Almost a major dissaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigHorn777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I had to bring my truck into the stealership on Monday to get a new steering gear put in again only 8K on this one... ARGH!!! After they installed the new parts they informed me they could not align the front end with my big tires on as they were afraid they would damage the custom rims, and the only way they could do it was with the factory rims... So I had to leave work go and get the stock rims from work, using a buddies truck to get them to the stealership and then they would do the alignment. Well picked up the truck late that afternoon and they had it all done with the custom wheels back on and the stockers in the bed of the truck. Now comes the good stuff, they wanted to charge me a extra fee to take the tires on and off twice, I told them, you never said anything about the extra fee until NOW???? I was pissed to say the least, so I paid the bill and took the truck home. Noticed a weird noise coming from the front end every once and awhile, sounded like a clunking but didn't do it all the time. Mostly when I hit a larger crack in the road or went up into my driveway.

Thought I would let it go and see how it played out, well I found out what it was today. "Dodged" a bullet for sure here. As I was going to get my son from school this afternoon my front drivers side tire was one lug nut from falling off. It happened all of a sudden, First I heard a loud clunk and then another, then the steering wheel shook back and forth like I was driving through a road coarse with cones lined up. Scarred the living crap out of me and as I was pulling over I looked out my window to listen where the noise was coming from and I see my tire come 6" out from the side of my truck and then slap back in. Scarey thing is I just had gotten off the highway at speeds of 70mph about 3 blocks before this happened. Not to say the numerous other times I was on the highway after picking up my truck.
Long story short, I called the dealership and reamed them a new A$$hole and told them to send someone out to see this immediately and get it fixed. They had someone out with in 15 minutes and upon removing the wheel we found it bent 3 studs and stripped another and wrecked my rim. Worst part is when I walked around the truck to the passenger side I found 3 more lug nuts only finger tight and the backs were, only slightly tighter than that after putting a wrench on them. They never torqued them down, and this was at a Dodge Dealership. I even thought of checking the torque when I got home but said to myself I am sure they checked it (lesson learned). I am so pissed they could have killed me, my family and any other person in the path of my truck if I were on the highway and it would have came off. Needless to say it will be all fixed but, I am with out a truck and probably wont get anything but a apology out of it. :shooter:

Last edited:

corupt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. I have heard of similar things like this happening to others. Consider yourself lucky you and no one else got hurt.

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would demand a full refund for all work done. Then mention your lawyer if they get nasty.

L8r,

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigHorn777

BigHorn777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed, and to make the story longer the person that came to help me from the dealership was the service managers son. He said to me that he can not believe this happened however they have been having trouble with there impact wrenches since they installed a new compressor. To me that is admitting guilt... He was a young kid and probably didn't even realize what he was saying. He was telling me that they always use just a impact to tighten the lug nuts... I said are you crazy, those things are never right???? He said that is how they always do it. What the hell happened to double checking your work or better yet like most tire places do have someone else double check with a torque wrench. I am still steaming mad about this and can not wait to go to the dealer tomorrow to have a good word with them. Life is a precious thing you never know when something will take it, and I quite frankly think I just road that fine line. If this would have happened just 5 minutes sooner I would have been on the highway traveling 70mph, and who the hell knows what would have happened? Guessing the force of traveling at that speed and in a pretty much straight line kept the rim on and prevented it from practically coming off. I am just glad it turned out the way it did instead of a disaster.

As for refund money it was under my extended warranty, but you got me thinking as I had to pay for the deductible... That will definitely be in the conversation tomorrow.

OP
OP
BigHorn777

BigHorn777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess it didn't help that I watched this video only 8 hours before all this happened. Some of you may have already seen this, but if not it is a eye opener for sure. You never know when you time is up and this goes to show it. Hope the link works... My heart goes out to anyone in the vehicle and there families. ***Warning if your squeamish you may not want to watch this. ** No blood, or gruesome pictures just real time crash footage.****

Vidvir - Car accident [NSFL]

jdd 929

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 sport
Engine
sounds about right. jackasses at the stealership suck. glad you and your family are fine. just got my state inspection done and they changed two bulbs. $3 for the bulbs and $21 for labor. after he did it he asked if it was ok. i just looked at him. i had my 5 year old with me so no words were spoken

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My only experience with the Dodge dealership has been ****-ass terrible.
I'm going to a closer National (Lithia) dealer next time. (soon).

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I hope they rectify the situation.

OP
OP
BigHorn777

BigHorn777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the dealership tried to appease me today after stopping in. They had already ordered a new rim and had all the parts necessary to fix the truck AGAIN... They told me as soon as all the parts got in they would send someone over to pick up the truck and stock tires/rims to do alignment again, and they would leave a loaner car for me, however there was another problem here. Upon picking up the the truck he told me the keys were in the ignition and left with my truck. When I went to use the car 2hrs later guess what.. No keys.... So I again called and said I have another issue no keys, you could tell the manager was pretty upset at this point and was disgusted with this whole situation. He then said I will send someone out with the keys right away, I guess there opinion on right away and mine are two different things because he showed up 45 min. later, thing is I am literally only 3 miles from the damn shop.
I stressed my concerns and fustrations again and said fixing the mistakes is not going to be enough here. I think my time and situation is worth more. So the manager said they are going to give me my extended warranty deductible back and then he said oh and when your truck hits empty I am suppose bring it in and they will fill it up for free. I don't know if they realize I only use 93 Oct and it's gonna cost them 106 bucks to fill the beast up. Oh well I'd rather not go back at all, and will never do business their again. Guess I will have to travel some distance to get the truck fixed now. At least it is fixed, starting to doubt if it was done right though. Oh and I double checked the torque on all the lugs this time. Thanks all for the kind words...

Collin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd sue them.

Of course they're going to act nice now, they're hoping they can make you happy and you'll go away.

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At least they seemed to try to fix everything for you. Better than some would do.

L8r,

Kevin

Last edited:

Collin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At least they seemed to try to fix everything for you. Better than some would do.

L8r,

Kevin

No, that's the absolute least they could do to try and cover their asses from what could have been a wrongful death if the tire had come off.

A free tank of gas? Is your life worth that?

OP
OP
BigHorn777

BigHorn777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, that's the absolute least they could do to try and cover their asses from what could have been a wrongful death if the tire had come off.

A free tank of gas? Is your life worth that?

I agree totally, but don't really think I would have a leg to stand on if I did take this to court. If something major would have happened it would be a no brainer but they fixed what they wronged and as much as I'd like to say I want to be a millionaire, I really don't think I'd have any thing to make this stand up in court other than, It could have been much worse. I do have video of me getting out of the truck and finding the nuts loose and pictures of the dealer taking off the wheel and looking at it. But it is what it is a close call. I was and still am pissed off and will never use them again, I mostly posted this to make people aware of something you hear about ever once and awhile... Don't trust anyone with your life, double check the work done to your ride, before you do anything else... I learned the hard way... thank the good Lord I live, my family lives(yes my truck is part of my family) and possibly someone else lives to see another glorious morning.

Collin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree totally, but don't really think I would have a leg to stand on if I did take this to court. If something major would have happened it would be a no brainer but they fixed what they wronged and as much as I'd like to say I want to be a millionaire, I really don't think I'd have any thing to make this stand up in court other than, It could have been much worse. I do have video of me getting out of the truck and finding the nuts loose and pictures of the dealer taking off the wheel and looking at it. But it is what it is a close call. I was and still am pissed off and will never use them again, I mostly posted this to make people aware of something you hear about ever once and awhile... Don't trust anyone with your life, double check the work done to your ride, before you do anything else... I learned the hard way... thank the good Lord I live, my family lives(yes my truck is part of my family) and possibly someone else lives to see another glorious morning.

Even if you can't sue them for any damages, the least you can do is make a report with the attorney general of your state. That stuff is dangerous and you have some sort of obligation to report it to whomever you can.

I had to do that with a local Volvo dealership that tried to sell me a flood car. I almost paid $12k for a truck that was worth nothing and would have given me nothing but trouble, if it even hung together.

I almost killed the salesman I was so mad. People that try to pull one over on you don't deserve any mercy. They can shove their fake sense of caring and crooked smiles up their ass :flipthebird:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigHorn777

BigHorn777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even if you can't sue them for any damages, the least you can do is make a report with the attorney general of your state. That stuff is dangerous and you have some sort of obligation to report it to whomever you can.

I had to do that with a local Volvo dealership that tried to sell me a flood car. I almost paid $12k for a truck that was worth nothing and would have given me nothing but trouble, if it even hung together.

I almost killed the salesman I was so mad. People that try to pull one over on you don't deserve any mercy. They can shove their fake sense of caring and crooked smiles up their ass :flipthebird:

Thanks Collin, I will definitely look into find out who to report this all too. The support, caring and comradery on this forum is awesome. It is nice to see that people still care in this world. Guess they all drive Dodges :hands: