can serve as a reference and possibly help in troubleshooting. This will be just a small part of the info available. This is for the 66RFE, which should be almost identical to the 65, save for the gear ratios. If more in-depth info is needed, let me know. Hope this helps.

RLK Please feel free to dissect this and put it where you feel its appropriate in the thread.

Transmission - Operation

OPERATION

The 66RFE offers full electronic control of all automatic up and downshifts, and features real-time adaptive closed-loop shift and pressure control. Electronic shift and torque converter clutch controls help protect the transmission from damage due to high temperatures, which can occur under severe operating conditions. By altering shift schedules, line pressure, and converter clutch control, these controls reduce heat generation and increase transmission cooling.

To help reduce efficiency-robbing parasitic losses, the transmission includes a dual-stage transmission fluid pump with electronic output pressure control. Under most driving conditions, pump output capacity greatly exceeds that which is needed to keep the clutches applied. The 66RFE pump-pressure control system monitors input torque and adjusts the pump pressure accordingly. The primary stage of the pump works continuously; the second stage is bypassed when demand is low. The control system also monitors input and output speed and, if incipient clutch slip is observed, the pressure control solenoid duty cycle is varied, increasing pressure in proportion to demand.

A high-travel torque converter damper assembly allows earlier torque converter clutch engagement to reduce slippage. Needle-type thrust bearings reduce internal friction. The 66RFE is packaged in a one-piece die-cast aluminum case. To reduce NVH, the case has high lateral, vertical and torsional stiffness. Dual filters protect the pump and other components. A cooler return filter is added to the customary main sump filter. Independent lubrication and cooler circuits assure ample pressure for normal transmission operation even if the cooler is obstructed or the fluid cannot flow due to extremely low temperatures.

NOTE:
Vehicles equipped with ERS (Electronic Range Select) do not provide 2nd gear in limp-in, because the shift lever has no "2" or "1" position.

The hydraulic control system design (without electronic assist) provides the transmission with PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, and FOURTH gears, based solely on driver shift lever selection. This design allows the vehicle to be driven (in "limp-in" mode) in the event of a electronic control system failure, or a situation that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) recognizes as potentially damaging to the transmission.

The TCM also performs certain self-diagnostic functions and provides comprehensive information (sensor data, DTC's, etc.) which is helpful in proper diagnosis and repair. This information can be viewed with the scan tool.
Planetary Geartrain - Operation

OPERATION

REACTION PLANETARY GEAR SET

The reaction planetary carrier and reverse sun gear are a single component which is held by the 2C clutch when required. The sun gear is retained on the reaction carrier hub by a hidden snap ring and can not be removed. The reaction sun gear is a stand alone component that can be driven by the reverse clutch or held by the 4C clutch. The reaction annulus is welded to the reverse planetary carrier.

REVERSE PLANETARY GEAR SET

The reverse planetary gear set is the middle of the three planetary sets. The reverse planetary carrier can be driven by the overdrive clutch as required. The reverse planetary carrier is welded to the reaction annulus gear and splined to the input annulus gear, which can be held by the low/reverse clutch. The reverse annulus gear , input planetary carrier, and output shaft are all one piece. The reverse annulus gear is retained on the input carrier flange by a hidden snap ring and can not be disassembled.

INPUT PLANETARY GEAR SET

The input sun gear of the input planetary gear set is driven by the underdrive clutch. The number 11 thrust bearing is captive underneath the pinion gears and therefore cannot be removed.

Transmission Oil Pump - Operation

OPERATION

As the torque converter rotates, the converter hub rotates the oil pump drive gear. As the drive gear rotates both driven gears, a vacuum is created when the gear teeth come out of mesh. This suction draws fluid through the pump inlet from the oil pan. As the gear teeth come back into mesh, pressurized fluid is forced into the pump outlet and to the oil pump valves.

At low speeds, both sides of the pump supply fluid to the transmission. As the speed of the torque converter increases, the flow from both sides increases until the flow from the primary side alone is sufficient to meet system demands. At this point, the check valve located between the two pumps closes. The secondary side is shut down and the primary side supplies all the fluid to the transmission.

CONVERTER CLUTCH SWITCH VALVE

The converter clutch switch valve is used to control the direction of oil flow to the torque converter. When the converter clutch is released (CC switch valve downshifted), hydraulic pressure is supplied to the front (OFF) side of the torque converter clutch. When the converter clutch is applied (CC switch valve upshifted), regulated oil pressure is supplied to the back (ON) side of the converter clutch.

CONVERTER CLUTCH REGULATOR VALVE

The converter clutch regulator valve is used to control the hydraulic pressure supplied to the back (ON) side of the torque converter clutch.

TORQUE CONVERTER LIMIT VALVE

The torque converter limit valve serves to limit the maximum pressure supplied to the front side of the torque converter clutch.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Transmission learning mode information:

If you have a certain shift that you don't think is acting right, you can use the "Drive Learn" procedure below to try and remedy it without a scan tool or a trip to the dealer.

DRIVE LEARN - RFE TRANSMISSIONS

When a transmission is repaired and a Quick Learn procedure has been performed on the Transmission Control Module (TCM), the following Drive Learn procedure can be performed to fine tune any shifts which are particularly objectionable.

NOTE:
It is not necessary to perform the complete Drive Learn procedure every time the TCM is Quick Learned. Perform only the portions which target the objectionable shift.

NOTE:
It is important that this procedure be performed when the transmission temperature is between 80 - 110°F (27 - 43°C). If this procedure takes too long to complete fully for the allowed transmission oil temperature, the vehicle may be returned to the customer with an explanation that the shift will improve daily during normal vehicle usage. The TCM also learns at higher oil temperatures, but these values (line pressure correction values) are not available for viewing on the scan tool.

LEARN A SMOOTH 1ST NEUTRAL TO DRIVE SHIFT

Perform this procedure only if the complaint is for a delayed or harsh shift the first time the transmission is put into gear after the vehicle is allowed to set with the engine not running for at least 10 minutes. Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the 1st N-D UD CVI.

NOTE:
The transmission oil temperature must be between 80 - 110°F (27 - 43°C).

Start the engine only when the engine and ignition have been off for at least ten (10) minutes.
With the vehicle at a stop and the service brake applied, record the 1st N-D UD CVI while performing a Neutral to Drive shift. The 1st N-D UD CVI accounts for air entrapment in the UD clutch that may occur after the engine has been off for a period of time.
Repeat Step # 1 and Step # 2 until the recorded 1st N-D UD CVI value stabilizes.
LEARN A SMOOTH NEUTRAL TO DRIVE GARAGE SHIFT

Perform this procedure if the complaint is for a delayed or harsh shift when the transmission is put into gear after the vehicle has had its first shift. Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the Norm N-D UD CVI.

NOTE:
The transmission oil temperature must be between 80 - 110°F (27 - 43°C) to learn the UD CVI. Additional learning occurs at temperatures as low as 0°F and as high as 200°F. This procedure may be performed at any temperature that experiences poor shift quality. Although the UD CVI may not change, shift quality should improve.

Start the vehicle engine and shift to drive.
Move the vehicle forward to a speed of at least 16 km/h (10 MPH) and come to a stop. This ensures no air is present in the UD hydraulic circuit.
Perform repeated N-D shifts at a stop while pausing in Neutral for at least 2-3 seconds and monitor Norm N-D UD CVI volume until the value stabilizes. The value will change during the N-D shift. This is normal since the UD value is different for the N-D shift then the normal value shown which is used for 4-3 coastdown and kickdowns. Perform repeated shifts in this temperature range until the Norm N-D UD CVI value stabilizes and the N-D shifts become smooth.
LEARN THE 1ST 2-3 SHIFT AFTER A RESTART OR SHIFT TO REVERSE

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the 1st 2-3 shift OD CVI.

NOTE:
The transmission oil temperature must be above 80°F (27°C).

With the vehicle engine running, select reverse gear for over 2 seconds.
Shift the transmission to Drive and accelerate the vehicle from a stop at a steady 15 degree throttle opening and perform a 2-3 shift while noting the 1st 2-3 OD CVI.
Repeat Step # 1 and Step # 2 until the 1st 2-3 upshift becomes smooth and the 1st 2-3 OD CVI stabilizes.
LEARN A SMOOTH 2-3 AND 3-4 UPSHIFT

NOTE:
The transmission oil temperature must be above 110°F (43°C).

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the OD and 4C CVI's.

Accelerate the vehicle from a stop at a steady 15 degree throttle opening and perform multiple 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 upshifts. The 2nd 2-3 shift following a restart or shift to reverse will be shown during the shift as a value between the 1st 2-3 OD CVI and the normal OD CVI. Updates to the normal OD CVI will occur after the 2nd shift into 3rd gear, following a restart or shift to reverse.
Repeat Step # 1 until the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts become smooth and the OD and 4C CVI become stable.
LEARN A SMOOTH 4-3 COASTDOWN AND PART THROTTLE 4-3 KICKDOWN

NOTE:

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the UD shift volume.

At a vehicle speed between 64-97 km/h (40-60 MPH), perform repeated 4-3 kickdown shifts.
Repeat Step # 1 until the UD volume becomes somewhat stable and the shift becomes smooth.
LEARN A SMOOTH 1-2 UPSHIFT AND 3-2 KICKDOWN

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the 2C shift volume.

NOTE:

With a vehicle speed below 48 km/h (30 MPH) and the transmission in 3rd gear, perform multiple 3-2 kickdowns.
Repeat Step # 1 until the 3-2 kickdowns become smooth and the 2C CVI becomes stable.
LEARN A SMOOTH MANUAL 2-1 PULLDOWN SHIFT AS WELL AS A NEUTRAL TO REVERSE SHIFT

NOTE:

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the LR volume.

With the vehicle speed around 40-48 km/h (25-30 MPH) in Manual 2nd, perform manual pulldowns to Low or 1st gear at closed throttle.
Repeat Step # 1 until the LR CVI becomes stable and the manual 2-1 becomes smooth.
LEARN A SMOOTH NEUTRAL TO REVERSE SHIFT

NOTE:

With the vehicle at a stop, perform Neutral to Reverse shifts until the shift is smooth. An unlearned Neutral to Reverse shift may be harsh or exhibit a double bump.
If any of the shifts are still not smooth after the clutch volume stabilizes, an internal transmission problem may be present.
LEARN A SMOOTH 4-5 UPSHIFT

NOTE:

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the Alt 2C CVI.

Accelerate the vehicle through 88 km/h (55mph) at a steady 10-15 degree throttle opening and perform multiple 4-5 upshifts.
Repeat Step # 1 until the 4-5 shift become smooth and the Alt 2C CVI become stable. There is a separate 2C volume used and learned for 4-5 shifts, 2CA. It is independent of the 2C CVI learned on 3-2 kickdowns.

===========================================
TCM QUICK LEARN - RLE AND RFE TRANSMISSIONS

The quick learn procedure requires the use of the scan tool.

This program allows the electronic transmission system to recalibrate itself. This will provide the proper transmission operation. The quick learn procedure should be performed if any of the following procedures are performed:

Transmission Assembly Replacement.
Transmission Control Module Replacement.
Solenoid Pack Replacement.
Clutch Plate and/or Seal Replacement.
Valve Body Replacement or Recondition.
To perform the Quick Learn Procedure, the following conditions must be met:

The brakes must be applied.
The engine speed must be above 500 rpm.
The throttle angle (TPS) must be less than 3 degrees.
The shift lever position must stay in PARK until prompted to shift to overdrive.
The shift lever position must stay in overdrive after the Shift to Overdrive prompt until the scan tool indicates the procedure is complete.
The calculated oil temperature must be above 60°and below 200°.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fantastic information Sir !

Thanks for the post !

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
what is everyone's opinion on Pennzoil's yellow bottle ATF+4. it is not listed as "synthetic" like Castrol, Valvoline or the Mopar brand although it is significantly higher priced than the Castrol and similarly priced to mpoar and valvoline.....

so its the only one (atf+4 specifically) out of the top brands on the shelves that is not synthetic.

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-5069294-6PK-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B002SAIOK8

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-0681...&ie=UTF8&qid=1472210071&sr=1-1&keywords=atf+4

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-AT...ie=UTF8&qid=1472210071&sr=1-24&keywords=atf+4

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopa...&ie=UTF8&qid=1472210071&sr=1-4&keywords=atf+4

then there is the odd duck that must have gold flakes in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550...ie=UTF8&qid=1472210071&sr=1-16&keywords=atf+4

EDIT: yellow bottle +4 is not actually even on their website any more. only the Platinum is.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, I would have rather used PP ATF+4 but I couldn't find it anywhere local and it's more expensive than RL C+ on Amazon....

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Need some guidance from you guys.

So I want to check my transmission fluid level. I can never seem to get a good read when it's cold. So I've been trying when it's warm. I've also heard that a warm check is more accurate. On my daily commute the transmission only gets to about 150°. The dipstick says a hot check needs to be done at 180. When I check it at 150 it is right on the bottom dot for the hot check. Is the difference in temp from 150 to 180 going to show that much difference in fluid level. Am i ok?

And I have been doing it while running and in neutral with parking brake on

Thanks guys.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine hasn't gone above 142 since my Redline ATF change. and I filled it to the top dot In neutral.

If I check mine cold it shows overfilled, lol...

Im also very confused...lol...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So I want to check my transmission fluid level. I can never seem to get a good read when it's cold. So I've been trying when it's warm. I've also heard that a warm check is more accurate. On my daily commute the transmission only gets to about 150°. The dipstick says a hot check needs to be done at 180. When I check it at 150 it is right on the bottom dot for the hot check. Is the difference in temp from 150 to 180 going to show that much difference in fluid level. Am i ok?

Thanks guys.

This is where mine is after changing the fluid and filters. Before changing the fluid and filters, it was always between the cold and hot dots at 140-50. Always thought this was kind of low...

When I changed the fluid I figured I would leave it at the lower hot dot in case I ended up towing or something. That way if it got hotter than 160 or so, it would have some expansion room.

You should be good.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine hasn't gone above 142 since my Redline ATF change. and I filled it to the top dot In neutral.

If I check mine cold it shows overfilled, lol...

Im also very confused...lol...

Mine shows overfill when cold to.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The service guy at dodge told me if any issues occur with the tranny my CEL would light up instantly...

So I just did a 200km trip and beat the **** out of my truck and no CELs

Im quite surprised about the temps of my trans, My engine is only averaging 188 as well, Mind you it was only 27 outside.

But the extra 2 quarts, and better fluid must be working as it should.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This is where mine is after changing the fluid and filters. Before changing the fluid and filters, it was always between the cold and hot dots at 140-50. Always thought this was kind of low...

When I changed the fluid I figured I would leave it at the lower hot dot in case I ended up towing or something. That way if it got hotter than 160 or so, it would have some expansion room.

You should be good.

Can it hurt being slightly high? My ranger had an overflow tube. I know this as my dealer did a flush and over filled it.

Im asking because i may add a little to tickle my fancy. Unless you think its a bad idea.

Thank you sir.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks guys.
Damn , the dip stick says hot check is at 180° ?
My 1500 with the 65RFE 6 Speed auto even towing I've only seen it to 156°

I need to look at my dip stick closer ...

Last time I checked it after a couple hrs of driving ( temp only 140 ish ) mine was near the top hole while running .

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The service guy at dodge told me if any issues occur with the tranny my CEL would light up instantly...

So I just did a 200km trip and beat the **** out of my truck and no CELs

Im quite surprised about the temps of my trans, My engine is only averaging 188 as well, Mind you it was only 27 outside.

But the extra 2 quarts, and better fluid must be working as it should.
Do you mean your coolant was 188 or your engine oil was 188?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can it hurt being slightly high? My ranger had an overflow tube. I know this as my dealer did a flush and over filled it.

Im asking because i may add a little to tickle my fancy. Unless you think its a bad idea.

Thank you sir.

I've always been taught to never overfill an auto trans so I personally wouldn't add more than what it takes to get it to the top hot dot...