Air bags and pump questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm seriously looking at adding bags and have a couple questions. First, where do people install the pumps? I understand that they're not recommended in the engine compartment. I was considering squeezing up between the inner and outer bed panels in front of the rear tire. Second question: I already have TT-1223v springs, has anybody ever tried the Airlift 1000 series bags in a non-oem spring? Any reason it wouldn't work? I have a 1" spacer above the springs too. Would that affect the install? Ultimately I would like to go for nicer bags, but thought I might give the cheap ones a try.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm seriously looking at adding bags and have a couple questions. First, where do people install the pumps? I understand that they're not recommended in the engine compartment. I was considering squeezing up between the inner and outer bed panels in front of the rear tire. Second question: I already have TT-1223v springs, has anybody ever tried the Airlift 1000 series bags in a non-oem spring? Any reason it wouldn't work? I have a 1" spacer above the springs too. Would that affect the install? Ultimately I would like to go for nicer bags, but thought I might give the cheap ones a try.

You can't run the Airlift bags with a spacer, the airline connects on top of the bag and would be blocked by the spacer.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Those springs are probably longer then stock to ?

I would look at some Timber Grove air bags, I dont have a onboard compressor so I cant help there.
I just have one of those cheap little compressors that you plug in.

Reactions: SyN

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
99% of compressors need to be "out of the elements" as in no where's we're water or mud or anything can get directly onto them full time. As long as they are tucked away somewhere it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure it has proper air flow so it doesn't burn up. They do get pretty hot.

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those springs are probably longer then stock to ?

I would look at some Timber Grove air bags, I dont have a onboard compressor so I cant help there.
I just have one of those cheap little compressors that you plug in.
They're actually a little shorter, hence the spacer. In retrospect, the regular 1223 or 1211 would have been better for my application.

Those Timber Grove's are at the top of my list now. How is your experience with a portable compressor?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It works fine Its just a cheap little one from walmart I bought years ago and keep under the seat.
I did have to buy a longer cord to reach the back of the truck though.
One thing is the bags dont have alot of volume so they air up pretty fast.

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the infloor storage bins in the back seat that may work! I saw a guy who did that on the forum I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I would have realized that quad cabs didn't have that feature, I would have gotten a crew cab. :)

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn’t know that! That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Cutbirth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
2017 2500 diesel, like to get air bag system, what do you suggest. Manual operation. No compressor

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My AirLift compressor is installed on the engine side of the rear driver side wheel well under the bed.
There is a kind of vertical sheet and there the compressor box is screwed on.
Chris