8.4 Radio Dead After Failed Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was having issues with my radio for months after taking it to a dealer for a recall so I decided to re-install the last update in hopes that it would resolve the issues. The update got hung up on Unit 10 then It said Sierra Wireless bolo file install failed. I removed the USB drive and re-inserted when it said to. It ended up just going around in a loop with the same issue. I talked to Uconnect and they said the system was corrupted and it was my fault (couldn't tell me why it was my fault) so I would have to pay a dealer to fix it. Is there any way to get a disc or thumb drive to re-install the system? Any ideas on a fix? This is the version without Navigation.
CODE]

a>

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Is this a 2014 Ra3 or RA4?

If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer for them to fix.

Might be able to send it off to NavRepair (www.infotainment.com) to get fixed for cheaper than the dealer can do it.

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

OP
OP
B

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure if it is a Ra3 or RA4. The truck has 62k on it so it is out of warrenty.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Have you tried redownloading the file and putting on the USB? Then trying to reinstall it?

format USB first also.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I am not sure if it is a Ra3 or RA4. The truck has 62k on it so it is out of warrenty.
Did it have Nav?

OP
OP
B

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried a whole different thumb drive. It does not have Nav.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I tried a whole different thumb drive. It does not have Nav.
OK. Then you have an Ra3/Vp3-NA (non-nav) radio. Unfortunately, I don't have any software for your Ra3 to try.

Some options for you.
- try a redownload/reflashing (not working)

- send it off to NavRepair to fix

- Look for a used 2013-2016 Ra3/Vp3-NA (non-nav) or a RA4/vp4-NA (nav) radio to replace yours from a salvage yard such as LKQ, Car-part, eBay, or similar. (Ram and Cherokee use the same PN)

I have a list of compatible USA (-NA) RA4 pn's ...
INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA)

Should be able to pick up a used Ra3 for $300-$450 or an RA4 for $450-$600

2015 & up have newer map files.

Last edited:

timjthomas23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn if its going to be expensive buy an extended warranty then take it in

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Is it reading the thumb drive at all? There have been cases when updating the radio that the driver for the USB gets corrupted and it will not read the USB correctly or at all. Some have had success plugging a mini usb plug directly into the back of the Radio and updating it that way. Once the update was done, they plugged it back into the reader in the truck and all was good.

OP
OP
B

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A quick update on this, I have a long commute to work and left the thumb drive in and just let it cycle through hoping that it would eventually work. I finally got tired of looking at it and ****** the USB drive out while it was validating the files. That caused the radio to reset and it started working again. I haven't tried the update again and probably won't. I do get a message about 20 minutes into my drive saying that I need to take it to a dealer because the phone isn't working properly. I just hit ok and ignore it, but other than that I do have a working radio again. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thanks, Matt

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Having the exact same issue now. I was on the 17.11.17 update, which that one was over the air download it did back about august 17. Ever since then I kept getting the error message to "service vehicle phone (9-1-1)" and the light on the rear view mirror would turn red. I went to the dealer about this but they could not duplicate the problem so it could not be fixed.
Yesterday I was on the phone with uconnect care and the guy told me that an update was available for my truck that may fix this issue. So I downloaded it to a thumb drive from my laptop and tried it in the truck. Following all directions as instructed by the uconnect website. The file gets stuck on 72%. Sierra wireless: bolo file install failed. Please remove USB stick to reset. So I take it out, it goes to a white screen that says, please insert update USB. So I insert the drive and I get a black screen with an hour glass on it that says it could take 2-5 minutes. The update starts over just to get stuck at 72% again. Regardless if the key is in or not the radio just trys to update.
I went to the dealership and they want to charge me $270 just to try to update it and no guarantee that it would work. They regurgitate what I told them in the beginning that I probably will need a new unit, in which case will need $991 they say. Or I could spend a little more for an extended warranty and it would cover the raidio.... figures, I shouted as I walked out of there pissed! I really just got the impression that if they were going to be there on Friday afternoon they were going to make me pay top dollar for they're time.
I just disconnected the battery last night to keep from running it down overnight. I found this page and tried to pull out the USB as it is in the pre-installation progress and thereel is a pause and the screen goes black. Only to start the process over again. The worst part is that I can't control my A/C controls and it's ******* hot! I don't know what to do....89720144e9961f2b7459921604ca78c5.jpgd499cf5f248976031649e56bd4dff6b6.jpg4a57a8b357b39d71e9ae04c93ab750f3.jpg97b9ddc9176909cf81791d3cf6871a03.jpg

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Can you control the a/c with the alpine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Having the exact same issue now. I was on the 17.11.17 update, which that one was over the air download it did back about august 17. Ever since then I kept getting the error message to "service vehicle phone (9-1-1)" and the light on the rear view mirror would turn red. I went to the dealer about this but they could not duplicate the problem so it could not be fixed.
Yesterday I was on the phone with uconnect care and the guy told me that an update was available for my truck that may fix this issue. So I downloaded it to a thumb drive from my laptop and tried it in the truck. Following all directions as instructed by the uconnect website. The file gets stuck on 72%. Sierra wireless: bolo file install failed. Please remove USB stick to reset. So I take it out, it goes to a white screen that says, please insert update USB. So I insert the drive and I get a black screen with an hour glass on it that says it could take 2-5 minutes. The update starts over just to get stuck at 72% again. Regardless if the key is in or not the radio just trys to update.
I went to the dealership and they want to charge me $270 just to try to update it and no guarantee that it would work. They regurgitate what I told them in the beginning that I probably will need a new unit, in which case will need $991 they say. Or I could spend a little more for an extended warranty and it would cover the raidio.... figures, I shouted as I walked out of there pissed! I really just got the impression that if they were going to be there on Friday afternoon they were going to make me pay top dollar for they're time.
I just disconnected the battery last night to keep from running it down overnight. I found this page and tried to pull out the USB as it is in the pre-installation progress and thereel is a pause and the screen goes black. Only to start the process over again. The worst part is that I can't control my A/C controls and it's ******* hot! I don't know what to do....89720144e9961f2b7459921604ca78c5.jpgd499cf5f248976031649e56bd4dff6b6.jpg4a57a8b357b39d71e9ae04c93ab750f3.jpg97b9ddc9176909cf81791d3cf6871a03.jpg

I just wanted to let you know that I did the same thing and I am in the exact same boat as you now. I'm going to try something novel. I downloaded the Canadian version of the software directly from UConnect Canada's site. I'm hoping it will run now that the truck is in the USB flashing loop but won't error because the Canada trucks do not have Sierra Wireless Aircards...Wish me luck!

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I just wanted to let you know that I did the same thing and I am in the exact same boat as you now. I'm going to try something novel. I downloaded the Canadian version of the software directly from UConnect Canada's site. I'm hoping it will run now that the truck is in the USB flashing loop but won't error because the Canada trucks do not have Sierra Wireless Aircards...Wish me luck!
I ended up throwing a big enough fit to all the closest dealership, uconnect, ram service, mopar service, and fiat Chrysler that they are replacing my radio as we speak for free. On the other note. I left the thumb drive in for a couple of days and one morning I went out there it booted up like normal. So I pulled the thumb drive out before it tried to start the update again. It still is giving me the error message and takes a bit to come on occasionally but like I said they are replacing it right now

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I ended up throwing a big enough fit to all the closest dealership, uconnect, ram service, mopar service, and fiat Chrysler that they are replacing my radio as we speak for free. On the other note. I left the thumb drive in for a couple of days and one morning I went out there it booted up like normal. So I pulled the thumb drive out before it tried to start the update again. It still is giving me the error message and takes a bit to come on occasionally but like I said they are replacing it right now

Great to hear it! This fix didn't work anyway. Apparently, the Canadian site directs you to the exact same download now as the US. Im wondering if I can modify the update to think my truck is Canadian?

Does anyone know the 2014 8.4 RA4 CA part number?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just wanted to verify, leaving the update in to run for several days does in fact un-brick the radio. I left it in from the time of my last post until yesterday morning and when I got in the truck the radio was back and it stated the update was successful.

Maybe there is a very long time out period for bad module flashes? Maybe the Sierra Wireless Aircard responded long enough for the flash to work?

Days of patience appears to be the fix for flashing failures on update 17.43 01...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

WVrailfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ran into the same issue on my 2014 while trying to update my Nav equipped system. I followed the instruction provided on the Uconnect site. The update was uploading fine until it got to part 11, then just stopped. After a few minutes it gave a message to remove the usb drive, a few more minutes and it said to reinsert the usb drive, it started the loading process again and froze in the same spot. Now it is in the endless loop of removing the usb drive, waiting, reinserting the usb drive and freezing at the same spot in the upload process.
I tried using a different usb drive, same issue.

I called Uconnect and they were less than helpful, suggesting that I take it to the dealer, which I will since I purchased the extended warranty when I got this truck last November.

However, the soonest the dealer can get to me is a week and a half, so I'm driving around with no radio, no AC control, no back-up camera and a screen that just keeps bouncing back and forth between "Wait 2-5 minutes" and "Insert usb drive."

Is there a way to completely reboot the system, even if it means losing settings?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963