Adding cooled seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol. Fair enough. Can't wait to see your write up on this journey of a mod. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK I finally made a little progress today. I was able to get the passenger side seat wired to the drivers side seat. If I have read the schematics correctly there are only 5 wires needed. Pins 1 through 5 in the yellow passenger seat plug. These wires will con ect to the grey 20 pin plug in the drivers seat. I have also wired my inverter so there are 5 wires in the plug for that as well. I was able to use the factory style connector and pins for the passenger side seat. I got the part numbers for the Grey plug and sockets from RT but they are out of stock. I have noticed one of the biggest problems is trying to find the factory style connectors for a cleaner look. Cutting the factory plug to do the wiring will be a last resort. I am going to call and make the apt for the relay Monday. Once the relay is installed the last steps are to install the heated wheel and clockspring and run the two wires for that and then the two CAN wires and hope for the best. If it works I will give more detailed instructions on exact wires and placement.

Fingers crossed!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok Ive gone thru this post and I have a question on my 2014 2500. I want to add heated seats only, I have the 8.4 screen already. I found the heating element on eBay and was wondering what other parts Id need? My truck is a Big Horn and appears to have the harness ready. Ive emailed Steve White Motors who has the elements listed and they are great to deal with previously so I asked them as well. This seems like the easiest way for my situation since I dont have desire for leather or cooled.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck should have the correct wiring to add the heated seats. All of the modules to operate the heated seats are mounted under the drivers side seat as long as its a heated seat and both driver and passenger side seats have different harnesses that attatch to your truck. Best bet would be to purchase heated seats out if a 13 or newer bighorn make sure they both have the seat harnesses still attached and install them in your truck. This. This way you would have all the modules and heating elements already installed in the seats. You can pick them up on Car-Part.com pretty cheap used out of wrecked vehicles. You will also need to get the heated seats and wheel switch panel. Obviously the heated wheel would not work unless you installed the correct steering wheel and clockspring but Ram doesn't make a heated seat only switch panel. You can also most likely have the codes added by the dealer to have your controls also come up on your 8.4 screen. You can also go aftermarket if you chose and just install the heating elements yourself and install aftermarket switches. It's just a matter of preference.

Last edited:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ive been searching on car-part, I guess some of these salvage yards dont realize the seats are interchangeable between models! Makes it frustrating

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok Ive gone thru this post and I have a question on my 2014 2500. I want to add heated seats only, I have the 8.4 screen already. I found the heating element on eBay and was wondering what other parts Id need? My truck is a Big Horn and appears to have the harness ready. Ive emailed Steve White Motors who has the elements listed and they are great to deal with previously so I asked them as well. This seems like the easiest way for my situation since I dont have desire for leather or cooled.

You can't add just the elements, unfortunately. You also need a couple of harnesses for each seat and the HSWM (heated seat and wheel module). When I priced out the components to add them to my seats it was around $700 from the discount online dealers. So, I ended up buying a set of heated cloth seats from a wrecked Big Horn instead.

Now that I know I can make everything work, I'm trying to replace them with heated and cooled leather.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can't add just the elements, unfortunately. You also need a couple of harnesses for each seat and the HSWM (heated seat and wheel module). When I priced out the components to add them to my seats it was around $700 from the discount online dealers. So, I ended up buying a set of heated cloth seats from a wrecked Big Horn instead.

Now that I know I can make everything work, I'm trying to replace them with heated and cooled leather.

That's really not that bad to be honest. Searching for cloth big horn heated seats seems it'll cost me about that much for used seats that'll probably be dirtier than my ones with 18k miles on em. $700 to add everything isn't bad. Obviously having heated cooled leather would be nice but paying $1500+ isn't for me.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's really not that bad to be honest. Searching for cloth big horn heated seats seems it'll cost me about that much for used seats that'll probably be dirtier than my ones with 18k miles on em. $700 to add everything isn't bad. Obviously having heated cooled leather would be nice but paying $1500+ isn't for me.

What part of the country are you in? As soon as I find a decent set of leather front buckets my cloth ones will be up for sale. They're from a 2015 Big Horn, Diesel Gray, and great condition. I don't know when that'll be, but it's something to keep in mind if you're not in a huge hurry.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What part of the country are you in? As soon as I find a decent set of leather front buckets my cloth ones will be up for sale. They're from a 2015 Big Horn, Diesel Gray, and great condition. I don't know when that'll be, but it's something to keep in mind if you're not in a huge hurry.

Im not in a huge hurry at all. 1500s will swap into 2500s correct? They are listed as separate part numbers. As long as they're heated Im in.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone happen to know the part number for the heated/cool seat module (buttons) in the center bezel below the radio?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone happen to know the part number for the heated/cool seat module (buttons) in the center bezel below the radio?

What other options?

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What other options?

Assuming you can just by the bottom button module then heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel. If it's connected to the top row of buttons I'd have to go look for sure. I know I'd need Park assist, exhaust brake, and ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both rows are together. You would need all of your options. Best way to be sure is find a truck with all of your options and the heated and cooled seats and get the last 8 of the vin.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Both rows are together. You would need all of your options. Best way to be sure is find a truck with all of your options and the heated and cooled seats and get the last 8 of the vin.

Where can I find that panel? Being that I have a 2500 it has the integrated trailer brake, tow/haul etc...

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The trailer brake switch pops out. All the other buttons are fixed. Dealer would be your best bet.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Like Dodgetk81 said, the trailer brake switch is separate. Everything else is combined. All the trucks have the ESP and Tow/Haul switches. So, the options that matter are:

-Height Adjustable Suspension
-Cooled/Ventilated seats
-Heated seats/wheel
-Exhaust brake
-ParkSense (front and rear or front only)

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Perfect I tried replying to you but your inbox was full. I received a message response to an eBay add that had our seats heated and he accepted my offer! So I have clean cloth heated seats en route tmrw!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Perfect I tried replying to you but your inbox was full. I received a message response to an eBay add that had our seats heated and he accepted my offer! So I have clean cloth heated seats en route tmrw!

Yeah, I saw that I reached my quota and cleared it out.

Are the seats complete with the module and harnesses underneath?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup, everything. $500 shipped for the pair which isn't bad considering they are clean and coming from Ohio

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I made some more progress today and got the Heated Wheel installed PN 5NH65DX9AA. You can pick them up for around 75.00 now new. Also installed the new Heated Wheel clockspring PN 56046864AC these cost around 240.00 new but I was fortunate and was able to purchase a used one from 00/RT for a great price and it works perfect so thanks again to him for all the help. I also installed the heated wheel steering wheel harness PN 68163716AC. They Cost around 25.00 to 30.00. The install was pretty strait forward. The blinker stalk just unlatches from one clockspring to the other. Make sure you take your time and don't crimp any wires. Also be careful not to strip the plastic screw holes putting it back together. From what I have read all the trucks should have the harness for the heated wheel clockdpring. It is the blue plug in the pictures. The heated wheel will have two plugs. The white one attaches to the black wire with the white plug coming from the clockspring and the other wire has a black plug that attaches to a black plug in the new steering wheel harness. I am still waiting on the rest of the pins and plugs from Nexus. I had to finally purchase a quantity much higher than I needed to get them sent. If the this actually works I will be happy to provide other members wanting to to the upgrade whatever I have left over for exactly what I have in them. I am hoping to have the rest of the parts by the beginning of next week. As soon as they show up I am going to try to get this finished up.

Attachments

• 20170101_123708.jpg
    20170101_123708.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170101_120209.jpg
    20170101_120209.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170101_135100.jpg
    20170101_135100.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170101_143949.jpg
    20170101_143949.jpg