Alignment???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the Caster Angle?

Late to the party, but here you go.

Caster is the measured difference in angle between the steering axis tilt, and vertical. Think of it as the angle between this | and this /. Your steering axis is an imaginary line drawn through the pivot points of your front suspension, in our case, the ball joints. If you were to draw a line through the center of the lower ball joint, and continue it through the center of the upper ball joint, that would be your steering axis. The difference in angle between that line and a vertical line drawn upwards from the center of the wheel is your caster angle, and is measured in degrees.

It's called caster because it's what allows your wheels to return to the straight ahead position after a turn, and for them to remain that way unless you steer otherwise, like a caster on a shopping cart. Vehicles that have less caster have less responsive steering that is not going to return the steering wheel to center very quickly. Vehicles with a high caster angle have more responsive, quick returning steering.

Since caster is measured as the difference between the steering axis and vertical, if you do anything to alter the stance or ride height of either end of the truck, you will affect the caster angle. If you could see the imaginary lines when looking from the drivers side of the truck, the angle would look like this |/. Dropping the rear of the truck tilts it further back, increasing caster. Raising the front does the same.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I'm considering dropping mine about 2" front and 1" front for my 22x10s. But wondering if you drop the front and rear equally will you still need an alignment lol

OP
OP
VB712

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm considering dropping mine about 2" front and 1" front for my 22x10s. But wondering if you drop the front and rear equally will you still need an alignment lol

Yes. Any time you mess with the suspension you should get an alignment.