A/C problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlBlue04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having problems with my 04 dodge ram 1500. The a/c seems to be going out not sure exactly what I need to replace. A/C blows cold if Im crusing but when I stop and it idles blows hot. Rpms jump not crazy but like 100-200 rpms anybody else have this problem?

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the condenser fan running when it stops blowing cold?

Also, what's the AC compressor clutch doing when it does this? Is it cycling rapidly or staying on? A reading of the head pressure during this event would help if you have access to a set of manifold gauges or know someone who does.

If the condenser fan is not running when it's stopped, there's your problem. No heat transfer in the condenser means no cold air. If it is running, and the compressor is short cycling, it could be under charged.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Condenser fan is not working. The compressor is causing more drag on the motor when the head pressure gets high causing the rpm fluctuation. If the Freon level was low then it wouldn't get very cold even when you were moving.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not true. Severely under charged, then yes. But being a few ounces low can cause all sorts of problems. In dodges it can also cause it to be cooler on one side than on the other, due to how the evaporator case is designed.

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had this problem in a Dakota. Had to add some freon. Worked great after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homebrew_Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not true. Severely under charged, then yes. But being a few ounces low can cause all sorts of problems. In dodges it can also cause it to be cooler on one side than on the other, due to how the evaporator case is designed.

This is interesting. I have an '06 Power Wagon that blows nice and cold on the driver's side but not so much on the passenger side. Didn't realize it until my wife was riding with me the other day and complained about the A/C not working.