A/C Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidInJackson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
I am hoping someone can give me some guidance on an issue with my A/C...

It will run for a while just fine, then you can hear what sounds like a door shuts/opens and it begins blowing hot air...if I turn the A/C off, wait a few minutes, it will again start blowing cold air for a bit, then change to heat again...

I assume that it is some kind of vacuum leak, but when trying to find a vacuum diagram I can't seem to determine which of the hundreds that are posted is the one that I need, or would show me where to look...

Any help/assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
it could be a few things, but there is a line by your condensor (generally the black sometimes silver round thing next to passenger side engine compartment by cab.) make sure that is connected to a vacuum line that runs around the back of the motor. I can't get you pics today, but its on the side of the intake, and has a few other vacuum lines on it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll want to try and check that line that DodgeTx mentions, but the blend door is servo actuated and primarily what controls heat operation. I'd also take a look at that to see what its doing. You can listen to it with the key on, vent select set to off and turn the heat select switch from hot to cold. You will hear it best in the passenger footwell up against the trans tunnel. As DodgeTX mentioned, you may want to inspect all the vacuum lines under the dash but also under the hood, a visual inspection and a quick by ear feel is probably all you need.

Does this occur if you start to climb a hill? or otherwise hit the gas?