A/C issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
I have a 2008 Ram 1500 4.7.

So, my a/c fan is blowing but air will not come out of the vents after about 40 minutes or so of use. I suspect that it is one of the doors, specifically the door that controls outside air versus inside air. I made an appointment with a local dodge dealer for a diagnostic, gave them the symptoms, and told them what I thought it was. Here is what I got from them:

Recommended Services
Original Customer Requests Status Cost Declined Approved
A. PERFORM COMPLEMENTARY VEHICLE
INSPECTION $0.00 X
B. CUSTOMER STATES WHEN USING THE HVAC
SYSTEM THE FAN IS BLOWING JUST NO AIR FLOWS
THRU ANY OF THE VENTS, CANNOT CHANGE ANY
OF THE OUTLETS, CHECK AND ADVISE.
$0.00 X
NEEDS EVAP AND BLOWER (EVAP AND BLOWER
CAKED WITH DIRT/MUD) Fail $1,427.60
Subtotal $1,427.60
Totals, Taxes and Fees Cost Declined Approved
Estimate Subtotal $1,427.60 $0.00 $0.00
Shop Fee $40.00 $0.00
Tax $52.16 $0.00
Estimate Total $1,519.76 $0.00
Larry H. Miller Dodge RAM Tucson

As you can see, they want to charge me $1,500 to change out the evap and blower. They charged me for 30 minutes of work for the diagnostic.

I pulled the blower when I got home and looked it over. It was dirty (yeah, it's a 2008) but it all blew off with the air hose. Nothing wrong with the blower. Right above the blower is the door that controls the inside/outside air. I switched positions on the knob from inside/outside and I saw that the door did not move the full range of movement. After working on it for a while, I got it to travel the full range of motion but it's been about 4 weeks and it's starting to give me the same symptoms again. I'm not sure where exactly the evap is to check it but I suspect that it works and/or needs cleaned off.

So, I think that the problem is with this door and I have a couple of questions.

Can I change out the door and will that solve the issue or do I also need to change out the electronics that control the door? Or, do I need to do both?

As to the evap, should I try to locate it and clean it or what? I have cold air but when it's over 100 it does not seem to work, which is probably normal. It's cold air but not super cold. I should probably characterize it as cool air coming out and not really cold.

Thanks for your assistance,

Mike