Aftermarket stereo install (no power)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kinte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 1500 crew cab with the infinity sound system. When i purchased the truck it already had an aftermarket Panasonic CQ-C8100U head unit, 2 rockford fosgate amps a 10 in sub and an external sirius xm usit. I went to change the head unit out today by splicing the harness from the new head unit, a kenwood. I get no power to the head unit. There is an additional wire, its green with either a yellow or white strip going to another random wire coming out of the dash. I check the fuses, they were all fine, i rewired the old head unit and still now power. My key fob also will not lock or unlock the doors nor will the lock button on the driver side door. The manual for the panasonic head unit does not have a wiring diagram. Help please.

TheTexasBandit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wire in constant (yellow) and memory (red) wire together, or run a separate fused wire from the battery to the memory wire. For some reason Dodge did something internally with there radios to where they only need one power wire to go to the constant and memory wire. I have an 08' and I had the same issue when I replaced my factory stereo to a pioneer stereo. The only thing is, if you wire up both your constant and memory wire together you have to manually turn on and off the stereo.

OP
OP
K

kinte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rechecked the fuses, I completely missed one, and that was the one blown. Everything is all good now.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
You can use the constant hot at the radio and run a accessory from say ignition switch. Dodges use bus signals to command the radios on

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wire in constant (yellow) and memory (red) wire together, or run a separate fused wire from the battery to the memory wire. For some reason Dodge did something internally with there radios to where they only need one power wire to go to the constant and memory wire. I have an 08' and I had the same issue when I replaced my factory stereo to a pioneer stereo. The only thing is, if you wire up both your constant and memory wire together you have to manually turn on and off the stereo.
The yellow wire is the memory wire and the power wire. The red wire is simply a “trigger” that tells the radio to turn on and off. The red isn’t memory as it loses all voltage when you turn your key off. The memory is provided by the yellow “constant” wire. This is also the power supply for the radio when it is on. This is why the yellow wire is usually much thicker than the red wire.

Also, your 08 uses a can bus network to turn the radio on and off. So you have a regular “constant” which would be the yellow, but the truck sends a signal over the data network to tell the radio to turn on and off. In this case you would need one of the fancy harnesses that interfaces with the data network to provide a normal 12v switched output to turn on your aftermarket radio with the red wire, or you would need to run the red wire to your own switched 12v source. If you decide to do this you can usually grab switched power from one of the cig lighter sockets right under the radio.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use the constant hot at the radio and run a accessory from say ignition switch. Dodges use bus signals to command the radios on
The 04 trucks don’t do this. He has everything he needs in his factory harness.