A few towing questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I've been reading some threads - very helpful and much appreciated....

I just purchased a new 2017 Ram 1500: quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70 trans, 3.92 AR.

From the charts it looks like I can tow "up to" 10,150 lbs. - which I have no desire nor plans to get anywhere close to that.

What I do have to tow, and one of the primary reasons I purchased the truck, is a 20 foot single axle camper with a dry weight of 2,769 lbs.: http://forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=510&Image=24737&ShowParent=1&ModelID=3670#Main

I towed this camper last year a couple of times about 15 miles, with a 2005 Chevy TBZ which was rated to tow up to 5,100 lbs - seemed fine for the short, relatively level distances.

I also have a WDH: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17330

I purchased the truck so that we could venture out a bit more, maybe a 100 or 2 or 3 miles from home...

So here are my questions:

1) With the 7 pin harness, that will activate my trailer brakes when I use my truck brakes, right? And what would be the advantage of hooking up a TBC...?

2) Will I even need use the WDH? If so, should I get a sway control device? I don't see any ATSC on my build sheet so I assume I don't have it...?

I am pretty new to towing - I towed my small utility trailer around a bit, that's about all, so I want to cover all the bases... I don't want to seem like I'm doing overkill, but rather safe than sorry... I want to be confident and comfortable when I go on a longer road trip.

Thanks in advance for any advice... and P.S.: I LOVE MY RAM! :)

-Tim

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the factory brake controller?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Most states don't require trailer brakes for trailers under 3000 lbs. A wdh wont be needed because your tongue weight will be extremely light. Be real careful with loading the trailer. The single axle campers are subject to a lot of sway. More weight to the front of the trailer will help.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) You will need a TBC for the brakes to work on the camper, but yes, the 7 pin harness is already wired to work.

2) You won't really need a WDH for a camper that light, but a hitch with sway control would be nice to have.

3) Don't go by the 'charts'...go by the sticker on the door that tells you what your specific truck can tow and carry as cargo. The charts are generic, and do not account for the specific options you may or may not have. For instance, the charts say I can tow over 10k, but the sticker says 9,600.

4) More weight to the front of the trailer will help with sway, but it also hurts with tongue weight and cargo, so keep that in mind as well.

5) Mine doesn't say I have sway control either, but I do have the towing package, which I thought included it, but I've never tried to see if I have it or not....may have to look now. Never had an issue with my camper and sway.

EDIT : OK...just found it in my manual...it isn't a separate option......and I have all the other things listed below......so since I have a Laramie and the EVIC, I'd bet my truck has it as well............but the manual also says 'if equipped' later on, so I don't know what to tell ya.

cut & paste from manual:

ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM
Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic brake control system that includes Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist System (BAS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Trailer Sway Control (TSC). All of the systems work together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as ESC.

Last edited:

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
Your truck will pull that tiny thing no problem. If you want to be crazy and your really concerned, get a pro pride hitch. That thing will never sway with it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
1) You will need a TBC for the brakes to work on the camper, but yes, the 7 pin harness is already wired to work.

2) You won't really need a WDH for a camper that light, but a hitch with sway control would be nice to have.

3) Don't go by the 'charts'...go by the sticker on the door that tells you what your specific truck can tow and carry as cargo. The charts are generic, and do not account for the specific options you may or may not have. For instance, the charts say I can tow over 10k, but the sticker says 9,600.

4) More weight to the front of the trailer will help with sway, but it also hurts with tongue weight and cargo, so keep that in mind as well.

5) Mine doesn't say I have sway control either, but I do have the towing package, which I thought included it, but I've never tried to see if I have it or not....may have to look now. Never had an issue with my camper and sway.

EDIT : OK...just found it in my manual...it isn't a separate option......and I have all the other things listed below......so since I have a Laramie and the EVIC, I'd bet my truck has it as well............but the manual also says 'if equipped' later on, so I don't know what to tell ya.

cut & paste from manual:

ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM
Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic brake control system that includes Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist System (BAS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Trailer Sway Control (TSC). All of the systems work together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as ESC.

No door sticker has trailer tow capacity on it, that has bad information. You’re probably seeing GVWR, or gross vehicle weight rating, which is not the same thing.

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No door sticker has trailer tow capacity on it, that has bad information. You’re probably seeing GVWR, or gross vehicle weight rating, which is not the same thing.
That's what I thought too...
TireSticker.jpg

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So this was one of my questions. My 7 pin connector will activate my trailer brakes...? (Trailer does have brakes on it). And, what is the advantage of adding a TBC?

Even if I "don't necessarily need" a TBC, I may hook one up down the road for peace of mind if it turns out to be a worthy benefit...

Thanks.

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Speaking of door tire stickers, my truck has 20s on it, and the spare is a 17...!?? Gee, I hope I don't get a flat because, while I'm no expert, I don't think a 17 would ride well with 3 20s...? Or, am I missing something? Thanks.

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Interesting TR. I know I have ABS and traction control, but not sure of the others... hmmm. How would I find out I wonder, without physically locating the systems?

I "thought", when I was researching my specific truck, it maybe said on the dealer's web page, it had sway control and/or HD transmission cooler...? But I can't be sure as I was looking at different trucks.

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck will pull that tiny thing no problem. If you want to be crazy and your really concerned, get a pro pride hitch. That thing will never sway with it

Yeah KSH, I figured my truck will handle it OK. It's just I already have the WDH I purchased before the truck and I was thinking if I had to add a couple of things that were relatively cheap, such as a TBC and sway control for my hitch in case of "extreme, unexpected" conditions, it might be worth the peace-of-mind. Just fishing for some feedback... thanks for the confidence statement...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Just my. 02.....

What is your campers GVWR? Don't go off of dry weight, it'll never be that light. I bet your gvwr is north of 3000 so I'd strongly recommend a trailer brake control such as the prodigy P3, which I used before I got my ram.

I'd also use the wdh and away control. It can't hurt and do watch your tongue weight, make sure you have enough on the tongue as was mentioned by another poster.

Don't get a timer based brake control, they suck. I know from experience. The prodigy is proportional and works great. Good luck

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my. 02.....

What is your campers GVWR? Don't go off of dry weight, it'll never be that light. I bet your gvwr is north of 3000...

Good info Gs, thanks.

My GVWR is somewhere between 3885 (mfr product site) and 4001 lbs (sticker).
CamperSticker2.jpg

I'll likely use the WDH (why not?) and grab a sway control bar for it (relatively cheap add-on). About the TBC... I read somewhere that for the Mopar or OEM one, I need to get it "flashed" from a dealer... I watched the installation video for the prodigy P2; installation looks pretty simple but the video did not mention having to take it to dealer for "flashing" afterward. Would I need to do this? Thanks again...

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's what I thought too...
View attachment 117995
that's the tire sticker, not really the one i was referencing. the one i'm talking about has the vin number on it as well. it shows the trucks GVWR, which is the maximum the truck is legally allowed to carry as a payload plus the curb weight of the truck and a 150 lb driver. it has nothing to do with towing, and everything to do with how much it can carry.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So this was one of my questions. My 7 pin connector will activate my trailer brakes...? (Trailer does have brakes on it). And, what is the advantage of adding a TBC?

Even if I "don't necessarily need" a TBC, I may hook one up down the road for peace of mind if it turns out to be a worthy benefit...

Thanks.
No the trailer brakes will not be activated unless you add a trailer brake controller. What he was referring to was you are already wired for the TBC because you have the 7 pin connector. You just need to plug in a TBC to make it work.

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's the tire sticker, not really the one i was referencing. the one i'm talking about has the vin number on it as well. it shows the trucks GVWR, which is the maximum the truck is legally allowed to carry as a payload plus the curb weight of the truck and a 150 lb driver. it has nothing to do with towing, and everything to do with how much it can carry.
Gotya... GVWR = 6900.

I was merely pointing out the stickers did not show the tow capacity...

OP
OP
tbaker65

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No the trailer brakes will not be activated unless you add a trailer brake controller. What he was referring to was you are already wired for the TBC because you have the 7 pin connector. You just need to plug in a TBC to make it work.

OHHHHH... EXCELLENT INFO. Now THAT was exactly the info I was looking for, as I was trying to articulate in my OP and which I guess was answered already if I had known what I was reading right - you clarified it! Thanks.

See, I wasn't sure if the 7 pin had an "internal" connection that activated the trailer brakes when I pushed my brake pedal, and the add-on TBC was additionally helpful because you could initiate the trailer brakes without the truck brakes...

This makes it a no-brainer for me... add-on TBC is a done deal. Thanks again...