Am I getting a good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Ok so I'm not looking for a good deal, I'm looking for a killer deal, I want the dealer to hate me when I leave his lot, ok maybe not hate me but you get the idea. So here is what I'm looking at right now, I'm dealing with ENCS, which if you don't know is a military overseas car program, they're a real PIMA because they are a "no haggling" facility, but they do have a low price guarantee, just means I gotta do the leg work in finding a good deal somewhere else unfortunately. So here is the deal I'm looking at currently, 2013 Ram 1500 4x2 crew cab V6 8 speed auto 3.21 axle ratio, copperhead pearl with the brown/beige interior (not that it changes the prices just thought you might like to know), ok now for the totally awesome options, big horn package, rambox cargo system, rear defroster (can you tell I am used to snow and other freezing weather issues), and the Anti-Spin differential (I blame the LSD thread the other week for this one). To the tune of 31,324, 7256 off MSRP, with dealer incentives. Now I've seen as low as 8500 off MSRP advertised from some dealers, david stanely dodge for those who will ask later, but they don't offer the options I want so ENCS isn't currently willing to match that. So question being, as this will be a factory order, do yall think I can get much if any better? Also are there any crucial options that yall think I'm missing, except for the hemi, I know I know but I want that 25mpg highway. Also as an aside, anyone seen those sweet chrome with white gold accent 20" wheels on some of the laramies, god I wish I could get those babies. All criticism is welcome, I'll even take a good deal of ball bustin about the V6.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Are you sure you want a 6 cylinder in such a big heavy truck?

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man it sounds good BBBUUUUUUUUUUT, you said your use to snow and other freezing weather issues sssoooooooooo why would you settle for a 4x2 and not a 4x4. Im saying this casue i went from a 4x2 and hated it so i had to go get the 4x4 and lost some money on that deal (think of it like a gun or condum...better have one and not need it then not have one and need it). The v6/hemi thing well, i pushing 22-24 mpg on the highway and about 12-14 city now but thats with a few mods and thats with a v8 hemi. the deal sounds good and ive heard of a few people going through the ENCS deal with the military **** at one point i was thinking about doing it for a Harley. All im saying i guess is if this is what you want go for it but don't settle!!!

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Are you sure you want a 6 cylinder in such a big heavy truck?
Knew that was coming, as I'm sure you're aware the V6 has more HP than V8s of yesteryear or some such. Everything I've heard is that its plenty of pull, also I don't plan on towing much if ever, more a put my motorcycle, that I don't have yet damn being overseas, and probably use it to move furniture if that is necessary.
Man it sounds good BBBUUUUUUUUUUT, you said your use to snow and other freezing weather issues sssoooooooooo why would you settle for a 4x2 and not a 4x4. Im saying this casue i went from a 4x2 and hated it so i had to go get the 4x4 and lost some money on that deal (think of it like a gun or condum...better have one and not need it then not have one and need it). The v6/hemi thing well, i pushing 22-24 mpg on the highway and about 12-14 city now but thats with a few mods and thats with a v8 hemi. the deal sounds good and ive heard of a few people going through the ENCS deal with the military **** at one point i was thinking about doing it for a Harley. All im saying i guess is if this is what you want go for it but don't settle!!!
Primarily the ~4000 up charge, that and I used to driving in missouri and michigan style blizzards in everything from mini-vans to mercury Capri's all in the 4x2 variety so while it would be honey sweet to have a 4x4 I don't think its worth the expense to me, knock on wood. I don't really feel like I'm settling too much I really do want that extra 1000 off but I'm not too sure I'd be able to get it, I might harass the encs guy some more see what I can do, I got until at least September before I'll be stateside so I can waste some time to get what I want.

Oh I forgot the Wheel to Wheel side steps, I'm thinking about taking this out as I can probably super easy get this later down the road and probably a lot cheaper third party, I know side steps are common but I really like that they are wheel to wheel. BTW how hilarious is this, Ram advertises it as gas saving, which fine if it does they are talking about I think I saw it was .01 or .04% increase in fuel efficiency I calculated it out one evening based on $4.00 a gallon it would take you over 700,000 miles for it to pay itself off.

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of those "advertised prices" showing 8-10k off sticker, are if you qualify for every discount offered, and no one does, for instance, you cannot qualify for the lease discount still buy the truck with discounts offered for new buyers, or loyalty etc... are you getting the 8.4 U-connect? heated seats? Heated steering? Power Sliding rear window? Spray in Bedliner (I would insist on the bedliner) If your getting these options and that includes taxes and fees, Id say your getting a great deal. But then, it would also depend on where your buying, because in some areas prices are lower than in others, due to demand and availability.

Ike

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
A lot of those "advertised prices" showing 8-10k off sticker, are if you qualify for every discount offered, and no one does, for instance, you cannot qualify for the lease discount still buy the truck with discounts offered for new buyers, or loyalty etc... are you getting the 8.4 U-connect? heated seats? Heated steering? Power Sliding rear window? Spray in Bedliner (I would insist on the bedliner and ask for the undercoating, paint sealant and fabric protection to be included). you will never know unless you ask. If your getting these options and that includes taxes and fees, Id say your getting a great deal. But then, it would also depend on where your buying, because in some areas prices are lower than in others, due to demand and availability.

Ike

This isn't an advertised price this is actual quoted price based on what I qualify for. its the uconnect 5.0, I don't want the 8 honestly I hate navigation its one of those strange things I came home from the states once and saw and was baffled by, I'm getting old at a young age and technology is scary, lol I'm 28 and can't use my dads cellphone. It doesn't have the convenience package which is the heated seats, I've had heated seats before in a Saab I owned never used the things even in the cold months just never thought about it so I don't see the need. All SLTs and up trim come with power sliding window I'm pretty sure, this one does. As for the bedliner I am 99% sure that the ram cargo management system comes with the spray in line if it doesn't I'll get a bedrug I've heard good things about them and would be able to order that after purchase without an issue, would actually prefer to get the bedrug. Ok thanks for bringing up the rust protection and fabric protection, the encs guy keeps pushing this, I think he calls it ?zygot? fabric and rust protection. Now in my research through other car buying sites a couple of them have claimed that rust protection is about the biggest rip off right next to the extended warranty since most all manufactures rust protect the undercarriage these days factory stock, anyone have any information on this with regards to RAM trucks? Besides title and tax that covers it all.

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rust protection is a rip-off, Its more for sound deadening. I got the whole package only because I had a serious issue with the dealership and to make up for it they offered to do it at no cost. I have a written warrenty on the paint protection for 5 years.

And as far as the rest of the options, the bottom line is if your happy with your deal thats all that matters. If your happy then its a good deal. everyone may tell you (including me) What they would ask for, but bottom line is you know what you want and have to have to be happy.

Good luck, and Thanks for your service.
Ike

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Rust protection is a rip-off, Its more for sound deadening. I got the whole package only because I had a serious issue with the dealership and to make up for it they offered to do it at no cost. I have a written warrenty on the paint protection for 5 years.

And as far as the rest of the options, the bottom line is if your happy with your deal thats all that matters. If your happy then its a good deal. everyone may tell you (including me) What they would ask for, but bottom line is you know what you want and have to have to be happy.

Good luck, and Thanks for your service.
Ike

Happiness is reserved for civilians :anitoof: I think its the military rubbing off on me but I'm not happy unless someone else is miserable, in this case the dealer, I think the best I can hope for is a grudging dislike between the both of us, I really dislike dealerships, well sales people in general, I trust none of them. Really I'm a care free person, except when it comes to shopping, too much time overseas where everyone tries like hell to rip you off because you're a foreigner.

I think its a good deal, I think if it was a truck on a lot I'd be able to get a slightly better deal but then I don't think I'm going to find the exact truck I want on a lot either, and getting what I want is worth the 1000-1500 I think I'd be able to save. But on that note if any of you see a slt v6 with the big horn package for 9-10k+ off MSRP you let me know, I can get encs to adjust my price if I find a lower price all the way up til I take delivery, which like I said won't be till at least September.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you're on the right track to get a great deal.
Two questions:
-I also second questioning yuour choice of 4x2 if you're going to drive in a winter climate. I can't imagine having only 2WD; its just too hard to get grip and get going!?
-I have love for the new V6 but are you planning on towing at all? V6 + 3.21 isn't going to be quick off the lights OR tow much of anything.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Sounds like you're on the right track to get a great deal.
Two questions:
-I also second questioning yuour choice of 4x2 if you're going to drive in a winter climate. I can't imagine having only 2WD; its just too hard to get grip and get going!?
-I have love for the new V6 but are you planning on towing at all? V6 + 3.21 isn't going to be quick off the lights OR tow much of anything.

I'm waiting for my new orders to get cut but I'm currently looking at hawaii, Louisiana or tampa bay, Florida. I'm not really concerned about icy/blizzard style winter climate, its more that I can't imagine a vehicle without a rear defrost and I want the option there more for piece of mind than anything else. I don't imagine I'll be towing at all, at the most a motorcycle trailer, I have put thought into a higher ratio but not only am I not sure what the real gains to loses are (like actual/advertised numbers) but I'm not even seeing it as an option to change on rams build and price options for the slt crew.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
DEFINITELY get the 3.55 rear axle ratio with the limited slip option (this should be standard IMO)... A 4x2 will be FINE with that engine especially with the 8 speed, but the 3.55 will help if you ever decide to hook a trailer up to it. Oh and NAV is optional on the 8.4. I ordered mine without. 500 dollar savings.

I got the RamBox system as well... I can't wait! I won't have crap lying in my bed anymore. SWEET!

It sounds to me like you have it all figured out though. You know what you want, and you know what you're willing to pay for it.

Chris

Last edited:

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My $0.02...if you're not coming home until September why not wait until then? Or at least closer. I'm not sure how long this program you're using takes, but I think you could get a much better deal in September. Or closer to that time.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
My $0.02...if you're not coming home until September why not wait until then? Or at least closer. I'm not sure how long this program you're using takes, but I think you could get a much better deal in September. Or closer to that time.

For a handful of reasons, some of them logical some of them not so much. I probably won't pull the trigger until I get orders, try to harass the guy some more until I get the price down and his blood pressure up as much as possible.

Reason 1- one less thing to worry about and right now I'm not in a rush or really at all in need of a vehicle it gives me more pushing power where as if I wait till the end of the line I'm in more of a rush.

Reason 2- the 14s will probably be out by September which means I either build a 14 which will cost me quite possibly more (especially with lower factory incentives) or get the 13 for possibly cheaper, I still don't see many 12s for 10k or more off MSRP, but without all the options I want or with more options than I want at an increased cost.

Reason 3 - Serious new car envy, my dad just got a new suv.

Reason 4 - Not sure if its the manufacturer or ENCS themselves but they'll give me 7.5% interest on the money I give them between the time I order and the time I take delivery up to I believe 500 but it might have been 750, which isn't shabby.

Reason 5 - If I start making normal "monthly payments" its like playing a mind game on myself, sure I can give them 10000 down and seriously cut my payments, but I don't like seeing my accounts drop that big all at once, or I can give them 500 a paycheck until I take delivery and its almost like having a 5 year loan instead of a 4 year loan except I have 0.00 apr the first year and refinance at the end of the first year. Sounds kinda crazy I know but it works prettier in my head.

Reason 6 - it is SERIOUSLY boring out here, I literally spend 80% of my free time searching this forum, dealer sites, ramtrucks.com and screwing with the dealer. So getting things out just saves my sanity, and I assure you my guys appreciate it.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Where are you located currently?

I like the "car envy" comment. lol

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Reason 2- the 14s will probably be out by September which means I either build a 14 which will cost me quite possibly more (especially with lower factory incentives) or get the 13 for possibly cheaper, I still don't see many 12s for 10k or more off MSRP, but without all the options I want or with more options than I want at an increased cost"

My '12 MSRP 46,950. out the door (taxes and fees included) 38K. after Jan 1st. 8950 off MSRP, Plus the whole paint sealant, fabric /Leather, undercoating deal. But it was not the most pleasant expirience, and I wont be going back to that dealership to buy again.

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Do NOT under ANY circumstances pay for paint sealant or fabric protectant unless you want the warranty that some give to you. It's usually NOT worth it and a total rip.

I know some will add it on at N/C due to issues with the deal and that's OK, but it's NOT worth the cost.

I got my '13 Sport CC 4x4 with the V8 and A8, Air suspension Ram boxes, and ALL the tech for $40,725 and MSRP was just over $51,000 so use that info! I also posted up invoice pricing on this forum so look at it.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Do NOT under ANY circumstances pay for paint sealant or fabric protectant unless you want the warranty that some give to you. It's usually NOT worth it and a total rip.

I know some will add it on at N/C due to issues with the deal and that's OK, but it's NOT worth the cost.

I got my '13 Sport CC 4x4 with the V8 and A8, Air suspension Ram boxes, and ALL the tech for $40,725 and MSRP was just over $51,000 so use that info! I also posted up invoice pricing on this forum so look at it.

Copy all, that's about what I expected to hear on the paint and stuff. That sounds like a great deal compared to what I've been seeing. Was that a special order or car on the lot? I'll have to see how bad I can push this guy. How you liking the ram boxes?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
When you say David Stanley, in what city is that?