98 Ram wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fullblast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all.

I have a 98 Ram 1500 5.2 2wd.

Was driving the other day just fine and while stopped at a light, it died on me.....now it just spins over no problem but will not crank.

The fuel pump is sending fuel and when i press the relief on the fuel rail, fuel sprays out.

So im assuming its an ignition problem.

I replaced the plugs, wires, and distrubutor cap and rotor in May. I have not Re-checked the cap and rotor yet.

I replaced the coil today and it still wont start.

Could it be a bad cap or rotor....or a crank sensor? I did a diagnostic and there are no codes.

Any chance it could be the pcm or a ground issue?

Any advice would be appreciated....i gotta get this thing going.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
More likely the crank sensor. First double check to make sure there is no spark at the coil wire. If not, go ahead with the crank sensor. Post if you need assistance and updates please :)

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same exact thing happened in my 99 Jeep Cherokee. I was driving and it died without any warning. It would crank, but not start. It was the crank position sensor for me.

OP
OP
F

Fullblast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where is the crank sensor located? Do i have to remove the starter?

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Crank sensor is located behind the passenger side head on the bellhousing, google it and there are plenry of diagrams to help you out.

Also check your ASD relay in the fuse block under the hood, i swapped that relat with my AC relay and it fixed a random stall i had.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Crank sensor is behind the passenger head on the bellhousing like mentioned above and CAN be a pain in the ass. Not hard just hard to reach. Either a 1/2" socket or 1/4" allen key, 2 bolts. That's it

OP
OP
F

Fullblast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys....im going to replace the crank sensor and inspect my fuses and relays....i dont have anybody to help me turn the engine over while i inspect the spark.

Whats the best way to see if the coil is sparking?

How about taking a spark plug thats connected to a wire and holding it against exhaust manifold to see if it sparks?

my98ramquad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The old spark plug trick would work to see if you have spark. Also in my experience even though it is showing pressure at the fuel port doesn't exactly mean it the right/enough pressure it should have to run. Fuel pump could be weak. As in for the crank sensor, did it throw a CEL? If so do you have the capabilities to get a code scanner on it to see what it is throwing? Have the same issues with a customers Ram and it ended up being the ECM out of no where. LMK if I can help or did help.

OP
OP
F

Fullblast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you change this crank sensor? Its a nightmare. I cant get a wrench on it from any position. I got a slight turn on one but thats it.

Do you have to remove the. Transmission dipstick and go from the bottom?

OP
OP
F

Fullblast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a code scanner and its showing theres no codes at all.

my98ramquad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The last one I did I took off the passenger wheel and reached in pretty much by feel only and got it. It is not fun at, also have done it by pretty much laying in the engine bay.

OP
OP
F

Fullblast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well...good news. I turned the key and truck turned over on the first start.

Its been raining the past week and im thinking tbe moisture got in the cap and rotor, so im going to replace them both.

Thanks guys

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A failing crank sensor can still work intermittently. Just know that if it is the cps failing, it will happen again.

And as inconvenient it is to get to (My Jeep we had to use a long extension and a couple swivels to get to the bolts), it's more inconvenient to break down on the side of the road.

Last edited:

my98ramquad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A failing crank sensor can still work intermittently. Just know that if it is the cps failing, it will happen again.

And as inconvenient it is to get to (My Jeep we had to use a long extension and a couple swivels to get to the bolts), it's more inconvenient to break down on the side of the road.

I Agree

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Personally, I think its highly unlikely that water got into the cap and rotor, its back in the engine, unless you had a torrential downpour, i'm going to guess its the cps. I just had to replace one on my dads suburban. Let me tell you, those are much harder.

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 97 half ton 5.9 in high school that somehow got water in the distributor cap when I pressure washed the engine bay, despite me doing it tons of times, and I couldn't get it to start. So i left it at the car wash over night and came back and it started right up the next day. I also had the camshaft positioning sensor fail and had similar symptoms you had, couldn't get it to turn over. The really exciting thing was trying to find a camshaft positing sensor because the dealership said 97's never got them. And every part store had a different name for it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I had a 97 half ton 5.9 in high school that somehow got water in the distributor cap when I pressure washed the engine bay, despite me doing it tons of times, and I couldn't get it to start. So i left it at the car wash over night and came back and it started right up the next day. I also had the camshaft positioning sensor fail and had similar symptoms you had, couldn't get it to turn over. The really exciting thing was trying to find a camshaft positing sensor because the dealership said 97's never got them. And every part store had a different name for it.
Cam pickup is what it is called

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cam pickup is what it is called

I believe that is what I ended up finding it named as. I was like 17 I think when this happened. I just remember not being able to find one anywhere. So I called the dealership and they said that there wasn't one, and that there wasn't another name for it in it's place.