99? Ram random heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My buddy has a 99 Ram and the way he is describing it the heat works about 1 day a week. He says when it isn't working, the air is warmer than outside but not warm/hot. He says it is completely random and nothing changes to make it work again. My first thought is something with the blend door but I don't have much experience with the 2nd Gen.

Any help guys? My buddy lives 3 hours north so I can't do any testing of different components. I'm just trying to help him out as his trans is the reason the truck is in the shop right now.

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
My bet is the heater core is clogging up. I would flush the core and if at all possible the rest of the coolant system.

This happened to me on my 2000 Dakota - never had heat in it until one night I smoked a deer in it and broke some of the clog free. Had a lil heat after the deer so flushed the core the next day and had heat like you wouldn't believe.

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess it just doesn't make sense to me. He was thinking along the same lines but I figured if it still worked randomly I didn't think it was a coolant flow issue.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My bet is the heater core is clogging up. I would flush the core and if at all possible the rest of the coolant system.

This happened to me on my 2000 Dakota - never had heat in it until one night I smoked a deer in it and broke some of the clog free. Had a lil heat after the deer so flushed the core the next day and had heat like you wouldn't believe.

+1 id bet this is the issue.