Advice on Long-Distance towing with D-150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhhipster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Hi there!

My friend has recently given me his 1986 D150 with a 5.2 L V8 engine. He has taken good care of it.

I am looking to tow a travel trailer long distance. The weight of the trailer (equipped with trailer brakes) and passengers and everything will likely be ~4500 LBS. There is no sticker I can find on the vehicle, and I've seen conflicting anecdotes and advice about what people have towed with this vehicle type before.

So, is 4,500 LBS too heavy a load for this truck? If so, what would you recommend as a maximum safe towing weight? I am planning on installing a transmission cooler and electric brake controller.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think 4500lbs would be about the max legal tow weight just because of how light these trucks usually are. my truck only weights 4100lbs with me in it. usually the rule of thumb is that the haul vehicle is suppose to weigh 10% more than what your hauling.