86 RC ignition help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickpilgrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Working on our 86 RC 318(new to us, not registered since 2010 and no brakes) and thought it would be nice to replace the complete fuel system and ignition system. Pulled out the amazon card and
New 68-74 carb, fuel pump and filter plus lines, replacement distributor, resistor, cap/rotor/wires and the little ecm module( street version) freeze plugs and all gaskets to stop the oil leaks.
Our RC only has 87562 mi on it and ran good with a bit of lifter ticking. The plan was as long as we are pulling the engine out to replace gaskets and frost plugs to put the old(another project) never used Edelbrock Performer cam and lifter set, de-smog the emissions crap and use the 93 360 exhaust manifolds and the other parts and have a nice little RC.
After pulling the 318 out and removing the inner fender rubberized canvas like covers I found what’s in the picture. Is that some form of lean burn system or?
Other peculiar things are: all black engine with lt blue timing cover, water pump and balancer plus oil pan and intake manifold????
Air pump with 2 outlet lines, one to exhaust manifolds and the second in front of #2 catalytic converter???
And dual cat converters with dual pipes all the way to muffler?????
Strange to me as our 2 89’s have nothing like this.
If I end up keeping that ign system do I dare to do the cam/ eliminate air pump and exhaust manifold changes?
Thanks

Attachments

• 53C60C0E-0E61-4DD7-B02F-E832733C46DF.jpg
    53C60C0E-0E61-4DD7-B02F-E832733C46DF.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 12

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that is a version of the lean burn ignition system. if you are planing on spending money on the engine you are best to spend the extra $150 or so on either a 4 pin ignition system or an aftermarket ignition system and all the parts to convert it. you will likely need to replace the distributor anyways since i don't know how well the whole setup would work with a non computerized carb. the lean burn setup generally controls the timing where on the other setups it is usually vacuum controlled.