8 speed clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After coming to a stop I get a Light thud, like being tapped from behind... It doesn't happen all the time I'd say 20% of the time each time I drive it... I filled my tank up this morning and drove where there are a lot of stops, no thuds..... Could it really be fuel slosh???? I will keep it on full on monitor for the sake of my sanity....:boxed:
Yeah,.......it's not the fuel in the tank. It's the transmission.

Tuggr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Anyone have a situation where truck has been parked and when you put the key in to start truck as the selector passes the RUN position an audible clunk or thunk can be heard and felt. The dealer says that could be the AC unit but it feels like it comes from under my seat through the floor.
Anyone with ideas appreciated.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah,.......it's not the fuel in the tank. It's the transmission.

It very well can be the fuel tank. The fuel slosh and the harsh 2-1 downshift are two separate issues that can be confused as the same.

If there’s a slight thud felt AFTER coming to a stop and the fuel level is at the right spot it can slosh and cause the feeling, depending how hard you came to a stop. Some of the tanks don’t have baffles and this will happen.

If you feel a clunk just before coming to a stop as it shifts from 2-1 then it’s from the transmission. Which unfortunately they all seem to do at one point or another. Both my 14 and 17 did it, although the 17 seems to do it quite a bit less.

SteveRG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '17 does this as well. 5.7, 32 gal, 3.92 rear, 8spd.
Dealer did a computer update, still happening. Dealer now says they've replaced a valve body in a couple of transmissions, even replaced one tranny. Gonna have them ck again on next oil change. Gotta get this resolved.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I totally buy the driveshaft dry spline explanation. My 02 Ranger did the same thing. Not only is it annoying, but the splines are developing play with every revolution and will at some point contribute to the truck shaking on the highway.
I cured the thump in the ranger by stabbing a spray grease nozzle, Like a WD40 squirt nozzle, into the rubber bellows thing and spraying it basically everywhere.
But it still shook. So I got a new driveshaft.
Then I traded it in on a Ram 1500.
Why you guys with your thumps and bumps don't try lubing the splines is beyond me. It's pretty easy. Especially if you use my ghetto method.

Rowdy Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had this happen on a mustang I own and it was a lose universal joint.had to tighten up the strap on ithe in the rear...my 17 has had it happened a few times...

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I totally buy the driveshaft dry spline explanation. My 02 Ranger did the same thing. Not only is it annoying, but the splines are developing play with every revolution and will at some point contribute to the truck shaking on the highway.
I cured the thump in the ranger by stabbing a spray grease nozzle, Like a WD40 squirt nozzle, into the rubber bellows thing and spraying it basically everywhere.
But it still shook. So I got a new driveshaft.
Then I traded it in on a Ram 1500.
Why you guys with your thumps and bumps don't try lubing the splines is beyond me. It's pretty easy. Especially if you use my ghetto method.

OK I no longer buy the driveshaft explanation. It's not set up like my 5 speed ranger was.
ALSO I now noticed the clunk myself. It seems like it's only when not yet up to temperature, and I must be very very slowly coming to a stop.
Hmm.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK I no longer buy the driveshaft explanation. It's not set up like my 5 speed ranger was.
ALSO I now noticed the clunk myself. It seems like it's only when not yet up to temperature, and I must be very very slowly coming to a stop.
Hmm.

Did re greasing the spline work to resolve your issue?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive noticed the harshness of the clunk can vary based on how hard I am on the brake pedal as I slow to a stop.

If I back off the pedal just a bit at the time you would expect the clunk, its either lessened a lot or you cant even feel it at all.

Makes me wonder if its an interaction between brakes and/or ABS and the transmission.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it’s worth, better brakes have helped a bit for me. On mine, I have the periodic clunk (especially when towing) as well as the “surge”. The surge feels like the truck is fighting you when trying to come to a stop. For those who remember rear drum brakes, the sensation is similar to the rear drums being way out of adjustment and not doing anything, and the front brakes alone are just not powerful enough to stop the vehicle properly.

I replaced the crap OEM brakes and rotors with PowerStops. It was tough to get them seated in properly. The break in procedure was followed but they didn’t seat properly for maybe ~500 miles or more. Now I notice a significant improvement in stopping power, stopping smoothness, and maybe even fewer hard downshifts and clunks when stopping.

At this point, I doubt Ram will ever offer a true fix. But there are a few options that can help. I have yet to try greasing the splines on the driveshaft and would like to hear from others who have tried this to see how much that has helped.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive noticed the harshness of the clunk can vary based on how hard I am on the brake pedal as I slow to a stop.

If I back off the pedal just a bit at the time you would expect the clunk, its either lessened a lot or you cant even feel it at all.

Makes me wonder if its an interaction between brakes and/or ABS and the transmission.

Yeah i experience the same issues. When im not slamming on my brakes, the truck will lurch forward 100/100 times. My vavle body was replaced, and it did nothing.

My next step is to bring it to have the splines greased and see if that solves the issue.