Adding coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok guys- dumb question.

I noticed my coolant level has dropped below minimum so I need to top it off. Is this a closed, pressurized system? Is it as simple as cracking open the resevoir and topping off?

I have to admit- I already opened that resevoir and heard a hiss so now I am curious if there is a trick to it (since there seems to be for everything else on these new trucks :/)

Thanks!

*edit* is this a hot or cold reading on that resevoir?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That's a degas bottle and it's just like a pressurized system but there is no overflow bottle. There should be nothing special on topping it off. Usually the markings are for the level when cold.
Keep tabs on how much you add and if you keep losing coolant, you may have a leak.
If your coolant is purple, it's OAT coolant, either buy the 50/50 pre-mix from the dealer or if you buy the full strength, only use distilled water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks! Open cap, add coolant- easy. Got a 50/50 jug from dealer already of the OAT coolant.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just filled mine after a round trip, 15 hour drive in each direction towing my TT. My coolant was just above low. I open the cap and a sucking sound lets out and the coolant gets sucked into the engine and I'm a good centimeter below low. so I topped off with distilled water, hasn't moved since.

Very odd behavior.