Aftermarket parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
I have a knocking sound from my front end which I hope to address by installing new upper/lower control arms. I have to buy dodge or whatever is sold by rock auto, who should I go with? I'm thinking raybestos at the moment, I bought moog sway bar links and one side is already wearing after 6months so not impressed with moog gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's odd.. moog is generally best imo.. where's the noise coming from?

OP
OP
F

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
Drivers side under the floor pan. 2 garages have inspected the truck and told me it's the links. I sometimes get a knock when driving out of full lock which could be a ball joint right?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not my area of expertise hopefully some wise guru will chime in

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sway bar links. Sounds more like a popping sound right at the tire, right? I had the exact same problem, and you're not going to find any that won't start giving problems unless you buy OEM. I've bought three different brands, and had the same problem out of all of them. Then decided to get OEM, and haven't had even a squeak. Our links are the most terrible design anyone could have come up with.

Never have I ever seen a lower control arm have to be replaced for anything other than a wreck, or damage from off roading. Regular driving is not going to wear them out for the life of the vehicle. You'd be wasting your money buying new ones. Not to mention they're a ***** to replace. Replacing the uppers will help a lot with handling. Depending on how many miles you have on the truck. Don't forget to have it aligned after replacing them.

Moog has really gone down hill in the last 10 years. They really aren't any better than the next brand anymore. The only other brand I would consider beside OEM would be Pro Forged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
I only thought about changing the lower arm because I was planning on changing the ball joint and then while it's in bits the bushes. I can save some postage and just buy the ball joint and bushes incase they need changing out instead of just swapping the whole arm out. My truck only has about 60k miles on it so just trying to sort the knocking and slight steering wobble in one shot. Thanks for the advice on oem.

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
60K ? Your ball joints should be fine in that case. Unless you've been purposely hitting potholes, and driving over rumble strips. I wouldn't bother. I highly doubt the balls are bad. I abuse the **** out of my truck, and the balls were just replaced @ 100K. They have 12K on them now.

Is your truck 4WD, or 2WD? Mine is 4WD, which is way harder on the balls, and bushings.

The bushings in the lower should never need replacing.

Last edited:

mcraezy87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My lower, and upper control arm bushings show signs of fatigue and distortion. And my ball joints are toast. I was gonna knock out two birds with one stone and buy a lowering kit with Lower control arms. Mine has 115k but those items have been worn for sometime. Just fyi. Those bushings can wear.

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My lower, and upper control arm bushings show signs of fatigue and distortion. And my ball joints are toast. I was gonna knock out two birds with one stone and buy a lowering kit with Lower control arms. Mine has 115k but those items have been worn for sometime. Just fyi. Those bushings can wear.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't say they couldn't wear out. I said they shouldn't.

OP
OP
F

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
I'm not the original owner so I don't know much about its past, I've had it since 47k. All I know is I have a knock on rough paved roads and a slightly different sounding knock occasionally when coming off lock. I also have a slight wobble above 60mph despite having the wheels balanced a couple of times and rotated.

I can't just go to an auto shop and buy what I need on the day, so for the cost of a bush and ball it's better to buy now just incase it's needed when everything is stripped down.

If it turns out it's not then at least I know the new parts should be good for another 60k+ miles.

I've had these noises for about 6 months or more now.