A/c recharge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notrashcougar91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to recharge my a/c at home. I've bought leak stop as well as refrigerant, which should I put in first?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The leak stop should have instructions on the can as to how/when to add it.

-K

OP
OP
N

Notrashcougar91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The instructions are the same as on the refrigerant. That's why I'm confused.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The instructions are the same as on the refrigerant. That's why I'm confused.

Is the can just stop-leak or is it a refrigerant with stop leak? If so, I'd do it first so you get all the stop-leak, then top off with the plain refrigerant.

-K

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Don't use stop leak at all unless you want to replace the entire ac system. That crap is the bane of any ac tech's existence. If you have a leak, fix the leak. Furthermore, the ac system will work much better if you have it properly serviced by a professional. Simply adding refrigerant to a system that has an unknown amount of refrigerant, oil, air, water, etc in it is not a good idea.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^^ this
leak stop doesn't know the difference between a leak, the metering orifice, or coil passages within the system.

marininn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v
2nd on never using stop leak. Never use stop leak. Don't add oil unless you know oil has leaked out. The oil will take up volume and displace the space the coolant wants to take up.
Reletively safe to add coolant if it is not cooling and the gauges suggest it is low on coolant, but if there is blockage or some other reason it is not cooling, and it has the right amt of coolant then adding some will over-fill it with coolant and can cause damage, or at least still not cooling.