8 speed clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well its not really a clunk but when coming to a stop about a second after the truck re settles its weight from braking i feel a second shift or clunk if you will almost like shifting into drive only alot softer. i feel it in the seat. Anyone else get this. Awesome forum here too. been lurking a while.

dodgehemi0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get this it's kind of feels like somebody tapped you from behind?

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just started to notice this yesterday coming home from work, it happened about 4 times, kind of worries me to be honest.

blikike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed this too, and I can't remember where i read it but i believe it's due to your fuel tank. My tank is a 26 gallon fuel tank and I usually only feel the tap from behind when i have 3/4 to a full tank in the truck. Check where you are with gas when you feel the bump and document it and see if this may be the issue. I've gotten use to it, but sometimes it does give me a little miniature freak out. LOL Hope this helps.

OP
OP
R

RogerM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmm I guess fuel sloshing back and forth could cause it. I will see if it continues as my tank empties.

OP
OP
R

RogerM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure if the fuel tank thing can be it, I can get it to do it with a brake release and re apply at a light. almost no movement.

frankmm2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have it looked at especially if you are under warranty. I had something like this happen with an 09 GMC Sierra and it was slack in the rear end that was causing the issue.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
Sorry, ......

..... but glad I am not the only one having the "clunk" sound/feel when coming to a stop! And, mine is getting worse, and makes no difference if tank is full or 1/2 empty!

Blaming this on the fuel tank is pure "BS"!

I believe its "slack " somewhere in the drive train, that sooner or later is going to cause a BIG problem ($$$) for all!

My truck has the dreaded "S" in the 11th digit of the VIN and has all ready had 5 warranty claims. Have told them that claim #6 and I'm getting a Lemon Law Lawyer :favorites68:

AT this point I am SICK of this truck, especially since so MANY folks advised me against the Dodge brand.

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
my '13 with the 8 speed has not developed this yet.....Hope it stays away, but likely it will start doing it, now that I said it!

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Damn........

............. we just got back from shopping and every time I came to a stop, the "clunk", and it feels like someone hit me in the rear at about 10mph!

It was random, and the dealer just said to wait and see :favorites68:

Now its EVERY damn time I come to a stop and slowly getting worse!

Looks like warranty repair #6 in the near future (the net visit is Lemon Law time)! Something in the drive train has to GIVE soon :favorites68:

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Dealer just called

REF: 2013 Ram 1500, SLT, 6cyl, 8 spd, 4x4, Crew with 9200 mi

The Service Mgr and a mechanic have witnessed the "clunk" and the feeling of being hit from the rear, along with the audible CLUNK....... Its now every time the truck comes to a STOP. and once in a while when shifting between 40 - 50mph

Dealer called to say they have opened a "Star Case" an are awaiting Chrysler Engineering to tell them where to start:banghead:

At this point they do not know if its the transmission or in the rear end :mfr_omg:

At this point I am at wits end, as this is the 6th warranty repair, #5 was just last week!

If you are experiencing the "clunk" I would take the truck in ASAP, as mine went from random to every stop ..... overnite!

Last edited:

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Well its not really a clunk but when coming to a stop about a second after the truck re settles its weight from braking i feel a second shift or clunk if you will almost like shifting into drive only alot softer. i feel it in the seat. Anyone else get this. Awesome forum here too. been lurking a while.

I know exactly what you're talking about! When the back end of the truck settles after a full stop you feel a slight bump or clunk. It feels like slack in the transfer case or drive shaft to me.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have none of this. I get tank slosh, but it's minor and I only notice it when backing into my garage for some reason.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Not yet.....

REF: 2013 Ram 1500, SLT, 6cyl, 8 spd, 4x4, Crew with 9200 mi

The Service Mgr and a mechanic have witnessed the "clunk" and the feeling of being hit from the rear, along with the audible CLUNK....... Its now every time the truck comes to a STOP. and once in a while when shifting between 40 - 50mph

Dealer called to say they have opened a "Star Case" an are awaiting Chrysler Engineering to tell them where to start:banghead:

At this point they do not know if its the transmission or in the rear end :mfr_omg:

At this point I am at wits end, as this is the 6th warranty repair, #5 was just last week!

If you are experiencing the "clunk" I would take the truck in ASAP, as mine went from random to every stop ..... overnite!
------------------------

Dealer just called and said they had been exchanging emails with Chrysler Engineering all day with no resolution!

They do not want to open up anything w/o Chryslers blessing, as they really do not know where to start!

Could be it be the rear axle pinion nut, loosening?????????????

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This does sound similar to the fuel tank bump. This goes as far back as 2009 as far as I am aware and normally happens with the 32 gallon tank when it is 3/4 to 1/2 full and rarely felt at other times. I do not remember anyone with the 26 gallon tank mention anything about it but I could be wrong.

The 32 gallon tanks do not have any baffles so the fuel will slosh back and forth and feel like a bump. It is about 170 lbs of fuel hitting the front of the tank so it will feel like someone bumped you.

Hopefully it is not the drive train.

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
This does sound similar to the fuel tank bump. This goes as far back as 2009 as far as I am aware and normally happens with the 32 gallon tank when it is 3/4 to 1/2 full and rarely felt at other times. I do not remember anyone with the 26 gallon tank mention anything about it but I could be wrong.

The 32 gallon tanks do not have any baffles so the fuel will slosh back and forth and feel like a bump. It is about 170 lbs of fuel hitting the front of the tank so it will feel like someone bumped you.

Hopefully it is not the drive train.

I ruled fuel slosh out because I know tanks usually have baffles built in. But if you're saying the 32 gal tank doesn't have baffles, then there could be some validity here to the theory of fuel slosh dynamics...

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
My 32 gallon sloshes... Not sure about the lack of baffles... I don't care... I LOVE having the larger tank.

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
My 32 gallon sloshes... Not sure about the lack of baffles... I don't care... I LOVE having the larger tank.

That makes two of us! I'll never let it go past 1/2 a tank though, otherwise I'll go into pump shock when I fill her up haha!

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Do what .............

................ Fuel slouch is ludicrous :disgust:

Before I took her in this last time (Monday) I filled the tank to the top and drove her to 1/4 tank, no change in the "clunk" or the bump feel thru out the tank at each stop.

Dealer still has it (as of Wednesday nite), Engineering is still searching for answers! This is the 6th repair (if they fix it)

Got a very favorable call from Chrysler Customer Service today (not willing to discuss subject matter at this time) as they want to wait for a resolution to this last problem!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye