99 dodge ram ext cab rear doors stuck closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houly83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318CI
I recently bought a 99 1500 ext cab 5.2 shortbed. The previous owner never used the rear doors and there stuck closed any ideas on how to get them open and working again ?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did this a number of years ago on a similar truck. Wish I could remember exactly how we got them open. I know we had the interior panels off and we had to pull the release from in the door while pulling and pushing at the same time after spraying it with anti seize a few times because it was seized from corrosion

OP
OP
H

Houly83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318CI
Yea i did that today got the top latch to release but the bottom wont budge with a friend pulling and me kicking from the inside, i soaked it with penetrating oil. Ill try again tomorrow after it soaks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You may have to do what I did. I didn't open mine for years, to get the rear passenger open I had to use vise grips to pull up on the lowwer release and put a 4x4 against the inside of the door and beat it for 5 minutes with a sledge hammer. It eventually popped open without any damage.

Also, spray penetrating oil on the rod leading down to the mechanism, and I mean drown that thing, there is bound to be corrosion on the inside as well.