98 5.2l spitting/popping and losing power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys so i have a 1998 5.2L and lately when I get in it and start driving it starts popping and spitting and loses all power till I get off the gas and it settles itself and it starts moving again. Today it was extremely close to completely dying out... BUT once the truck gets up to a decent operating temp it stops doing it.

I do know I have a fuel pump on the way out (gas gauge doesnt work, and hard start unless prime the lines a couple times) trying to see if you guys think it could be anything else...

Maybe some plugs on the way out causing spark loss?

Maybe clogged cats?

Pic of Truck :)

8x1oxx.jpg

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any check engine lights?

I would start with a tune up if you haven't done one lately. Plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. I put quite a few dist caps and rotors on my 5.9 magnum.

Clogged cat really does sound possible, get under the truck and bang on the cat and see if it rattles.

Other possibilities are the cam position sensor (under the dist cap) or even a crank sensor. But I doubt it would be those if there is no check engine light.

OP
OP
Charles.rogers1

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any check engine lights?

I would start with a tune up if you haven't done one lately. Plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. I put quite a few dist caps and rotors on my 5.9 magnum.

Clogged cat really does sound possible, get under the truck and bang on the cat and see if it rattles.

Other possibilities are the cam position sensor (under the dist cap) or even a crank sensor. But I doubt it would be those if there is no check engine light.

nope no lights, which sucks cause then there's no solid lead haha

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Any check engine lights?

Agree

First check to see if all wires are connected to plug and cap - a loose one might be the cause.

Then ...
Plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor.

Could be a cracked plug, bad wire, cracked cap

Also, tighen the valve covers to avoid or stop that leak.

OP
OP
Charles.rogers1

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree

First check to see if all wires are connected to plug and cap - a loose one might be the cause.

Then ...
Plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor.

Could be a cracked plug, bad wire, cracked cap

Also, tighen the valve covers to avoid or stop that leak.

Which leak?? and will do! :)

kyle watson

Reaction score
Ram Year
96 ram 1500
Engine
5.9L
you got a sensor going out. runs bad cold till it warms up?
prolly O2s. they only warranty for one year. never use bosch or el-cheapos. the heating element heats slow and the sensor wount read till it hot.
my *** NGK sensors seem to last 5 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock