Any Tesla radio installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dndssc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You cannot use the stock uconnect dual mics on the tesla system. to put a different mic on you must desolder the existing mic and solder in a new one
Thanks, can you put a image to show us where are the solder points on tesla unit mobo please??

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just fitted mine today.
Had to change language to english.
Had to change am radio from USA to Europe.
Used factory GPS antenna, used supplied adaptor on factory radio antenna. Had to modify one plug (cut a slot in it) to suit OEM plug.
Everything else worked straight up, 7 speed fan, heated and cooled seats, steering wheel controls etc.
The extra audio gain is handy...
Setup for metric already....
Went to play store and downloaded latest igo and maps, working perfectly...
So cheap now it's not worth the effort to pirate....
Google maps working perfectly.
Here maps and latest sygic wouldn't work.

Things not working 100,%

1. Cluster time in 24h
2. Front doors (open) transposed on display, cluster correct.
3. Reverse cam not working on unit, display on mirror as normal.
4. Cargo cam not working.
5. Trailer brake setup screen missing.

2015 ram 2500 longhorn RHD....

Purchased on eBay, but manufactured by espony cargo.

Very happy with unit, a worthwhile upgrade. The freedom of running an android system makes up for the loss of the OEM slickness.
Particularly here , as we can't get firmware upgrades or maps for the uconnect unit.
The minor problems don't worry me too much, I've contacted the seller so maybe a firmware upgrade might happen.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just fitted mine today.
Had to change language to english.
Had to change am radio from USA to Europe.
Used factory GPS antenna, used supplied adaptor on factory radio antenna. Had to modify one plug (cut a slot in it) to suit OEM plug.
Everything else worked straight up, 7 speed fan, heated and cooled seats, steering wheel controls etc.
The extra audio gain is handy...
Setup for metric already....
Went to play store and downloaded latest igo and maps, working perfectly...
So cheap now it's not worth the effort to pirate....
Google maps working perfectly.
Here maps and latest sygic wouldn't work.

Things not working 100,%

1. Cluster time in 24h
2. Front doors (open) transposed on display, cluster correct.
3. Reverse cam not working on unit, display on mirror as normal.
4. Cargo cam not working.
5. Trailer brake setup screen missing.

2015 ram 2500 longhorn RHD....

Purchased on eBay, but manufactured by espony cargo.

Very happy with unit, a worthwhile upgrade. The freedom of running an android system makes up for the loss of the OEM slickness.
Particularly here , as we can't get firmware upgrades or maps for the uconnect unit.
The minor problems don't worry me too much, I've contacted the seller so maybe a firmware upgrade might happen.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Are you saying the backup camera always displayed on the rear view mirror? If so you need to run it down to the radio. Same would go with the cargo cam. Just look for a tutorial on upgrading to an 8.4 or the 5 inch and you should be set.

24 hour in the cluster seems to be a universal issue unfortunately. Wish I had gotten the GPS plug with mine, the stock plug doesn't fit their unit so had to use the supplied GPS modular.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you saying the backup camera always displayed on the rear view mirror? If so you need to run it down to the radio. Same would go with the cargo cam. Just look for a tutorial on upgrading to an 8.4 or the 5 inch and you should be set.

24 hour in the cluster seems to be a universal issue unfortunately. Wish I had gotten the GPS plug with mine, the stock plug doesn't fit their unit so had to use the supplied GPS modular.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
So it's possible to just use the stock GPS antenna?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
Cummins owner here jumped over from Cummins forum. Not many Diesel guys know or have done anything with the Tesla upgrade. I would like to clear up a few things for a couple of us that would.
Is there any US based companies that are selling these, I've reached out to a few overseas suppliers and haven't had any feedback on my questions. Our main concerns are the following:

Most all of ours are 4 speed blowers. Are the touchscreen controls working flawlessly. Nothing would be worse than taking a trip acabugging out.

Second. Can the background screen be changed easily, I've read yes no etc . Obviously can't have a gasser on ours haha.

How are the MPH temps etc etc formats working. I've seen alot of incorrect units of measure.

Lastly, since we're going to lose XM, how could I do music WITHOUT relying on my phone etc etc.. local stations here are garbage so XM is a must right now..

Thanks for helping out a fellow RAM family

Linkswell is a company in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca that supplies the radios to Al & Ed's autosound. The owner and technician are very responsive if you email questions.
The technician I spoke with at Linkswell stated you can set up the radio to run 4 or 7 speed fan, it just depends on what your truck came with (you can't change your stock fan from 4 to 7, for example).
You can change the units of measure between metric and standard, but I can't vouch for the accuracy as the unit I played with was on a test bench.
You have to use the XM app and tether your phone via Wi-Fi as there is NO XM module
I didn't ask about backgrounds, but I'll make sure to do so next time I talk to him and post the answer.
The radio comes with a dedicated GPS antenna

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried to use voice commands? I'd be curious to know how they worked with the GPS, phone, etc.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just a quick update to those concerned about the background image. I downloaded the paid version of car launcher to mess around with. The thing is super customizable. You can have any image you want in the background, reshape areas (different pictures in each if wanted) and add many different widgets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
6dca81a04c317ea1128067456e6efb78.jpg
Sorry for the ignorance, but is Carlauncher a separate app which changes the interface theme?

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Linkswell is the name of the US based company who deals with these. I haven't contacted them at all, but reports are their system is 3x as much as these. I haven't seen reports of any difference, but there very well may be.
The Climate control thing has been pretty well figured out. Our units came with three different presets (Low, Mid, Hi) relating to trim level. Low has the 4 speed fan setting.
The background cannot be changed with the original software, but different car launcher can be easily downloaded/installed from the play store. Most are fully customizable to better suit the diesel crowd (TAPOUT, Monster Energy, etc.) [emoji38]
Others may comment but I haven't played with the readouts much. The speed is GPS based so it's not going to match your cluster very well.
I think mdifilippo has played some with some satellite-esk radio app. Other than that, there are a ton of options if you have a music library. You can run off SD card, USB, or transfer to the internal storage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mdifilippo types faster than I...

The biggest difference is the Linkswell units have the IGO navigation built in so you don't need to tether your phone (and responsive tech support) . I go camping a lot, so this is the feature I need.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The biggest difference is the Linkswell units have the IGO navigation built in so you don't need to tether your phone (and responsive tech support) . I go camping a lot, so this is the feature I need.
Isn't that something you can just download?

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Isn't that something you can just download?

Yes, but the Linkswell units can run the navigation without a phone tethered. The other units need a phone to be tethered for navigation use. This means you are at the mercy of your phone signal and data usage. All radios require you to tether to use all other apps.

GMScreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, but the Linkswell units can run the navigation without a phone tethered. The other units need a phone to be tethered for navigation use. This means you are at the mercy of your phone signal and data usage. All radios require you to tether to use all other apps.
but you can download the maps and then use it offline! like google maps, even IGO maps on the playstore

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah I have a feeling all its doing is downloading the maps. The units are the same and any "live map" GPS app needs an internet connection. US based tech support is certainly a plus but still a big price tag at that. But everyone has their preference not bashing anyones decisions.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
but you can download the maps and then use it offline! like google maps, even IGO maps on the playstore
This...linkswell is puffing. It is the exact same unit with their modifications which are minimal and easily replicated. Everything listed in this thread thus far shows you how to do what they are doing.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This...linkswell is puffing. It is the exact same unit with their modifications which are minimal and easily replicated. Everything listed in this thread thus far shows you how to do what they are doing.

That's good to know! Just so I understand, on any of these radios, can you download entire regional maps which you can then navigate to multiple points from, or do you download maps with predetermined directions? Can you search POIs on the maps you download? If you use the downloaded maps, can you get real-time traffic using these?
So many questions...=)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's good to know! Just so I understand, on any of these radios, can you download entire regional maps which you can then navigate to multiple points from, or do you download maps with predetermined directions? Can you search POIs on the maps you download? If you use the downloaded maps, can you get real-time traffic using these?
So many questions...=)
Yes, so long as you have an active data connection. You can however use apps like google maps offline with a downloaded copy of your region purely for navigation.

GMScreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, so long as you have an active data connection. You can however use apps like google maps offline with a downloaded copy of your region purely for navigation.

you don't need an active connection to use the navigations apps, you need the active connection only to download the maps previously, (can be when you have wifi in your home) and then use it offline in the road with no active connection.

you can download any of this navigation apps from the play store

IGO MAPS https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nng.igo.primong.igoworld
Google Maps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps
Waze https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze

All this app you can download the maps of a region, state, country on an active connection and then use it offline.
for traffic live updates, you will need the active data connection

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
you don't need an active connection to use the navigations apps, you need the active connection only to download the maps previously, (can be when you have wifi in your home) and then use it offline in the road with no active connection.

you can download any of this navigation apps from the play store

IGO MAPS https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nng.igo.primong.igoworld
Google Maps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps
Waze https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze

All this app you can download the maps of a region, state, country on an active connection and then use it offline.
for traffic live updates, you will need the active data connection
That's what I said...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye