75 hp injector

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by scippy, Jan 10, 2018.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. scippy

scippy Member

Ram Year:
    2002 2500
    Engine:
    5.9l
    Can someone please explain what a 75 hp injector is and how it would increase my total hp?.......I know the 24 valve 5.9L diesel engine produces 235hp at the flywheel ..maybe 200hp by the time it's to the rear wheels..... if I replace my stock injectors with (6) 75hp injectors, then total hp will be increased by 75hp.?...I know there is a broad range of these after market injectors (50hp to 400hp and beyond) , but I don't clearly understand.............Thanks, Scippy

2. CTD

CTD Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Bigger injectors will increase the MAXIMUM AVAILABLE power, by making more fuel available under max load conditions. Bigger holes just inject it faster, meaning shorter pulse width for each injection event. What changes is the amount of fuel that can be injected during that duration of injection. More fuel available= more power available.

The next question would be do you have a tuner to make the adjustments to the PCM for the extra fuel? To reap the full benefit of larger injectors you really need a tuner but it is not a have too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. scippy

scippy Member

Ram Year:
    2002 2500
    Engine:
    5.9l
    CTD Thanks,.........No, no tuner currently, I'm just wanting to know what a 75hp injector means?......does it mean if I install a set of 75hp injectors the net gain would
    be 75hp "overall" to my engine?......of course, including a tuner for best adjustments to PCM if I decide one day.

4. jlbayes

jlbayes Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 & 1997
    Engine:
    5.9l cummins
    It means nothing. The hp rating is determined by the injector builder and there are NO standards for them. Before you buy injectors let me know. I will point you in a direction before you spend absurd amounts of money on over priced junk.

scippy likes this.
  5. scippy

scippy Member

Ram Year:
    2002 2500
    Engine:
    5.9l
    jibayes..........I'm about to soon, I'm all ears!.....Thanks, Scippy

6. jlbayes

jlbayes Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 & 1997
    Engine:
    5.9l cummins
    Ok so a couple things. Without a boost fooler and/or a module that adds timing you will be leaving all the power you should be gaining from an injector upgrade on the table. Lift pump, I vaguely remember you saying the truck had an aftermarket on the truck? Fass ddrp maybe? Trans.....this will be your biggest limiter. IF you can drive sensibly the transmission will live for a while.

7. scippy

scippy Member

Ram Year:
    2002 2500
    Engine:
    5.9l
    jlbayes,

Not a wrencher per say, nor have I any experience with Diesel performance upgrades, but never the less very interested to learn about my new truck and it's Diesel engine.
    Granted I have a very heavy burden to put on my transmission, but like you suggest "drive sensibly & the trans will live for awhile" will adhere to!......don't have the double
    canister Fass system, but I do have the Fass ddrp & 4" turbo back exhaust.......So starting from there & as you say, without a "module" that adds timing it's a waste to install
    an injector upgrade..........what type (or brand) "module" would work for a moderate increase in power?.....and followed what size (hp?) injector (set) would compliment the
    module install? ......thanks for weeks of tutorial and advice!.............. Scippy

8. jlbayes

jlbayes Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 & 1997
    Engine:
    5.9l cummins
    Anything vp related I prefer a piggy back module over a flash tuner. Flashing the ecm multiple times seems to wreak havoc on them. Edge ez, ts mvp, and diablo power puck are all non wire tap boxes that will work great with the stock turbo and not overly expensive. They all will compliment a "small" injector well. I prefer to use quadzilla adrenaline with iquadbt. Allows custom tuning to suit the truck to you vs. boxed tuning that is just there. Now it is more expensive and requires some setup time to get the tune right.

9. scippy

scippy Member

Ram Year:
    2002 2500
    Engine:
    5.9l
    What about injectors?.........what would compliment anyone of your suggestions for the non wire tap boxes?

10. scippy

scippy Member

Ram Year:
    2002 2500
    Engine:
    5.9l
    The Edge ez would work well with my budget..(like you said, I want to be mindful of the transmission and also boost some power when towing) what small injector would work well for my needs?....contagious diesel performance has rv2-75 injectors for $325.00