A/C Condenser replacment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This issue only really applies to the newer trucks that use R1234yf refrigerant.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since R1234yf is a replacement for R134A why not just vacuum out the system and put R134A in it if your out of warranty? The R134A is still cheap as hell compared to the new stuff and is for sale on eBay and I'm sure at your local parts store. I didn't do a whole lot of research but I did see 12 cans on eBay (R134A) for $62.95 which is peanuts.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
R1234yf and R134a are not interchangeable. Yes one replaced the other and they are somewhat similar chemically, but they are not interchangeable. R1234yf systems use a lot less refrigerant compared to R134a. So even if you somehow managed to charge a 1234yf system with 134A you would not get even close to the same cooling effect with the same charge of 1234yf. You would need almost double the charge which would create even more problems. They also use different fittings so you couldn’t even replace one with the other. R1234yf is also flammable so it needs to be recovered properly. R1234yf systems also use an inline heat exchanger, where 134a does not.

A/C systems are not something to mess with if you’re not sure how they work or what you are doing. I’ve seen far to many A/C systems damaged by people trying to charge it or repair it themselves. A/C repair can also be very expensive when it comes to replacing parts. It’s not really DIY friendly and to be done properly requires a lot more than just one of those cheap DIY cans. Seen A/C systems clogged by those cans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
schul788

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the local repair shops around here won't even touch R1234yf so you can bet it's a bad idea for the DIY. I had to go to my dealer to charge it, they are the only ones that would.

Hopefully this AC condenser trick can save people from replacing the whole condenser. Condenser replacement from the dealer, $1000. O-ring fix and have the dealer charge, $400. Big savings!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This thread is making me glad I have an older 134a system. AC systems are one of the things I won't touch on a vehicle. It's worth the price to have someone that knows what they're doing to work on it. You need a good AC machine or at the very least a good set of AC guages to properly work on and charge an AC system. And even then there's a lot of variables to getting the charge right such as ambient temperature, humidity, etc.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
R1234yf and R134a are not interchangeable. Yes one replaced the other and they are somewhat similar chemically, but they are not interchangeable. R1234yf systems use a lot less refrigerant compared to R134a. So even if you somehow managed to charge a 1234yf system with 134A you would not get even close to the same cooling effect with the same charge of 1234yf. You would need almost double the charge which would create even more problems. They also use different fittings so you couldn’t even replace one with the other. R1234yf is also flammable so it needs to be recovered properly. R1234yf systems also use an inline heat exchanger, where 134a does not.

I'll agree with you on the stipulation that it wouldn't be anything for DIY or most "AC repair guys" to swap 134a into a 1234yf system.
The biggest hurdle is the oil compatibly, 134a will work with oil for 1234yf, but not the other way around. 134a actually has a greater BTU/lbs capacity than 1234yf, the charge weight would be different(less) but with some time and precision measuments a good charge should be possible(this is where having years of refrigeration experience will be a must). The heat exchanger you referenced is to make up for the efficiency loss of the 1234yf and not an issue with 134a(will actually help being the system will inherently hold less refrigerant).

Then there is the "legal" matter, if FCA has switched to 1234yf for EPA greenhouse gas compliance, than yes, swapping 134a into a 1234yf system is emissions system tampering (be we all know that no one ever tampers with a vehicle emissions system....lol).

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If new 1234 stuff is flammable, use liquid propane. Thats probably what its made of.
(Thinking how cold my propane tank gets on a hot day)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk