'98 1500 4x4 Front Axle Driveline & Wheel hub/bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98WARWAGON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*FIRST POST*

I just got my hands on to a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l V8 gasser. Little disclaimer I am no expert but I do have a good knowledge of mechanics as I am a machinist by trade. I have had this truck for two weeks & first thing I did was oil change and fluid checks. I have a little bit of slop in the steering wheel and some wander (which Im learning is a bit common for the truck.)

Truck has been aligned however, I know my U-joints are shot. I want to replace the entire drive line for front axle as well as wheel hubs/bearing since ill be removing them to get to the drive line.

Here is the main issue I have,
I want to put DANA 44 driveline in I love these 4x4 axles. Driveline has a spline count of 30. I do not see any wheel hub/bearing with a spline count of 30! Moog says their spline count is 33 but both manufactures claim its a "universal" fitting.

Quick bit of research shows that the 30 spline count is what should be in the truck now. Id like to avoid tearing everything a part just to put no new parts back in. Has anybody come across this issue before? Recommendations for hub/bearing as Im pretty set on the Dana 44 gear.

OP
OP

98WARWAGON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 1500 Front Axle Driveline & Wheel hub/bearing

*FIRST POST*

I just got my hands on to a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l V8 gasser. Little disclaimer I am no expert but I do have a good knowledge of mechanics as I am a machinist by trade. I have had this truck for two weeks & first thing I did was oil change and fluid checks. I have a little bit of slop in the steering wheel and some wander (which Im learning is a bit common for the truck.)

Truck has been aligned however, I know my U-joints are shot. I want to replace the entire drive line for front axle as well as wheel hubs/bearing since ill be removing them to get to the drive line.

I want to put DANA 44 driveline in I love these 4x4 axles. Driveline has a spline count of 30. I do not see any wheel hub/bearing with a spline count of 30! Moog says their spline count is 33 but both manufactures claim its a "universal" fitting.

Quick bit of research shows that the 30 spline count is what should be in the truck now. Id like to avoid tearing everything a part just to put no new parts back in. Has anybody come across this issue before? Recommendations for hub/bearing as Im pretty set on the Dana 44 gear.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
*FIRST POST*

I'm not very familiar with the 4x4 spline counts on the various axles, but the bearings are part of the hub assembly, you just replace the hub. Autozone or someone like that will be able to find the part you need if you give them the VIN or the old part to match it up.

However, unless there is an issue with the hubs I don't see a need to replace them when they cost about 100 a piece (I think thats what list was, i'm not certain on parts cost since I started working at sears auto).

For the U-joints, just replace those, no need to replace the whole driveline, U-joints should be anywhere from 15-30 a piece. Being proactive is good, but the only things you need to be proactive about on these trucks is hoses and seals. And the trans, lots of preventive maintenance on that.

OP
OP

98WARWAGON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I learned last night the hub was one assembly which is really cool and found the correct spline count. If you didnt know, the 98+ 2500 takes the heavy duty spline count, mustve fat fingered it on the autozone website. Thanks for the tip, what kind of PM on the trans should I be doing?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
94-01 Dodge D44 hubs pretty well all interchange. Only problem children are the 4 wheel ABS trucks.
If it's for a 98 1500, it'll work.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I learned last night the hub was one assembly which is really cool and found the correct spline count. If you didnt know, the 98+ 2500 takes the heavy duty spline count, mustve fat fingered it on the autozone website. Thanks for the tip, what kind of PM on the trans should I be doing?

Trans cooler if you dont have it, and fluid+filter changes all the damn time. Every 30-60k depending on the health of the trans. you're best off either putting an inline filter by the trans cooler, or putting one down by the trans and just putting a pickup in the pan, and getting a pan with a drain plug.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Trans cooler if you dont have it, and fluid+filter changes all the damn time. Every 30-60k depending on the health of the trans. you're best off either putting an inline filter by the trans cooler, or putting one down by the trans and just putting a pickup in the pan, and getting a pan with a drain plug.

Don't go over 30k