A/C mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Bradley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Ok so I've got an '06 1500 w/ 4.7L. A/C only blows cold when I'm driving then warm when I stop. I know what you're thinking but I had the auxiliary fan replaced last summer, I checked and it seems to run just fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the aux cooling fan for the condenser works(and the condenser isn't plugged up with bugs, dirt, etc), your possibly low on refrigerant or the compressor is going bad.

OP
OP
R

Rob Bradley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Just had the system topped off two weeks ago. I'll look into the compressor though.

Davesan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just had the system topped off two weeks ago. I'll look into the compressor though.

Low coolant level? Little late but my wife's car had the same issue and surprisingly topping off the coolant fixed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be the engine warming up over a threshold, Im not certain on the 3rd gen trucks but there are a good amount of cars that will turn off the AC if its starting to heat up over the fan threshold.

There could be a few more issues. The ac system could be polluted, if it has a leak water gets in there and really reduces the cooling capacity, so it required more pump speed to get it down to temp, a way to test this is if its in park, and idle is it cold, does it get colder when you hold it at 2k rpms? This usually indicates pollution in the system or the compressor is failing.

Last thing off the top of my head would be the fans are not working properly, its an engine driven fan correct? The clutch might not be engaged fully and its not pulling enough air over the condense to again cool the coolant.

Matthew Oliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l v8 magnum
Ok I just bought a 2003 dodge ram 1500 slt 4.7l V8 magnum just under 120,000 miles on it. My issue is after I did the paperwork an got the keys I drove 20-30 mins to my insurance office an when I shut her off my blower stayed on it wasn't blowing cold nor hot air just like it was sucking air from outside an blowing it inside I restarted the truck now the steering wheel is in the upward position (an yes this matters) and kill the engine again this time it goes off so I go inside take care of my business an come back out when I start the truck up again (note the steering wheel is now back to my preferred position) an guess what no air at all hot nor cold I turn it on an off even shut off an restart the truck an nothing I have since had the dealers mechanic look at it he says it has to do with the ignition. I'm looking for a second, 3rd an maybe a 4th opinion, because I've since drove it 5 1/2 hrs away for about 2-3 weeks an have found that not only does it continue to blow sometimes after the key is taken out requiring me to put the key back in an jiggle it til it shuts off but the position of the steering column kills it as well while I'm driving an then last night for the first time it had to have came on while I was sleeping (I forgot to turn the a.c. power *** to the off position) because when I went to get in it to go to the gym I couldn't unlock the doors with my clicker an my keys where locked in the truck, so if anyone has any info on this please let me know asap so I can talk to the mechanic this in the next 3 days while I'm off work an thank you in advance

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45