Airlift airbags up the tow rating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matzram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2007 QC LB 4x4 tow rating is 8300 max. I’m looking at campers with bunk beds and most are almost 6k or over. So whats everyone’s thoughts on the subject if I’m adding airlift air bags for towing help? Thanks in advance.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adding air bags will not 'up the tow rating'. At most it will make your otherwise legal weight easier to handle. The problem I have had with half ton trucks is the gvwr and cargo carrying capacity. Your 1500 will have a ccc of about 1400lbs. Your 6k lb trailer will have a tongue weight as high as 15% (900 lbs). That leaves 500 lbs for you, your family, your toys, etc.

So, to restate, air bags can make you safer. The canNOT up you trucks ratings.

OP
OP
M

Matzram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks...... I think. I didn’t ask the question to reprimanded like a kid. But thank you. Guess I’ll ask other questions some where else.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
apologies, not my intent to belittle, run you down or run you off.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back on track then. I'll put it another way. The limiting factor in your truck/trailer is your trucks ccc (which is the gvw - curb weight, it should be on a white sticker on your drivers door jam. It will state combined passenger and cargo weight should not exceed *** lbs). You stated your trucks max tow rating. Focus on how much weight your trailer puts on your truck and how much stuff you carry. Start off with the tongue weight of the trailer you are considering. You will have to get that from the manufacture/dealer. Add a couple 100 lbs for water, propane, battery and your gear.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you put bags on, make sure you set your WD after you inflate them. Otherwise, eliminating the squat by raising the rear takes tension off the WD bars, rendering them less useful for transferring weight to the front axles.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think Boxofrokx was more lamenting the low capacity of 1/2 ton trucks as opposed to reprimanding anyone. I've seen a lot worse in responses here to say the least.

Anyway, one thing I'm curious about - is the 6K the loaded or dry weight of the trailer?

If you're talking about a 6K dry trailer and plan to travel with a full truck it's going to be tough to make it work. A person can pretty easily eat up 1000# of payload just with what goes in the truck and bed. 4 people in the truck, firewood in the bed + some other stuff.

To answer your original question, air bags are a great tool to allow you to tow at the upper limits of your weight ratings. They can level the truck and help take out some of the bounce between truck and trailer. WDH also helps with this.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
If you are looking at air bags or air springs, look at Timber Grove air spring assist mounts. Easy install and made for the Rams. They won't increase load or tow capacity, but work very well at eliminating the "squat" when hauling or towing.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you put bags on, make sure you set your WD after you inflate them. Otherwise, eliminating the squat by raising the rear takes tension off the WD bars, rendering them less useful for transferring weight to the front axles.

NO...You set up the WDH first and use the air bags to "fine tune" the how the truck handles the load. Using the airbags first increases the load on the rear axle and you don't transfer as much weight to the front.
Even the instructions for trucks with the factory air suspension state to put the truck in "Jack Mode" before you set up a WDH.

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
NO...You set up the WDH first and use the air bags to "fine tune" the how the truck handles the load. Using the airbags first increases the load on the rear axle and you don't transfer as much weight to the front.
Even the instructions for trucks with the factory air suspension state to put the truck in "Jack Mode" before you set up a WDH.

The video is correct (and very informative) about WD vs Airbags, but doesn’t address using them in combination. I have verified with repeated CAT scale weighs, setting up WD first and then changing airbag PSI alters the WD that I worked so hard to get just right. Adding even 5 more PSI changed the height of my rear and shifted weight back to the rear axle. With spring helper bags like the Airlift 1000 especially, they are intended to make the springs stiffer, just like if you changed the coils out for stronger ones. You wouldn’t set up your WD on stock springs, then swap out your springs for stiffer ones and expect to use the same WD setting.

If you wanted to fine tune with this method, you could intentionally use too much WD and weight on front axle, then increase airbag psi a little at a time to take weight off the front axle and get it to where you really want it.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The video is correct (and very informative) about WD vs Airbags, but doesn’t address using them in combination. I have verified with repeated CAT scale weighs, setting up WD first and then changing airbag PSI alters the WD that I worked so hard to get just right. Adding even 5 more PSI changed the height of my rear and shifted weight back to the rear axle. With spring helper bags like the Airlift 1000 especially, they are intended to make the springs stiffer, just like if you changed the coils out for stronger ones. You wouldn’t set up your WD on stock springs, then swap out your springs for stiffer ones and expect to use the same WD setting.

If you wanted to fine tune with this method, you could intentionally use too much WD and weight on front axle, then increase airbag psi a little at a time to take weight off the front axle and get it to where you really want it.

Yep, what he said. That is how it was explained to me by the person who set up my WD.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This question has been asked many times, a few seconds searching would have also gotten your answer without having to ask in another post, or feeling like someone belittled you by answering it 100% correctly.

I didn't see anything that was belittling in the original answer to your post, but I can see where if it was not the answer your wanted or were expecting, it could be seen as such.