8 speed fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 4x4 and doing a transmission filter change. The exhaust cross pipe is completely blocking the drain and one of the bolts. Should I have to take the exhaust off?

hornychief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 4x4 and doing a transmission filter change. The exhaust cross pipe is completely blocking the drain and one of the bolts. Should I have to take the exhaust off?
How come are you doing the fluid change? Also do you have the necessary tools to make sure your level is good?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ZF Services experts recommend to change transmission oil after 100,000 kilometers.

I have the tools to do it.

hornychief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not a 6 speed.
8 speeds are filled for life per Chrysler specs

OP
OP
T

truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like I said originally. The exhaust cross pipe is completely blocking the drain and one of the bolts. This does not appear to be normal per service instruction. Has anyone had this issue before or have any incite?

OP
OP
T

truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since no answer I pulled the y pipe and got access to do the job.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Here's another good video on the ZF fluid checking procedure to supplement Johns excellent video.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
It's not a 6 speed.
8 speeds are filled for life per Chrysler specs

I don’t believe in filled for life. You need to define life if th vehicle.

Benr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed mine, and had trouble with it ever since. Changing hard, shuddering worse than ever. Took it to the Dodge place finally. they aske me what fluid I put in there and I told them I went to the auto parts store they said this was the only one to put. Well they gave me the wrong fluid. I going to this weekend try to change and do a whole system redneck style and see if I can get all the fluid out and then drop the pan and change pan and filter again. then add the expensive fluid back. Dodge place said that auto part store owes me a transmission. But I bet I would have a hard time getting that worked out. Thought about can you keep drain plug off and leave truck running on gear would that drain all the fluid out or do I need to take line going to the oil cooler and opening it there ? 1st time try. I have a 2014 with 300+ miles on it. So to me if I screw it up, I am really not out anything. I got to get a transmission or hopes this works. Then I can't decide to get one from the dealer or junk yard with a truck with that many miles. Still a great running truck. Transmission was fine until the wrong fluid.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use the search bar for 8 speed fluid change or zf fluid there are tons of guys on here that have changed the fluid with no issues. A lot of bad info so far in this thread. Yes Chrysler says its filled for life but thats like saying don't change your oil either. The actual transmission manufacture says other wise and it should be changed. Fluid has to be the specific fluid for it on the refill or yes it will more than likely act up. Again do some searching on here there are several articles on it. Plus this should be in the engine and performance section not exterior mods please move.

UHB1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Liter
I changed mine, and had trouble with it ever since. Changing hard, shuddering worse than ever. Took it to the Dodge place finally. they aske me what fluid I put in there and I told them I went to the auto parts store they said this was the only one to put. Well they gave me the wrong fluid. I going to this weekend try to change and do a whole system redneck style and see if I can get all the fluid out and then drop the pan and change pan and filter again. then add the expensive fluid back. Dodge place said that auto part store owes me a transmission. But I bet I would have a hard time getting that worked out. Thought about can you keep drain plug off and leave truck running on gear would that drain all the fluid out or do I need to take line going to the oil cooler and opening it there ? 1st time try. I have a 2014 with 300+ miles on it. So to me if I screw it up, I am really not out anything. I got to get a transmission or hopes this works. Then I can't decide to get one from the dealer or junk yard with a truck with that many miles. Still a great running truck. Transmission was fine until the wrong fluid.

Interesting, with over 300k miles on the transmission the first question is always, “ was the fluid ever changed before?”

If not, even if you put in the right fluid you are asking for trouble. With that kind of mileage, oxidation and varnish build up will have occurred and it is too late to change the fluid. The new fluid will clean up or dissolve the varnish and other gunk and cause all kinds of shifting issues as the fluid goes through and plugs up the hydraulic control maze.

If you have not already done so, drain and fill a few times with clean new fluid and drive a few hundred miles in between changes. Change the filter and drain & fill one more time. There is a chance that you could pick up enough “goop” to clean up and keep running for a while longer.

Best bet, if you are a long hauler is drain and fill as per ZF spec (not Fiat Chrysler) 80k kilometre for severe service and 120k kilometre for light duty service. (50k miles to 75k miles)

Which fluid did the auto parts place recommend and steer you down the wrong path with?

Last edited: