Amsoil questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've heard alot of great things about amsoil, but what makes it soo much better than royal purple or mobile 1 or any other full synthetic out there?

I've also heard guys going 15,000 miles or more on a oil change. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what your NOT suppose to do?? What makes this oil so good that you can run it that long and not create sludge buildup and whatnot?

I'm not doubting or saying anything bad about the product, I've always wanted to try it. I've just never convinced myself to spend that much money on oil..

I guess what I'm looking for is somebody to explain and convince me to make a permanent switch over. I'm sure that wont be too hard to do, so let the convincing begin!

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make you fat...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
synthetic thread

Group 4 and 5 oils are true synthetic and are the best you can find. Amsoil and RP are both top teir synthetic group 4, Mobil one is group 3. Everything you need to know is in the other thread.

OP
OP
bloombloom88

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's some good info bud. But I still have questions. I have 61,000 on the clock. I bought the truck with 42,000 and have run mobile 1 since. God knows what the previous owner used..

If I switch and stay with amsoil, or another true synthetic, will it clean any gunk that's built up inside the motor overtime, over numerous oil changes?

Obviously, running this stuff from day 1 would be ideal, but starting on a motor with 60,000 miles? Would it just be overkill or am I just preventing any further sludge and gunk from building up inside?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make you fat...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Basic chemistry like attracts like, Synthetic oil is still oil and will clean. Sludge comes from either a poorly designed engine like some of the toyotas last decade, or a poorly functioning PCV valve. With as many miles as you have, I would bet it is time for a new PCV. And yes absolutely group 4 or 5 oil will clean the heck out of your engine if you have a good working PCV and oil pressure, and will last longer then any group 3 in my opinion.

FamRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hopefully '13 or '14
Engine
most likely 3.6
I change my oil every 35,000 miles. new filter every 12,500
2007 Dodge Magnum SXT
Amsoil signature series in the engine
Amsoil ATF in the trans.
Severe gear 75-140 in the diff.
28mpg hwy from a vehicle that was estomated at 22 hwy.

Last edited:

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Not knocking Mobil 1, but your truck may end up being quieter with Amsoil. Mine is. I put Amsoil in a 7.3 Powerstroke with around 60,000 ish miles a long time ago, and it started having more blowby. The oil change guy that we used at work told me that was because it had alot of carbon buildup on the rings and the synthetic oil washed it off. He said it would probably "heal" itself. I dunno. I am NOT saying this is true, just that the oil change guy told me that. LOL. That truck was pretty hot rodded and was driven very hard.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Basic chemistry like attracts like, Synthetic oil is still oil and will clean. Sludge comes from either a poorly designed engine like some of the toyotas last decade, or a poorly functioning PCV valve. With as many miles as you have, I would bet it is time for a new PCV. And yes absolutely group 4 or 5 oil will clean the heck out of your engine if you have a good working PCV and oil pressure, and will last longer then any group 3 in my opinion.

How often are we supposed to change our PCV valves? Like I said earlier, I idle alot and such, so I'm wondering if I need to do things like this more often, etc.

FamRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hopefully '13 or '14
Engine
most likely 3.6
Not knocking Mobil 1, but your truck may end up being quieter with Amsoil. Mine is. I put Amsoil in a 7.3 Powerstroke with around 60,000 ish miles a long time ago, and it started having more blowby. The oil change guy that we used at work told me that was because it had alot of carbon buildup on the rings and the synthetic oil washed it off. He said it would probably "heal" itself. I dunno. I am NOT saying this is true, just that the oil change guy told me that. LOL. That truck was pretty hot rodded and was driven very hard.

Mobile 1 is a second choice in a pinch for me, but the Amsoil will definately clean the crap out of anything running conventional. No synthetic is a fix for prior damage.
People used to blame synthetics for causing leaks, because they would clean out all the sludge that the previouse oil left behind.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How often are we supposed to change our PCV valves? Like I said earlier, I idle alot and such, so I'm wondering if I need to do things like this more often, etc.

Almost every Manufacturer recommends a PCV change at 30k I believe. Some people even pop them out and clean them.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
how do u clean them? Spray them with brake cleaner? If they're cheap, it would be better to replace. I am almost to 30,000 miles already so I need to look into this. When they are bad, do they allow more flow or less? Seems like they would just stop up if clogged. And yeah, I was not blaming the oil, because I kinda believed the oil change guy about the rings. It was totally me driving my old truck too hard haha.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't clean mine, I just buy new ones, but some guys will do anything to save a dollar. When they clog your engine's top end pressure goes up, and the pressure has to go somewhere. PCV seams like a small item, but I believe it single-handedly is responsible for most of the blown gaskets. I often wonder why manufacturers don't spend more time designing them to last longer. if your rig has 30k at least on pcv, time to swap it. Just twist and pop and replace, no need to pay a mechanic to do it.

OP
OP
bloombloom88

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't clean mine, I just buy new ones, but some guys will do anything to save a dollar. When they clog your engine's top end pressure goes up, and the pressure has to go somewhere. PCV seams like a small item, but I believe it single-handedly is responsible for most of the blown gaskets. I often wonder why manufacturers don't spend more time designing them to last longer. if your rig has 30k at least on pcv, time to swap it. Just twist and pop and replace, no need to pay a mechanic to do it.

I've got 61,000 on mine, guess ill be changing it this weekend. I didn't know the pcv valve was so important until now

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what weight amsoil are guys going with? Im interested in using this...and what filter?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what weight amsoil are guys going with? Im interested in using this...and what filter?

5w20 is what you are supposed to run in the hemi, and because this oil is so thin it is that much more important to run synthetic in my opinion.

OP
OP
bloombloom88

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do I figure out what oil filter to buy of amsoils website? All of the different filter numbers mean nothing to me lol. I'm not sure if hemi and 4.7 filters are different in size or not but I have a 4.7

eryk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
does anyone know if i can use the ams oil syncromesh in my nv4500?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd ask Amsoil, they better be able to help you! Also, you should definitely get their filters, they use synthetic fibers which last way longer then the paper ones you see in the orange. Since you are using synthetic, you would have to either be a ******** or really rich to not extend your oil change interval. If your truck is still under warranty you might as well use Mobil 1 or Bosch filters which are part syn fiber, part cellulose that would definitely get you to 5k OCI. Once you are out of warranty, I would feel comfortable going to 10k OCI's with Amsoil. I would even go further in the Hemi, and further yet with the Cummins, but the loud Rumor is the 4.7 is prone to grow sludge.

Definitely keep that PCV changed with that 4.7! Once you are out of warranty I would send a sample of your Amsoil oil/filter combo after 7500 miles on it to Blackstone Labs. Once they determine how that oil is doing in your specific truck, they can give you a recommendation on exactly how long your oil should last. And from then on you will know how many miles you can get from your new oil, and as long as you keep the PCV healthy, it should really not change much.

OP
OP
bloombloom88

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd ask Amsoil, they better be able to help you! Also, you should definitely get their filters, they use synthetic fibers which last way longer then the paper ones you see in the orange. Since you are using synthetic, you would have to either be a ******** or really rich to not extend your oil change interval. If your truck is still under warranty you might as well use Mobil 1 or Bosch filters which are part syn fiber, part cellulose that would definitely get you to 5k OCI. Once you are out of warranty, I would feel comfortable going to 10k OCI's with Amsoil. I would even go further in the Hemi, and further yet with the Cummins, but the loud Rumor is the 4.7 is prone to grow sludge.

Definitely keep that PCV changed with that 4.7! Once you are out of warranty I would send a sample of your Amsoil oil/filter combo after 7500 miles on it to Blackstone Labs. Once they determine how that oil is doing in your specific truck, they can give you a recommendation on exactly how long your oil should last. And from then on you will know how many miles you can get from your new oil, and as long as you keep the PCV healthy, it should really not change much.

I was planning on using their filters with the oil. I'm not worried about the warranty, it's not via dodge anyways.. If I can figure out the filter number tonight ill place my order ASAP and try to change this weekend with a new pcv valve.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I was planning on using their filters with the oil. I'm not worried about the warranty, it's not via dodge anyways.. If I can figure out the filter number tonight ill place my order ASAP and try to change this weekend with a new pcv valve.

They list your filter for a 2009 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 to be #EAO11.

OP
OP
bloombloom88

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks bud, I just placed my order! 2 filters and 7 quarts.

Ill do my first filter change at 7500 miles just to make sure I keep this first round of oil as clean as possible up until 15,000 I figured whatever gunk is already in the motor now will start being cleaned out. Might as well just change the filter twice and the oil once the first time around