amp hook up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i havnt had my sub hooked up for a while cause the remote turn on on my stereo wont power up my amp. my buddy and i were thinking i could wire my amp remote turn on wire straight to my battery with a switch somewhere in the wire. does any body think this would work or be a bad idea.

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Should work, I did something similar with a headunit in a truck I had and never had any problems.The only problem I can see is if you forget to turn it off and drain your battery.

02hairlessram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It works. I had a bud that did it, but the only problem he had was keep getting whining noise.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
You can do battery and switch but you may get feed back. I highly suggest you use a ign terminal off your fuse block, that way you turn truck amp shuts off no dead battery. If you do get a whine check your ground first make sure it is clean and bare metal, and the metal is actually grounded also. If it still whines use a filter like METRA Raptor NF-125 GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR NOISE SUPPRESSOR FILTER KILLER 12 AMP on eBay!
Remember when checking ground to look at grounds under hood also, a bad battery ground can start there.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run it off you're cig lighter. I have mine ran off power port that ran into my console. Took the console out, put a switch in between the wire and the amp and now I run it off a switch. Its nice for when you have a headache you don't have to change all the settings in the headunit you just turn the amp off all together.

OP
OP
R

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the noise suppressor, does it get wired between the amp and the 12v. i ask because a lot of the stuff i find is for the rca hook up.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
No, power to the radio. That is where you noise is starting, many things can cause them from bad grounds to some plug wires and ign box's. The noise needs to be stopped at head unit, it was always there you just boosted the signal when you added the amp.
I have not used any filters with the rca ports before so cant give you much info on them.

OP
OP
R

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok thanks for the info guys i think im gonna try this. its a lot cheaper than getting a new deck.

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
You can do battery and switch but you may get feed back. I highly suggest you use a ign terminal off your fuse block, that way you turn truck amp shuts off no dead battery. If you do get a whine check your ground first make sure it is clean and bare metal, and the metal is actually grounded also. If it still whines use a filter like METRA Raptor NF-125 GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR NOISE SUPPRESSOR FILTER KILLER 12 AMP on eBay!
Remember when checking ground to look at grounds under hood also, a bad battery ground can start there.

I have a 2001.. if I understand you correctly I can run my REM wire for my amp turn on to my ignition fuse? Do I just plug the wire in with the fuse?

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
c'mon fellas give me hand here...!! I'm not the best when it come to this crap...