8.4 AN Radio No power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I spoke to lock pic about the capatability issue with the new firmware. I ended up turning off the overide feature so my gps would work but I lost the ability to input any thing while in motion. Also lost the ability to have a passenger add blue tooth music while in motion. Lock pic said they would have a software update soon but I have heard nothing back from them.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
That's funny because they told me their LockPick was 100% compatible with the 17.x.x radio firmware.

Thanks for the info though...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Rusty942630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's funny because they told me their LockPick was 100% compatible with the 17.x.x radio firmware.

Thanks for the info though...

Not unless they got the software updated. There is a guy on YouTube with a charger and the radio lockpic v2 with the same issue. He shut his overide feature off as well so he could use his navigation. I hope the new software update will fix it so I can turn my overuse back on.

Rusty942630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, actually that's the only thing I'm removing as there are A LOT of wires going to it. The only thing not used or the video out's. I just checked the radio again and it powered up normally.

I'm beginning to think there is a bad/weak ground/power somewhere that lost contact due to falling temperatures.

I know from personal experience that the solder points are done with lead free solder which in cold weather if not done good can create issues. I've had radar units and radios in my patrol vehicles that when it got really cold would not work correctly until warmed up. The repair Tech said it was the cold lead free bad solder joints and would resolder and fixed.

Rusty942630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to keep you all waiting for those wanting an update. After much troubleshooting I have come to find that the lockpick air v2 itself is at fault. The manufacturer said its out of warranty (which is only 1 year), the seller already replaced this unit once a couple years ago (4 months after original purchase, had to pay $50 for out of warranty replacement?). I originally thought I had a bad unit then, but maybe this speaks to the quality of the lockpick not being that great.

The unit will not take firmware updates but does power on. Before removing it the only way to get it to power on the radio was to physically unplug the lockpick itself from the wiring harness and plug it back in while the vehicle had power. After a power cycle the same step needed to be repeated to get power to the radio again.

It's possible it's something simple like a cold solder joint and I plan on asking a forum member who already has a lockpick to test my unit with their harness if he's up for it. These things cost too much to easily give up on them!
I have no issue checking your lock pic air v2 for you and doing a video of it .

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have no issue checking your lock pic air v2 for you and doing a video of it .

You were who I had in mind when I made that comment from our earlier PMs! Can you PM me your address?

Rusty942630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You were who I had in mind when I made that comment from our earlier PMs! Can you PM me your address?

Justin Smith
1966 County Road 38
Decatur Nebraska 68020.

Also here is my cell.
402-380-6875

Joel Langlois

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Starting New Thread...

OK so, this may or may not be related to the update. All was well for me until a few days ago when the radio screen stayed blank after turning on the truck. About 5 minutes into the drive the radio turned on and operated as normal.

A few days later, the same thing happened except now the radio has remained inop (it worked again briefly for a 20 minute drive today). I have switched the in-line fuse in the engine bay, left the battery disconnected for a couple of hours and physically removed the radio and plugged it back in all to no avail.

Some things I noticed while the radio is inop 1. The premium cluster does not display the time 2. The premium cluster didn't show the compass direction but that has come back 3. I have a LockPick connected but it doesn't work with it removed either, oddly the LockPick is passing power on the accessory power to my dashcam but I cannot see its Wi-Fi connection leading me to believe the radio and LockPick are not receiving power. At other times, the LockPick is not passing power to the dashcam. It appears (maybe) that if the Compass direction is not working, the accessory power to my dashcam may also not be working. I can adjust the HVAC with the hard buttons (blower speed, temperature, defrost) but the A/C button will not lite up when this issue occurs.

I really have yet to find a pattern but I believe the issue is that the truck is not supplying power to the radio when this issue occurs and don't think that it's the radio itself at fault (though I could be wrong). I will say that the radio is not working most of the time but when it does it works perfectly.

Any ideas? Is there more than one radio fuse? I know someone had a similar problem but I can't remember if it was for this update as these threads get pretty long.

Thanks in advance...

Same issue. Dealer says they can't replicate, so come back when it happens more often. Any help is appreciated.

Aklyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this thread died a bit ago, but wanted to throw my hat in the ring, I have a 2014 big horn with the 8.4RA3 stock. I have the same issues (not turning on for 3 minutes after in motion) at least ~30% of the time I start the truck (41k miles, got it about 18 months ago or so) while I do have a lockpick v2 as well it is NOT installed and I uninstalled it before the last firmware push (which appears to be successful) even when the radio does come on with the truck, I get the phone error screen at least every 30ish minutes on long drives. dealership is not helping as they cant reproduce. at this point I am looking at swapping one of those tesla-style headunits just cuase its cheaper than buying another 8.4 unit from dealer.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know this thread died a bit ago, but wanted to throw my hat in the ring, I have a 2014 big horn with the 8.4RA3 stock. I have the same issues (not turning on for 3 minutes after in motion) at least ~30% of the time I start the truck (41k miles, got it about 18 months ago or so) while I do have a lockpick v2 as well it is NOT installed and I uninstalled it before the last firmware push (which appears to be successful) even when the radio does come on with the truck, I get the phone error screen at least every 30ish minutes on long drives. dealership is not helping as they cant reproduce. at this point I am looking at swapping one of those tesla-style headunits just cuase its cheaper than buying another 8.4 unit from dealer.
I can confirm I still have all of these issues without the Lockpick installed. I'll add that the Navigation only sometimes works too. When the Lockpick is installed, I get no power whatsoever. I almost wonder if it was the Lockpick that caused this?

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
All the same issues here also. Do not try the update! I'm pretty sure I bricked mine by trying to update to the newest update

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All the same issues here also. Do not try the update! I'm pretty sure I bricked mine by trying to update to the newest update

Did it fail on upgrading the Sierra Wireless Aircard? If so, it's recoverable. Let me know and I'll dig up the resolution tomorrow. Or you could search my posts and you'll find it too (eventually).

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Yeah that's it 72%, Sierra wireless:bolo install failed. Remove usb. Then goes to the white screen and then to an hour glass, then restarts the test..... over and over and over. It doesn't matter if the key is in or not.
997ebe57f81a27ace80eb046b99d1819.jpg
bc70cc364bbfd5984aaccdbaf4c8b810.jpg
d1e2c06c6a5fec76a4f6147191179bf3.jpg

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yep

Ok, sorry to make you wait but I have a newborn who just went to sleep which means I'm going to sleep! I'll dig up the fix tomorrow.

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I have been on the phone with uconnect, ram, mopar and fiat Chrysler and The closest dealership. The shop wanted yo charge me $270 just to try and re flash it and no guaranty that it would fix it. Told me that I would need to buy a whole new unit, which was $991 they said. Or purchase an extended warranty for a little more that way it would cover the radio and everything else also. Where as I told them that I had already seen them about the problem with the "service vehicle phone with the [9-1-1] button turning red. Also the black screen for the first few mins of driving.... They could not duplicate the problem so that never got fixed back in January. The uconnect support told me that I should do this update so that it should fix the problems that I was having. So I downloaded it to a thumb drive and tried installing it, failed, also reformatted it and downloaded it again to the thumb drive, failed. I set up an appointment with the service center. My wife cranks up the truck and everything was working with the update installed she said, by looking under about uconnect menu. But she left the usb plugged in the console and it reverted back to installing the update and is now stuck again. Regardless of the key in or not. She was fast enough to turn the a/c back on before it started the **** again. Thank God!

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have been on the phone with uconnect, ram, mopar and fiat Chrysler and The closest dealership. The shop wanted yo charge me $270 just to try and re flash it and no guaranty that it would fix it. Told me that I would need to buy a whole new unit, which was $991 they said. Or purchase an extended warranty for a little more that way it would cover the radio and everything else also. Where as I told them that I had already seen them about the problem with the "service vehicle phone with the [9-1-1] button turning red. Also the black screen for the first few mins of driving.... They could not duplicate the problem so that never got fixed back in January. The uconnect support told me that I should do this update so that it should fix the problems that I was having. So I downloaded it to a thumb drive and tried installing it, failed, also reformatted it and downloaded it again to the thumb drive, failed. I set up an appointment with the service center. My wife cranks up the truck and everything was working with the update installed she said, by looking under about uconnect menu. But she left the usb plugged in the console and it reverted back to installing the update and is now stuck again. Regardless of the key in or not. She was fast enough to turn the a/c back on before it started the **** again. Thank God!

Fix posted in your other thread...

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1745091