85 W150 intermittent heater issue

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Brucecmc, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Brucecmc

Brucecmc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1985 Power Ram W-150
    Engine:
    318 V8 5.2L
    Assuming my "back probe" connections were good, there was NO voltage at the terminal so next hop looks like that resistor dsexpress referred to. But it's getting dark, my light is friggin burned out (so I find now) and I can't see jack. Will pick up tomorrow. Getting this t/s tip from the hayn s manual chapter 3 (3-6). Will post results of that test. Getting closer to that heater control circuit WOLFIE. Does that circuit work with both the AC and heater controller ?

2. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    best spot to check is the fuse panel with the key in the run position to see if the heater circuit is getting any power. and go from there.

there is 2 difference resister circuits. 1 of them allows the fans to spin faster on high than the other circuit. the input on my 93's switch failed so i had to bypass it. i got my remote start hooked up to the slower spinning circuit and hot wired the faster spinning circuit so the motor is always spinning but it is better than no heat. i usually unplug the blower motor in the summer.

3. Brucecmc

Brucecmc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1985 Power Ram W-150
    Engine:
    318 V8 5.2L
    Hmmm. Are the 2 different resisters for the fan in that one control circuit that you sent the pic of ? I don't wanna by-pass. Really wanna try and fix this bugger if possible. Every time you respond I get something new to look up. Lol. "Remote start"

4. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    the picture i posted before is the switch. depending which setting you have the heat on effects how high of a high speed the blower motor blower motor has. the blower motor resister is behind the glove box but above the heater box but i would still check for power at the fuse first. checking for power at the fuse will help you get a better idea where your issue may be.

lol. ya a remote start is nice especially if you live somewhere cold but you almost need a fuel injected vehicle to have one. for me it was the best $20 i have spent on this thing.

5. Brucecmc

Brucecmc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1985 Power Ram W-150
    Engine:
    318 V8 5.2L
    Oh. You mean a literal "remote start" like newer vehicles have. Roger on the fuse box. I'll check that first thing tomorrow.

6. Brucecmc

Brucecmc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1985 Power Ram W-150
    Engine:
    318 V8 5.2L
    Is that voltage suppose read 12v at the fuse box?

7. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    haha ya remote start just like newer vehicle. it may cause you to use more fuel in the winter time but is so worth it.

ya you should see 12v at it with the key in the run position if everything is working properly.

8. Brucecmc

Brucecmc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1985 Power Ram W-150
    Engine:
    318 V8 5.2L
    Cool. So, when I bought the truck, the fella told me the AC wasn't working. Could correcting this issue with the heater have ANY bearing on the non functioning AC? Granted the AC problem cud be absolutely anything. I'm just wondering if the power and controls for the heater would affect the AC since it's the same control unit.

9. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    it is possible but not likely. the reason you don't have a/c is likely caused by a leaking seal somewhere that let all the refrigerant out. i know i am in the same boat with my 93. it had a/c when i got it but it no longer has anything in the system. i have considered fixing and recharging it but it really don't get hot enough in the summer for me to justify it.

10. Brucecmc

Brucecmc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1985 Power Ram W-150
    Engine:
    318 V8 5.2L
    I'll have a stroke if I don't get it fixed by summer. 100 degrees and 1000% humidity. Critical piece of equipment.