Air Bag Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, so right now I have bilsteins at 2.8, with 35x12.50's on the stock 20 inch rim. I'm thinking about getting airbags for the back as I do tow a 14 foot dump trailer often. A few question I have is:

Do the airbags completely replace the coils in the back? I don't have leaf springs.

With no trailer, and the airbags "deflated", will my truck have the squatted look to it?

With no trailer, and the airbags completely inflated, will be back be higher than the front? (Thus not being leveled out)

And finally what is a good airbag kit I should take a look at? Trying to keep it below about $400

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Multiple options out there. I’m looking at getting some in coil helper bags myself. They do make full coil replacement air bags as well if you wanted to go that route. But I think in coil bags may be what your looking for. They don’t change the ride height or stiffness when unloaded and aired down and when aired up and loaded help hold the load in the back to keep the truck leveled out. Moes-performance has some nice ones on their site. They’re a good vendor on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Multiple options out there. I’m looking at getting some in coil helper bags myself. They do make full coil replacement air bags as well if you wanted to go that route. But I think in coil bags may be what your looking for. They don’t change the ride height or stiffness when unloaded and aired down and when aired up and loaded help hold the load in the back to keep the truck leveled out. Moes-performance has some nice ones on their site. They’re a good vendor on this forum

I was actually looking at these
2009-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 Ton Pickup 2WD & 4WD - Load Lifter 5000 Air Helper Springs [REAR] [57365] | $291.67 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

I'm actually looking for ones that do change the ride height. The thing around here is "Carolina Squat", and I think it looks good to a certain extent. 2-3 inch difference is okay but going overboard like 6 in the front and -2 in the back isn't for me. So really I'm looking for a kit that will help with the towing, and can also change the rear height to be lower than stock when not towing.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try and message Matt with moes performance as they sell bags for lowered trucks as well and you could cut the coils on the truck for the squat stance and install bags still to keep from more squat. Otherwise full coil replacements I don’t know to much about

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was actually looking at these
2009-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 Ton Pickup 2WD & 4WD - Load Lifter 5000 Air Helper Springs [REAR] [57365] | $291.67 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

I'm actually looking for ones that do change the ride height. The thing around here is "Carolina Squat", and I think it looks good to a certain extent. 2-3 inch difference is okay but going overboard like 6 in the front and -2 in the back isn't for me. So really I'm looking for a kit that will help with the towing, and can also change the rear height to be lower than stock when not towing.

So I did some research on this kit, and I see that it replaces and mounts in the area that the bump stops are in. So now my question is, would it be possible to run this air bag kit without the springs in, so that the rear of the truck is fully adjustable?

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would recommend timber grove airbags. $350 ish and they replace the bumpstops and mount to the axle

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've done a bunch of research and I can't find any kits that do what I'm looking for, and it seems like people on other forums are having a hard time understanding what I'm looking for.
The guy in this video pieced together his own full setup. I'm only looking to do the rear of my truck like how he has his.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5fvfuyaJuY

If anybody has some kind of input on how to do this that'd be great

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Checkout Kelderman. Looks like they have what you’re looking for. Not sure if their kit provides any lift or if it’s for stock ride height, but one of the bullet points in the product description is “products custom built to order” so maybe they could customize it to what you want.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If you wamt a good set of air bags you want Timber Grove air bags.
Quality is top knotch and the fit is great and they are easy to install .

Run 5psi and get no lift or run 15 to 20psi and get 1 to 1 1/2" lift.

Attachments

• 20170707_083023.jpg
    20170707_083023.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170707_113028.jpg
    20170707_113028.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you wamt a good set of air bags you want Timber Grove air bags.
Quality is top knotch and the fit is great and they are easy to install .

Run 5psi and get no lift or run 15 to 20psi and get 1 to 1 1/2" lift.
Do those bags replace the coils or work along with them? I'm looking for bags that replace the coils. Those look great though!

Edit: From the pictures I see that they work along with the coils
Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If you want to replace the coils with bags it will cost, I only know of one that does that and that Kelderman that was posted above.

I like these because if the bags ever fail my truck wont be down , my rear springs are TTC-1211S which are 50% strong than stock.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like these because if the bags ever fail my truck wont be down , my rear springs are TTC-1211S which are 50% strong than stock.

How are the variable rate springs for daily driving and load carrying without the air bags to assist?

I use my truck as a daily driver, but occasionally, I go off-road and carry furry critters (like elk weighing 400+ lbs) that end up in the bed. Or, I tow a travel trailer in the summer. I have been debating between getting the 1211S springs, the 1223's or Timber Grove air bags...OR just the Air Lift 1000 bags.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The 1211s are not variable rated , I think the ride on them is just fine rougher than before but still fine.

If you get airbags I would just get the timbergrove bags myself.