Another Brake Controller setting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonrev321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hello,

2016 Ram 2500 with OEM Brake controller.

Everything I read about setting the break controller says to keep adjusting the gain up until the trailer breaks lock up using the manual slide activator only when going about 20MPH than back off the gain a bit.

I am unable to get this to happen. Trailer is about 5500lbs. Have tried light and heavy electric and from about 5 on the gain setting all the way to 10 and trailer brakes won't lock up.

When using the manual slider only I can feel the trailer brakes engaging and slowing the vehicle/trailer combination down and when driving it doesn't feel lke the trailer is pushing me when I go to break at a stop light but the inability to get any kind of varied response from any setting at all concerns me.

I have read the other threads on this subject on this forum and while helpful didnt fully address what I am experiencing. Someone mentioned a 9 step procedure in the owners manual for setting the break controller. I can't find this in my 2016 manual. Can anyone advise what these 9 steps are?

Thanks for any assist.
Rgds
nonrev

OP
OP
N

nonrev321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hi, thanks for the info. Really not sure that trying this on gravel is the answer. When I did it on asphalt I could feel the trailer brakes gently engaging and slowing the truck/trailer combination down but it was far from a lock-out, more like a gradual stop like you would come to at a stop sign. Thanks for the link to the manual. After looking at the 9 steps RAM advises to use for setting the Brake Controller they are exactly like I had found on-line elsewhere when googling the procedure so I have done the RAM procedure as instructed. No joy. Had an on-line Chat with the RAM Help yesterday... they had no answer even after I informed them of the TSB on this issue. They advised I tow the trailer to my local RAM dealer and have them test it (Trailer is Brand new from Mfg). I can see where this is going with the RAM folks. Some tests at the dealer ($$$) and maybe an attempted fix on something they "Guessed" it might be ($$$) but no resolution.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My trailer is 29 yrs old and my ITBC on my 17 won' lock the brakes up either. I have it set now to where the combo stops well with no jerking or anything. It's very smooth and brakes well.

My trailer brake magnets may be a little weak now or the wiring may be aged but I'm not worried. When I hit the manual lever on the ITBC the trailer brakes are strong so off I go.

If You have strong trailer braking, but they won't lock up, personally I wouldn't worry about it, but that's Just me. Do what you feel is best.

Or install a prodigy P3. I have one from my prior tv, and its a stronger braking unit than the factory piece. I do believe therr is a tsb on the 16s itbc so i dont kmow why they wouldnt reflash it for you? Good luck.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How old is your trailer? Could the brakes need adjusting? When I'm pulling a trailer I go up on the gain until I don't feel the trailer trying to push the truck and that's where I stop.

Just read your last post about the trailer being new. I would still check the brakes to make sure they are adjusted properly. Or try another trailer to verify if it's the truck or trailer.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Just to add my experiences into the pile, my truck OEM brake controller can not / never has been able to lock up the brakes on either my small 3500lb camp trailer or my 14k dump trailer. I've tried it on all settings with the gain at 10 for light/heavy electric.

As @GsRAM said, my loads also stop nice and smoothly and the trailer still pulls the truck to a stop as it should without any jerking or slack from the shank.

BUT... it doesnt necessarily make me feel super confident knowing my trailer brakes will never be able to have their full brake capability used. I go (albeit, slowly) down some pretty nasty mountain roads (some paved, some not) with my truck and around an 8k trailer. Knowing my brakes arent working to their potential on pavement on those steeper parts of the road is not good.

15,000 towing miles logged on the EVIC so far though without any issues... RAM might just know something we don't, would be great to have some insight.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Just to add my experiences into the pile, my truck OEM brake controller can not / never has been able to lock up the brakes on either my small 3500lb camp trailer or my 14k dump trailer. I've tried it on all settings with the gain at 10 for light/heavy electric.

As @GsRAM said, my loads also stop nice and smoothly and the trailer still pulls the truck to a stop as it should without any jerking or slack from the shank.

BUT... it doesnt necessarily make me feel super confident knowing my trailer brakes will never be able to have their full brake capability used. I go (albeit, slowly) down some pretty nasty mountain roads (some paved, some not) with my truck and around an 8k trailer. Knowing my brakes arent working to their potential on pavement on those steeper parts of the road is not good.

15,000 towing miles logged on the EVIC so far though without any issues... RAM might just know something we don't, would be great to have some insight.
Okay, so I did some searching from a few different sites. Found out some interesting things, which may or may not have been already stated on our forum in the past.

The 2013MY-and-up OEM brake controller use Pulse Width Modulation to power the brakes. They pulse the elctricity to the brakes from the PWM at around 240mhz. Essentially, the magnets don't "clamp down" to the drum housing, they pulse rapidly. This pulsing is fast enough to where we can't "feel" it, but evidently RAM calls this safer than the "old style"?

I'm curious whether it would keep the drums locked if I stop the truck, manually squeeze the controller, and take off slow with it squeezed. I kinda want to know if this is supposed to be the new kind of wonky "trailer ABS".

JhnyWalter

Reaction score
Ram Year
dodge 2007
Engine
1.8-Liter Inline-4
This is a very specific issue about trailer brake controller. I would turn to the service to the manufacturer.
Or to people who are specifically involved in solving such issues in practice like:Etrailer site.
You can do Q\A easy.I think there you will be given a fully expanded answer that is based on the practice of the solution
I was doing it for my 2015 model.
Jhny