AEV Switch Pod installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
where did you tie into the ignition or dash lights so it was only available with the truck on, rather than constant power, or did you change that and go direct to battery?

I understand this is unique to your needs, but as you know when people find gold nuggets like this, they like to copy. that's what I plan to do, anyway! :)

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can just run a fusetap to the fusebox and connect to F93 cigar lighter for the power to the switch/trigger wires, it’s hardly any load. I wired mine hot without the ignition but that’s your choice

I don’t like tapping to anything under the dash, I like to connect under the hood, makes any troubleshooting much easier

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
You can just run a fusetap to the fusebox and connect to F93 cigar lighter for the power to the switch/trigger wires, it’s hardly any load. I wired mine hot without the ignition but that’s your choice

I don’t like tapping to anything under the dash, I like to connect under the hood, makes any troubleshooting much easier

so your accessories are available with the truck off. Makes sense to me. did I see that you also put quick disconnects at the back of the individual switches, or did I make that up?

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so your accessories are available with the truck off. Makes sense to me. did I see that you also put quick disconnects at the back of the individual switches, or did I make that up?

I bought those connectors from OTRTTW when I bought my switches, they are only like $1ea plus they sell the pins

Here’s the box I used

https://m.littelfuse.com/products/d...modules/hard-wired-pdm/hwb60/pdm21001lxm.aspx

You can buy it with all the connections etc. I did notbuy mine from this person this is just a quick example

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hwb60-Waterp...8%26rvr_ts%3D0b5974bc1690a9cd63d7d36affe80271

3067EDAC-74D6-435B-A286-32C6445E2467.png

33D1A3C2-921D-4C16-89CB-8F0B394C1929.jpeg

A319A7A6-05F3-426B-BB7D-C8FA92BFBE54.png

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
sure.... NOW you post the parts list! I'll have to put in a second order. I was too impulsive and incomplete with my first one. Maybe once I'm done I'll put all the parts into a spreadsheet for the masses

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the switch itself depends on the led colors you want, then the rocker itself depends on the text you want. Those connectors and pins are as needed, you really don’t need them and can use individual crimp fittings, I just wanted something professional looking and easy to work on in the future.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I will say it adds to the cost of the project for sure, but mods aren't usually cheap anyway. And you have a reputation for doing things properly.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Lol....sorry I don’t have more pics, I never intended this to be a “how too” since it’s so custom to my setup.

Here’s a schematic of just the power distribution box with wire size and cut lengths, sorry about the pic quality I just printed it and took the pic from my desk at work

View attachment 156140

What software do you use for your wiring diagrams?

-K

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s a 2D package we use from 3D Creo but we have also been using Solidworks 2018 for awhile. My last job was all Autocad and Inventor

1pieceatatime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
This thread has inspired me to tackle an accessory wiring project myself. First time I've tried this sort of thing - electrons mystify me - so thank you JB1 for all your suggestions in this thread.

Gameplan is:
- Painless Trail Rocker for distribution (will be switched w/ ignition) - I haven't worked up the confidence to tackle the fuses and relays myself
- Contura Switches - still on fence about exactly which style, upper vs. lower independent for looks
- AEV Switch Pod controlling the following 6:
1) Contura Switches (still on fence about style and upper vs. lower independent for looks)
2) KC Gravity Pro 6 light bar for driving lights
3) Backup Lights
4) On-Board Air
5) Locker Logic Bypass (hello high-speed locked rear for sliding in the dirt!)
6) Nanny Kill Switch

Pretty pumped to start ordering hardware this weekend. I'm considering putting the compressor in my driver's side Rambox - if I do that, I may also locate the switch there so I can keep 1 switch in the AEV pod open for a future project (Painless will control 8 accessories vs. the 6 positions in the AEV pod).

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
This thread has inspired me to tackle an accessory wiring project myself. First time I've tried this sort of thing - electrons mystify me - so thank you JB1 for all your suggestions in this thread.

Gameplan is:
- Painless Trail Rocker for distribution (will be switched w/ ignition) - I haven't worked up the confidence to tackle the fuses and relays myself
- Contura Switches - still on fence about exactly which style, upper vs. lower independent for looks
1) Contura Switches (still on fence about style and upper vs. lower independent for looks)
3) Backup Lights
4) On-Board Air
6) Nanny Kill Switch

Pretty pumped to start ordering hardware this weekend. I'm considering putting the compressor in my driver's side Rambox - if I do that, I may also locate the switch there so I can keep 1 switch in the AEV pod open for a future project (Painless will control 8 accessories vs. the 6 positions in the AEV pod).

The difference is how it mounts to the dash, and which is an almost factory look :) IMO anyway

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
for me, the AEV fits like it was factory made, while the trail rocker is more of an aftermarket add-on. It's not the switch style itself as it's the holder that needs more style.

1pieceatatime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Ah, I get it.

I am going to use the AEV switch pod. I am also going to use the Trail Rocker - but not the switch panel. They sell a universal pre-wired fuse/relay distribution box (P/N 57100) that allows you to use whatever switches and switch panel you want.

I'll get the best of both worlds - AEV looks and an easier, pre-wired distribution setup.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi

Gameplan is:
3) Backup Lights
4) On-Board Air
6) Nanny Kill Switch

Where do you have your pro6 mounted? I'm in the process of installing mine :)

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Ah, I get it.

I am going to use the AEV switch pod. I am also going to use the Trail Rocker - but not the switch panel. They sell a universal pre-wired fuse/relay distribution box (P/N 57100) that allows you to use whatever switches and switch panel you want.

I'll get the best of both worlds - AEV looks and an easier, pre-wired distribution setup.
I might have to look that up. I bought the rough country knock off of spod to try to hook to the factory switches but so far I've been told it wont work :/ gotta do some more research and see what I can do. Hopefully I can figure it out

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
@JB1, from the wiring diagram, it appears the fuses are all 15a. Are all your relays the same too? did you source them independent of the accessory?

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they are all 15A and yes my box uses all mini relays