8 Speed 8PH70 Question

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by SyN, May 16, 2014.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. clh1220

clh1220 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Didn't say it was a waist of time or money for you. It is for me and anybody with a lifetime warranty. Just a difference of opinion. I didn't say you were wrong or I was right. If you want to come back with another pissed off post. Have fun with that,but you took it all wrong.

SyN likes this.
  2. JustB_rad

JustB_rad Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    I get exactly what you are saying...That's the reason I purchased the Lifetime Maxcare warranty to begin with. As long as I follow the recommended maintenance schedule, I'm covered. That schedule doesn't suggest I change transmission fluid, so I have nothing to worry about.....Ever. If you don't have that warranty, I can see why you would want to take your preventative measures.

3. huntergreen

huntergreen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    i get what you are doing. here is my 2 cents. there is no right or wrong. i like that aluminum pan btw. pm will never hurt as long as it is done correctly. that being said, far as i know, there isnt any pm to be done to internal sensors. that, imo, is where most issues will happen. my other thought is, how does FCA define "lifetime" when it come to the trans.

4. moregrip

moregrip Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    hey SyN, I just wanted to say thanks for doing all this research, I sincerely appreciate it! I never bought into the "transmission fluid is good for life" statement either. I'm sitting right at 47k on my 2014.
    I plan on attempting the service soon! In the 50k-60k range as my RAM truck has been a highway queen for most of those miles and has lived a pampered synthetic oil life!

With that said, any feedback on the quality/effectiveness of the replaceable filter PPE uses?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. SyN

SyN Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    No No No! I'm very far away from pissed off! That's for the younger generation. Just the opposite for myself.

I don't have the lifetime warranty nor would I want to have to fight my local dealer for any of that warranty work to be done. I will leave that drama for the females on Facebook!

I do once again apologize! As well as for misreading your post!

I will say also: Todd the ZF tech I chatted with for over 35 min enlightened me with information I already knew---->There is no Lifetime fluid.
    This Transmission should be serviced around the 60k mile mark. (That is ZF recommendation!) Not Required but Recommended! You decide whether or not You know more about this transmission then those that built it! (Built it not Sold it).
    This so called Holy Elixer Expensive A$$ Special ZF fluid is not even a Full synthetic base. It's all about Profit! $$$$ Show us they Money!!!!

I'm only doing what is in my best interest as well as the mechanical depenabilaty of my Rams drivetrain & sharing that info. But None of this is done without hours/hours of research behind it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Hemi395 and Wild one like this.
  6. Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    This should answer a lot of questions! ;)

Straight from ZF the manufacturer of the transmission
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lubricantslists/TE-ML_11.pdf

5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as 4HP20 automatic transmissions: ZF 5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as the ZF 4HP20 automatic transmissions are filled maintenance-free with specially developed partially synthetic ATF oils. Maintenance-free fills are intended for normal operating conditions. Especially driving at very high operating temperatures can result in accelerated aging or increased wear of ATF oils. It is recommended, in the event of severe operating conditions, such as:
    - frequent highway driving in top speed range
    - offensive, sporty driving style
    - frequent trailer operation, being above average

oil purification (oil change) on automatic transmissions is recommended between 80,000 km and 120,000 km, or 8 years, depending on the load. In each case, only released ATF oil may be used for oil changes. And oil changes must be performed in accordance with the relevant specifications.

7. Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. SyN

SyN Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    ^^We within these walls are just a microscopic few of the owners who realize the need to service this transmission.

I do see the plastic pans are getting cheaper in price! I myself like the 1 time buy aluminum pan as being MY best option! If it drops my trans temps 5-10 degrees its well worth it! Especially when I'm towing.

I'm not too concerned with the filter media due to I have the best of both worlds installed (Spin-On Synthetic media filter with a ceramic neodymium magnets inside). Now I have FULL Confidence my fluid is always extremely clean going back to the transmission from the coolers. But having a pan filter with some type of Synthetic media is & would be a Huge benefit.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Wild one likes this.
  9. huntergreen

huntergreen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    i have been told, land rover a few other mfg using the same trans suggest a 70000 mile fluid change. only FCA says lifetime fill.

SyN likes this.
  10. SyN

SyN Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    ^^I can see that! At least they have sense enough to be realistic & realize ATF does NOT last forever!

I can see 70k for a daily driver! (Land Rover)
    For a Truck that works 50K-60K is very realistic & logical.