'86 B350 ball joints

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by xaver, May 14, 2014.

1. xaver

xaver Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hello everybody!

I am new here and I am writing in representation of my friend who recently bought '86 Dodge Ram B350 5.9 V8 (photo) and does not speak english (we are located in Europe).

His current problem is choosing the right ball joints for his vehicle. Which should he use? There are many available with ratings 3600lbs and 4000lbs for H/D suspensions.

I found some sticker on his B350 saying:
    GVWR 8510 LB
    GAWR FRONT 3360 LB
    GAWR REAR 5340 LB

This said, I don't see either 3600LB or 4000LB.

Thank you for any suggestions and help! Have a nice day.

Xaver.

P.S.: Oh, the vehicle does not have dual wheels in the rear.

2. Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
    Engine:
    Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
    I'm new to early dodges myself and changing ball joints on my 89 D250. I would recommend doing research and getting a good feel for the job. The problem apparently someone had with mine previously was they stripped the threads of the ball joint in the upper control arm. I would say use some penetrating oil and take your time in removing them. Good luck.

3. Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
    Engine:
    Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
    Not to hijack this thread but to share some information. The ball joints are threaded into the upper control arms, but here's the kicker. The Upper control arms are not threaded. The ball joints require a specialized socket and the ball joints are self threading. It's no wonder that they are often damaged during installation and/or removal. I have a updated new upper control arm with the reinforcement. I can post up pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested. To do the job the parts I have ordered are the control arm, bushings, ball joint, knuckle, bottom ball joint and install tool.

4. Bear79

Bear79 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins